Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The weather in the USA...

Rebecca Solnit is a good antidote to pessism. It's not about being zombie mind less consumers. It's not about individual consumer choice, except for the billionaire class.

The world's largest institutional user of fossil fuels is the US Military. The majority of the world's pollution is caused by 100 companies. Donella Meadows' Leverage Points shows how it works.

Rebecca Solnit is a good antidote to pessism. It's not about being zombie mind less consumers. It's not about individual consumer choice, except for the billionaire class.

The world's largest institutional user of fossil fuels is the US Military. The majority of the world's pollution is caused by 100 companies. Donella Meadows' Leverage Points shows how it works.

But that is mindless. That shit is zombie behaviour.

I deleted the post I think you were responding too. When I read it back seemed florid and ungrounded.

Recent satellite pictures of Lake Mead show the extent of water loss.

This link has a picture where you can slide the picture from one side to the other to compare the old extent of the lake with how it looks now.

As of 18 July 2022, Lake Mead was filled to just 27% of capacity - it's lowest level since April 1937, when the reservoir was still being filled for the first time.

Some more links to the same story.

This LA Times gives more detail about the local impact of water loss.

The drought has brought a reduced snowpack, massive dust storms, persistent wildfires and vegetation that requires more water. Climate change and accelerated carbon emissions have exacerbated the drought’s effects, which makes it more difficult for reservoirs to recharge, according to Michael Cohen of the Pacific Institute.

Our way of life is already impacted,” Cohen said. “You can certainly argue that people’s lives are changing right now, because of climate change. And a lot of climate change just gets manifested in water, which means hotter, drier, less water available.”

Severe water restrictions are in place across the Western states as reservoirs and other sources of water dwindle. Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Camille Calimlim Touton said during a Senate hearing in Washington last month that larger reductions in water usage are needed to maintain reservoirs such as Lake Mead and Lake Powell.
“A warmer, drier West is what we are seeing today,” Touton told the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. “And the challenges we are seeing today are unlike anything we have seen in our history.”
Cohen said agencies that regulate water use and irrigation are grappling with the effects of climate change. He says those agencies need to reach out to state and federal lawmakers to push for more action on carbon emissions and climate change, because reservoirs will not be able to recharge.

“Because without that, we’re not going to catch up. What people associate with life in the West, it’s just gonna go away,” Cohen said.

Those golf courses are still permitted to keep their greens green, but they’re now using reclaimed and recycled water. So that’s alright then.

Last month, California Gov. Gavin Newsom implored the state's largest water suppliers to combat drought and better engage customers to ensure all residents are doing their part to save water. But California law distinguishes between ornamental and functional turf, with parks, sports fields, cemeteries and golf courses falling under the functional turf category, allowing them to practice "alternative means" of complying with the rules and restrictions, Craig Kessler, director of public affairs for the Southern California Golf Association, told ABC News. Functional turf is responsible for about 9% of the state's water usage, according to the California Department of Water Resources.

Last edited:
Meanwhile....

And discussion has started about how, and whether, to use increasingly scanty water to put out wildfires caused by drought and excessive heat.

Last edited:
The current wildfires in California are part of the weather and climate catastrophe.

Depending on how up to date the list is and where you look, the fine detail is unclear but it’s safe to say that the great majority of the worst fires in Californian history have occurred in the last 8-10 years.

So it’s either five out of eight, or eight out of ten or…

A twenty year drought -> death of trees and stress on surviving vegetation -> increase of dry tinder in dry woodlands + trees being prone to attack by predatory insects -> more dead trees -> more dry tinder.

Lightening strike, arson, human accident / foolishness -> fire + higher ambient temperatures for longer periods of time -> fires that burn hotter, faster and are more explosive than before + ongoing drought x insufficient water to give to humans and their golf courses and to forest fires.

Irresponsible agricultural/irrigation practices.

There is catastrophic destruction of habitat for animals & insects. Humans still get priority over all else.

There is a high and increasing likelihood of desertification in SoCal.

At some point this thread will link in very tight and strong to the political threads about America. The one asking “Is America burning?” may as well get merged with this one at some point.
Some say that civil war is impossible over there. I’m still seeing increased chances of that happening. Add in water poverty, their obsession with property rights, the need for irrigation and watering for farm animals, loss of viable agricultural land with decreased capacity to grow the food they throw away in obscene quantities. It can only get worse.
How is this salvageable now?

At some point this thread will link in very tight and strong to the political threads about America. The one asking “Is America burning?” may as well get merged with this one at some point.

Well I couldn't find anything 'international' in the thread listing so I'm merging this post here. Talking of things burning.

1659124218660.png

That's the result of impoverished Mexicans burning water pipes. The story is here.

And here.

The drought in North Mexico means taps are dry in the city of Monterrey so pipas, primarily run by the city authority, are the only way to deliver water to homes and businesses. As people who cannot afford bottled water are drinking the brackish water from the trucks, anger is growing here that beverage companies with bottling plants here, including Coca Cola and Heineken, are extracting billions of litres of water from public reservoirs.

There has been no running water in low-income homes in Monterrey for over a month. Meanwhile Coca-Cola take 50% of their water from public reservoirs. Monterrey's director of water and drainage is the founder of one of the companies who bottle coca-cola. Poorer Mexicans are having to drink water unfit for consumption while the richer districts maintain their supplies.

It's a class issue as the climate issue will more and more become.

On 16 July, residents of two impoverished Monterrey suburbs learned that a portion of the remaining water from a nearby reservoir would be diverted to the city. In response, they blocked a highway with a barricade of cars, tyres, rocks and tree branches, stalling traffic for two days. Then they burned the water pipes.

1659124716574.png

State security forces guard a dam in Mexico. This isn't the future, this is now.

Las Vegas New Mexico has just announced that they have about 50 days worth of clean water. The supply has been contaminated by a wildfire.

And they had flash flooding after the huge wildfire.

Meanwhile, Las Vegas Arizona has also had freak thunderstorms and flooding.

Also, as an aside, the water level in Lake Mead is still going down and a third set of human remains in a barrel has been exposed.

Last edited:
The stuff about Coca-Cola stealing water from the local population has been going on, and been ignored, for a really long time.

From 2017

From 2007

And they impact the local population in other ways than stealing water

And they do it all over the world.

ETA
I‘m not going to provide links but there are also claims from Coca-Cola that they preserve protect and replenish local water supplies. They’ve been in the news for some of that too. On balance though, I think it’s pretty clear that they’re fucking things up.

maybe this will help

the whole article makes it sound as if this is a bad thing until the end.

The rain will also be beneficial for most of the Southwest as almost all of the region is in some stage of drought. Eighty-two percent of Utah and 60 percent of California are considered to be in either extreme or exceptional drought, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor. Even in Arizona, which has had some of the region's heaviest and most consistent rainfall, over 90 percent of the state still remains in some form of drought, proving that it will take a prolonged period of wet weather to break the drought conditions.

One of the problems with heavy rains after prolonged dry weather is that it can’t soak into the baked land. Just runs off the surface, or washes the surface away, or saturates some places and so fast that it can’t soak in properly and loads the land to much. We could see erosion, landslides, floods etc. Some of that is already happening.

But other than that it’s very much needed and very welcome.

And the Great Salt Lake is drying up.

If it does dry up, the remains could lead to toxic dust storms.

The current monsoon isn’t enough to replenish the lake.

Last edited:
And the Great Salt Lake is drying up.

If it does dry up, the remains could lead to toxic dust storms.

The current monsoon isn’t enough to replenish the lake.

the salt lake business is bad news. every source i've read says it;s a disaster in the making.

including ...

I've expressed my concerns about drought in the northern hemisphere on this and other threads. i see little reason to be optimistic about the situation... The hurricane season has, thus far, been described as "quiet" by the experts...

I guess they’re fizzling out before they make landfall? Something to do with the heat and dryness on land? Must be a bit alarming to see it scantly foretold though,

Update on Lake Mead.

This article gives a round up of the current situation. It’s a bit click-bait-ish and covers stuff already in this thread, but it’s a handy compendium with some good satellite snapshots.

The levels are now at 27% despite recent downpours and floods, and despite water in the lake, which almost immediately disappeared, there are new restrictions on how much can be taken out.

The lake fails as a source of human use when it reaches 1000 foot deep. Right now it’s 1045 feet deep.

Update on Lake Mead.

This article gives a round up of the current situation. It’s a bit click-bait-ish and covers stuff already in this thread, but it’s a handy compendium with some good satellite snapshots.

form a link in there

crikey i knew it was bad, but not that bad.

An interesting theory about why it’s losing water so rapidly is about what’s going on beneath.

As there is less water, so there is less weight. Fissures and cracks that were formed when the lake was created (with the extra weight bearing down on the bedrock) are now shifting as the weight of water lessens. The cracks are opening uo and the water is running away. This theory allows the water to enter aquifers, which would be relatively good. But if you consider that a bath flowing out the plug hole empties faster than you can empty it by bailing water off the top, I can’t see how this theory (sorry….) holds much water,. If the cracks were large enough for water to run away beneath, I think we’d be seeing a lot more water running away.

I can’t find any science to support this theory. It’s been posted by someone on youtube and added here cos yunnow it’s part of the discussion out there.

ETA and I can’t now find the video that presented this theory. Never mind.

Back
Top Bottom