Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Virgin Mary

Why would lower god be mortal? Why could they not be immortal? You cannot prove that there is not a High God above the one that you believe in.
I can't prove, to the satisfaction of the Urban 75 atheist horde, that any God exists. St Thomas Aquinas' arguments seem to be equally ineffective to those here that will not be swayed from militant atheism..

There isn't much dispute among scholars that Christianity is the creation of Paul, rather than Jesus. There were numerous Jewish apocalyptic cults and figures around at that time. Jesus's followers kept his meme alive whereas the Essenes (dead sea scrolls sect) were around for hundreds of years and very organised, but vanished (nearly) without trace.
Only a small part of the New Testament actually records the words and actions of Jesus. The majority of it is written by and directed by Paul - the true author of christianity.

I'd love to know what the real message of Jesus was. I think there are glimpses of it in the gospels of Mary and Thomas.

I can't prove, to the satisfaction of the Urban 75 atheist horde, that any God exists. St Thomas Aquinas' arguments seem to be equally ineffective to those here that will not be swayed from militant atheism..
How would you distinguish between the actions of a lower god and a higher god?

My atheism isn't 'militant' - whatever that means. It's just that I refuse to believe in a far-fetched and badly explained fairy tale.

I should've said "attributed" to St Luke.
Here's some more:

View attachment 441446

Not one of the icons attributed to Luke is in a style remotely connected to the 1st century A.D. All are much, much later (and from various later times chronologically). And there is not one bit of scientific analysis dating any one of the number of icons attributed to Luke to the 1st century.

Incidentally, the original Jehovah was indeed a lesser God, part of a larger pantheon in the original mythology of the Bronze Age people that worshipped him. He was like Thor or Poseidon or Hermes — the child of the chief God (whose name was El, from whom we get the name “Israel”). That’s why the 10 commandments start off with the importance of not taking other Gods above this God. Jehovah’s followers just managed to win the wars of conquest over the followers of the other Gods and, combined with the PR genius of those commandments, the result was that the other Gods got put to one side.

…However, it is said in Genesis 14:18–20 that Abraham accepted the blessing of El, when Melchizedek, the king of Salem and high priest of its deity El Elyon blessed him.[45] One scholarly position is that the identification of Yahweh with ʼĒl is late, that Yahweh was earlier thought of as only one of many gods, and not normally identified with ʼĒl. Another is that in much of the Hebrew Bible the name El is an alternative name for Yahweh, but in the Elohist and Priestly traditions it is considered an earlier name than Yahweh.[46] Mark Smith has argued that Yahweh and El were originally separate, but were considered synonymous from very early on.[47] The name Yahweh is used in Genesis 2:4, while Genesis 4:26 says that at that time, people began to "call upon the name of the LORD".[48][49] El's title of "El Shadday", which envisions him as the "god of the steppe", may also derive from the cultural beliefs of Upper Mesopotamian (i.e. Amurru) immigrants, who were ancestors of the Israelites.[17]

In some places, especially in Psalm 29, Yahweh is clearly envisioned as a storm god,[50] something not true of ʼĒl so far as scholars know[51] (although true of his son, Ba'al Haddad).[52] It is Yahweh who is prophesied to one day battle Leviathan the serpent, and slay the dragon in the sea in Isaiah 27:1.[53] The slaying of the serpent in myth is a deed attributed to both Ba'al Hadad and 'Anat in the Ugaritic texts, but not to ʼĒl.[54] But some scholars argue that "El Shadday" reflects a conception of El as a storm god.

Last edited:
Not one of the icons attributed to Luke is in a style remotely connected to the 1st century A.D. All are much, much later (and from various later times chronologically). And there is not one bit of scientific analysis dating any one of the number of icons attributed to Luke to the 1st century.
I wouldn't disagree with you. The icons are associated with St Luke and may or not have been actually created by him.

So you could not. All your "proofs" do not rule out there being a higher god and a lower god, and nor do religious experiences.
Your statement takes the form of illogic. By definition, there is no higher God than God

A bit off topic but it does seem to be straying into this:

Google is amazing!

I wouldn't disagree with you. The icons are associated with St Luke and may or not have been actually created by him.
There is no evidence at all that St Luke painted anything. The attributions are simply groundless, no doubt made by the those within the medieval Church who wished to give these icons a false provenance.

Google is amazing!

They do look like bollocks though. For example:

1. If Jesus really were a non-existent figure of history it would be expected that some anti-Christian group would have made this known at some point.

which is actually contradicted by the reference I gave. :rolleyes:

The rest don't seem much better - none of them seem to give contemporaneous references to Jesus.

And did those feet in ancient time walk upon England's mountains green, especially around Tintagel?
And was King Arthur buried there amongst the dark satanic tourist attractions?
I think we should be told.

Incidentally, the original Jehovah was indeed a lesser God, part of a larger pantheon in the original mythology of the Bronze Age people that worshipped him. He was like Thor or Poseidon or Hermes — the child of the chief God (whose name was El, from whom we get the name “Israel”). That’s why the 10 commandments start off with the importance of not taking other Gods above this God. Jehovah’s followers just managed to win the wars of conquest over the followers of the other Gods and, combined with the PR genius of those commandments, the result was that the other Gods got put to one side.

It appears that each tribe/nation state/nation in the levant in the late bronze into early iron age had their own national god. Whilst others like Baal were recognised as gods, they were associated with different (often rival) cities. At some point around this approximate time it seems it was Yahweh that became the Israelite ruling class's adopted deity. Is that a different deity to Jehovah, or is it a translation/pronunciation difference?

In any case it's interesting that a lot of the earlier Old Testament books talk about struggle for nationhood and denunciation of those being swayed to follow other deities.

Last edited:
The story of Christianity goes in phases surely; a messianic cult that spreads across the Roman Empire probably because of the salvationist bits, then Constantine picking up on it for his own reason and now it's on its way to becoming something quite different, then the post-Roman institution of the Church, its role and the reactions against it etc.

The story of Christianity goes in phases surely; a messianic cult that spreads across the Roman Empire probably because of the salvationist bits, then Constantine picking up on it for his own reason and now it's on its way to becoming something quite different, then the post-Roman institution of the Church, its role and the reactions against it etc.
Well said

St. Luke was the first to paint several images of the Most Pure Virgin Mary still during Her earthly life, which formed the basis of all iconography. There are however those who doubt this fact. Our article is an attempt to understand the issue:

St Luke the Evangelist as an Icon Painter. Did he Really Paint Icons?​

Is there a reliable independent source that proves this supposed fact?

This article answers your question directly

Icons are attributed to the Evangelist not in the sense that they were painted by his hand, since none of the icons that he himself painted has reached us. The authorship of the holy Evangelist Luke must be understood here in the sense of them being copies (or rather, copies of copies) of the icons once painted by the Evangelist. The Apostolic Tradition is to be understood here in the same way as in relation to the apostolic canons or the apostolic liturgy. They go back to the apostles not because the apostles themselves wrote them, but because they bear an apostolic character and are endowed with apostolic authority. The same is the case with regard to the icons of the Mother of God, painted by the evangelist Luke.

There is no textual proof that St Luke painted anything. Indeed there is no evidence of any kind. See the link I posted earlier;

These claims were made by the Church much later.

The Vatican vault has the receipts for the rollers he bought when he retouched the Holy Sepulchre.
You may mock but as he had already time travelled 13 odd centuries to paint the icons there is absolutely no reason why he could not put another 700 years on the clock nip into a handy B&Q and be back in time to touch up the Sistine chapel before Vespers.

Back
Top Bottom