Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Thick of it??

I've only every watched afew episodes of 'The Thick of It'.. I like it and will probably end up watching it, but I find it a bit monochrome. Do they really all need to be shouting at each other all the fucking time?

I've only every watched afew episodes of 'The Thick of It'.. I like it and will probably end up watching it, but I find it a bit monochrome. Do they really all need to be shouting at each other all the fucking time?
That's why I prefer the first series. Hugh Abbot was a great character, Chris Langham did his world-weariness very well. I feel the balance tilted more towards shouty-sweary after he, errrm, 'left'.

Please note Firky ... my comments predate reading this review..;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9529415/The-Thick-of-It-BBC-Two-review.html

"Previously, Tucker was the key character: he drove the plot, he got the best lines. On Saturday, to compensate for his absence, the remaining characters appeared to be taking turns to do his job.
Everyone had Tucker’s sense of humour: cruel, quick, blackly cynical. Everyone had his knack for nicknames (the Lib Dems were “The Inbetweeners”, Mannion was “Raffles the gentleman MP”). Everyone had his gift for inventive swearing (“Seven years of ear-p---,” muttered Phil, Mannion’s aide)"

I didn't get it. :confused:

He's the egg shaped villian from the children's video game sonic the hedgehog

pearson1.jpg

1467408_med.png

He's the egg shaped villian from the children's video game sonic the hedgehog

pearson1.jpg

He's the spit and double of a 'new media studies' lecturer I had for one unit at uni. Even the things he says, how he dresses, phrases he uses. It is uncanny.

"Used more words than a Will Self interview" :D :D

Watched the whole 1,2,&3 series this week in prep. Just finished the first episode. Good start. Great characters carried over from series 3.

Stewart was the best character this week, with his buzzword garbling, but Mannion had the best line;

"I'm bored of this - I'm going for a Twix."
:D

Why do you think that?

Well given that series three was very weak compared to the first one and specials, the length between series meaning the next will likely be after the next election, the central plank of humour really is the Blairite/Campbell/Brown years piss taking and that the creator is plainly more keen on breaking America I just don't think it'll have the elements to return to how great it once was.

i dont think they'll ever run out of things to take the piss out of when it comes to british politicians, especially now

i dont think they'll ever run out of things to take the piss out of when it comes to british politicians, especially now

They may not run out of material but there's only so many times you can tell the same joke. They're dangerously close to that tired old state now...

"Previously, Tucker was the key character: he drove the plot, he got the best lines. On Saturday, to compensate for his absence, the remaining characters appeared to be taking turns to do his job.
Everyone had Tucker’s sense of humour: cruel, quick, blackly cynical. Everyone had his knack for nicknames (the Lib Dems were “The Inbetweeners”, Mannion was “Raffles the gentleman MP”). Everyone had his gift for inventive swearing (“Seven years of ear-p---,” muttered Phil, Mannion’s aide)"
this is a bit unfair, i think. That cruel, blackly cynical, humour is common across the parties these days - alike in so many ways. That the libs try and do it, but do it quite badly, late on the act, is part of the joke. As balbi has pointed out, Manion is a tory version of Abbot, who also got a good few killer put downs to his name.

It does mean its less original, and less excitingly 'daring,' but that happens to pretty much any show when we get used to its tone.

I hope its it the last series, there are still so many openings for it to rip the piss out of.

it was a gentle start, but still excellent imo. and they've a lot of new characters to introduce, so fair enough. reckon it should be pretty sweet.

Just watched, thought it was brilliant loads of classic one liners the only thing that doesn't ring true is Glen's defection to the Libdems, it's good that he's around because he's a top actor but I just don't buy it.

People don't seem to have noticed because they assume he's a civil servant but he wasn't he was a Labour spad and a party loyalist in my view.

If you didn't enjoy it do what I did and re-watch with attention, it is still great. Tucker is back next time as an underdog, I can't wait to see how he operateS in opposition against the 'nearly royals' and libs.

Just watched, thought it was brilliant loads of classic one liners the only thing that doesn't ring true is Glen's defection to the Libdems, it's good that he's around because he's a top actor but I just don't buy it.

People don't seem to have noticed because they assume he's a civil servant but he wasn't he was a Labour spad and a party loyalist in my view.
even his actual character was different.

Back
Top Bottom