Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Queen being demolished (pics)

they're definitely taking their fucking time over it. i expect this is due to the 'efficiency' of the average british construction worker. ive lived round the corner from it for over a year now and haven't noticed much in the way of progress.

curious to see what they're doing with the bar/restaurant bit though.

How long do you think the new, low-cost building is going to last? 25 years? 30 years?

There was fuck all wrong with the old building, it was built to last, it fitted in with the area and it was a damn sight more attractive and better built than the thing that's going up now.

editor said:
How long do you think the new, low-cost building is going to last? 25 years? 30 years?

There was fuck all wrong with the old building, it was built to last, it fitted in with the area and it was a damn sight more attractive and better built than the thing that's going up now.

I suspect what was wrong with the old building is it wasn't possible to cram about 250 flats into it.

Have you noticed that there doesn't seem to be any bricks involved in the construction of the new building - it looks like it's entirely made from cheapo panels.

That'll fit in nicely with the adjacent Victorian/Edwardian housing. Not.

When I noticed that first I was assuming it was kind of an inner skin and it would be clad in London Brick. But that doesn't seem to be the case now.

It'll be like living in a caravan. An expensive caravan, the highest price one will be £425K for 2 bedrooms. Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

editor said:
Here's the thing that's going up in its place:

that has taken such a long time to go up

got the train past it every day for a very long time and it sat not far off that state for months

££ problems i suspect

editor said:
Have you noticed that there doesn't seem to be any bricks involved in the construction of the new building - it looks like it's entirely made from cheapo panels.

That'll fit in nicely with the adjacent Victorian/Edwardian housing. Not.

Its a fucking awful design, completely out of context and keeping with the area. Yet another perfectly functional building lost in the pursuit of spurious 'progress' agendas.

The planning department should be disgusted with themselves for approving that.

As for build quality, all too standard now. So many flats are prefabbed off site it's untrue. Even what appears to be brick walls is often just winched in prefabs of brick effect.

:mad: x quite a lot

I live up the road from this new horror and have been watching its progress. The last few days they've taken down some of the scaffolding from the top front bit to reveal some sort of big terracotta coloured tiles which look like they are made of plasticine. It's really not very attractive.

Unfortunately, with the almost completely de-skilled construction industry in the country, it makes a lot of sense to prefabricate. You can be assured of tolerances and standards.

Prefab doesn't have to mean 'looks like shit' either. I'm currently working on a project in the west end that is going to be a perfect replica of the portland stone facade of the building next door, but the whole facade is being fabricated off site - stone bonded to concrete with insulation bonded on the back. Installation time - a couple of weeks. You cannot tell the difference between the 100 year old original and the new.

The building is this thread looks like arse though. It will be better insulated - heat and soundwise, than the building it replaces, however.

Crispy said:
The building is this thread looks like arse though. It will be better insulated - heat and soundwise, than the building it replaces, however.
Maybe, but it will most probably last about a fifth as long. At best.

It's just totally wrongheaded for the area too, looks so out of keeping with the surrounding terraces. And is someone really going to pay £425k for a 3rd floor 'penthouse' with a view of Zaks Tyres?

Back
Top Bottom