Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Queen of the South, Tulse Hill (formerly the White Hart)

the owner is a Peckham local who was keen to include all of the community, rather than just the hipster crowd, according to this article:

being keen doesnt mean its easy to do - fair play because he's really done it
its a nice pub - id go there more but i really dont like to go out in peckham anymore

The only way it would take any trade off the Tulse Hill Hotel is if it's given the full gentrification treatment. The type of demographics you see at the THH are not going to switch- or even ocassionally patronise- any other pub that is not broadly similar.
I think it will be broadly similar.

Bumping this thread as the pub is reopening soon, as mentioned in the Tulse Hill thread.

White Hart / Queen of the South opening on 23 Feb.

Snazzy new website, plus they are on twitter and Instagram

Am in contact with the owner, hopefully will be able to report some more details soon.

I think we’re pretty lucky the pub has survived, having heard some of the story behind it. Will write it all up shortly.

if its the Prince of Peckham people thats a good pedigree

"Mr Ogbonnaya owns another south London pub, the Prince of Peckham (formerly The Clayton Arms) and he felt the White Hart had similarities.

“When I walked through the doors of The White Hart, I felt that same connection and familiarity, but also an overwhelming desire to reinstate the pub, and give it back to the community.”"

and music! great news

if its the Prince of Peckham people thats a good pedigree

"Mr Ogbonnaya owns another south London pub, the Prince of Peckham (formerly The Clayton Arms) and he felt the White Hart had similarities.

“When I walked through the doors of The White Hart, I felt that same connection and familiarity, but also an overwhelming desire to reinstate the pub, and give it back to the community.”"

and music! great news
I saw an article with the guy last year where he said he wanted his pubs to be “a solution to gentrification.”

I’m not sure how that works but I think he’s genuinely aware of the issues and wants the pub to be welcoming to all locals, (unlike some of the previous people who ran it.)

I saw an article with the guy last year where he said he wanted his pubs to be “a solution to gentrification.”

I’m not sure how that works but I think he’s genuinely aware of the issues and wants the pub to be welcoming to all locals, (unlike some of the previous people who ran it.)
Last time I went to the Prince of Peckham (pre covid) it was clear how many locals were in there.. The pub looks smart but somehow he's managed to make it welcoming to local people, hats off

Last edited:

I think to a lot of people gentrification more or less is that very visible side isn't it. The trendy bars and shops etc. I don't really agree with that - I think the housing situation is a lot more important - but it definitely is part of it so full credit to them if they're managing to buck that a bit. I think the interesting thing is that they seem to be doing it without that meaning trying to preserve some dingy empty old man boozer which hasn't changed since 1975 which seems to be what's often seen as the alternative.

I think to a lot of people gentrification more or less is that very visible side isn't it. The trendy bars and shops etc. I don't really agree with that - I think the housing situation is a lot more important - but it definitely is part of it so full credit to them if they're managing to buck that a bit. I think the interesting thing is that they seem to be doing it without that meaning trying to preserve some dingy empty old man boozer which hasn't changed since 1975 which seems to be what's often seen as the alternative.
You've just described my ideal pub

Reactions: dub

Yeah this quote is a little bit off the mark in my opinion. If a pub selling cocktails, £14 'buns', 'small plates' and 'bottomless brunch', as is the case of The Prince of Peckham, then its hardly a beacon of anti gentrification. In fact, those things are usually a red flag for it. Sad to see that the previously non gentrified The Greyhound across the road, which was a spit and sawdust Irish pub churning out Guinness and not much more, has now succumbed to a takeover and is now owned by the same crowd that run The Paxton in Gipsy Hill.

Still, best of luck to him and well done on battling the odds to save another pub from vanishing forever.

Yeah this quote is a little bit off the mark in my opinion. If a pub selling cocktails, £14 'buns', 'small plates' and 'bottomless brunch', as is the case of The Prince of Peckham, then its hardly a beacon of anti gentrification. In fact, those things are usually a red flag for it. Sad to see that the previously non gentrified The Greyhound across the road, which was a spit and sawdust Irish pub churning out Guinness and not much more, has now succumbed to a takeover and is now owned by the same crowd that run The Paxton in Gipsy Hill.

Still, best of luck to him and well done on battling the odds to save another pub from vanishing forever.

This is kind of the thing though isn't it. People on here are saying the pub is successfully appealing to local people and not just wealthy incomers. So if that's the case (and I haven't been in so I can't say if I'd share that view) then how are they doing that if it's got those supposed red flags on the go? Does it point to something a bit wider?

Its marketing guff basically isn't it. I'd guess to make it work after the costs they've sunk in they think there's no other option but to charge similar prices to the Prince of Peckham (never been in, but sounds a typical modern south London pub). You can cater for 'locals' while at the same time charging those kind of prices as the demographics in the area have changed a lot in recent years due to house prices etc.

I'm chuffed the pub is coming back at a time when so many others are disappearing though. A bit of local trend after the Crown & Sceptre and the EPT.

I'm really glad and grateful that he's reopened the pub but with their prices and demographic he's deluding himself if the thinks they represent any kind of 'a solution to gentrification.'

Yes it's like that but go in, its a local crowd, at least in my experience

Mind you, they get kudos for having one pint (just) under a fiver. All their prices look cheaper than the Railway as far as I can see (can anyone confirm?)

1674662995450.png

Oh and fuck Brixton Brewery/Heineken with their rip off Coldharbour Lager.

Mind you, they get kudos for having one pint (just) under a fiver. All their prices look cheaper than the Railway as far as I can see (can anyone confirm?)

View attachment 360825

Oh and fuck Brixton Brewery/Heineken with their rip off Coldharbour Lager.
I find that a lot of pubs who display pint prices online, of which there is not many, you find you get a nasty surprise when you go in and its upto 50p more than you were expecting. All those beers apart from Guinness are supplied by Heineken who recently hiked their wholesale prices.

I'll wager though that QOS will be a bit cheaper than The Railway. Their cheapest possible beer the last time I was in, which was a 4% Coors Light or something, was close to 6 quid 😒

Quite cheap on Moretti - that's super expensive to buy from Heineken
Coldharbour Lager is awful stuff.
I'll never forgive them for choosing a name that everyone kept confusing with Brixton Buzz's charity beer. We gave away all the profits from our beer while they kept every penny of the profits of their later - but near identical sounding - brew.

I got really fed up with people coming up to me in the street saying that they'd contributed to our charitable drive when all they'd actually done was line the Brixton Brewery's pockets.

Why is Brixton Reliance £6.20, it's brewed around the corner and just a normal beer ? (as is Beavertown)
Will no doubt pay the place a visit and good to see it opening again.
Might be fun to hotdesk there on a Friday afternoon if I didn't have any meetings.

Why is Brixton Reliance £6.20, it's brewed around the corner and just a normal beer ? (as is Beavertown)
Might be fun to hotdesk there on a Friday afternoon if I didn't have any meetings.

Heineken's weird pricing policy.

Its aimed at people who are easily beguiled by marketing, or have plenty of money to waste on pints in the pub.

Back
Top Bottom