Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Point, Cardiff Bay - CLOSED!!!

'contemporary regeneration as the urban dimension of neoliberalism'

I'd phrase it more as just another front for the class war, really.

edit: surprised he doesn't get turfed out of the Uni for that sort of thing these days.
Will no one think of the investors!!! :eek:

Well what would you do if you had ten million to invest in a community or region? Regeneration encompasses a multitude of initiatives and social programmes. Unfortunately it looks like 'homes for yuppies' seems to be the priority in Cardiff.

Well what would you do if you had ten million to invest in a community or region? Regeneration encompasses a multitude of initiatives and social programmes. Unfortunately it looks like 'homes for yuppies' seems to be the priority in Cardiff.

And if it wasn't the priority then the rich would move their money elsewhere. Is this largely public money being spent on gentrification projects, or is it some kind of PPP nonsense?

And if it wasn't the priority then the rich would move their money elsewhere. Is this largely public money being spent on gentrification projects, or is it some kind of PPP nonsense?

Depends. I suspect Cardiff has a lot of private investment which is why we get situations like this. PPP initatives generally lead, as you say, to gentrification rather than regeneration.

John Lovering's a good egg.
Spoke at a disarm DSEI meet in Cardiff a few years back about his really good research into the arms industry.

not read all the info so forgive any ignorance, but is there any way the could move into the Point building and pay for the sound proofing that is required there? that would keep that venue alive.

still cant believe the license was turned down on the Glamorgan buildings mind. its a great location for a venue such as the Toucan. It would be next to the Queens vault, micro brewery and ifor bach which all offer something a bit different to the usual city centre shit. i guess the only downside is that there are flats opposite the venue that have been there for donkey years that might not be too happy about the late night kicking out time proposed by the Toucan. so the Toucan taking and soundproofing the Point may be a good idea?

I personally cant see the glamorgan club being developed for flats in the current economic climate. i cant imagine the costs would stack up. which means its lkely to lie empty and go to ruin until such a time someoen will come along and say 'ill buy it and develop it - but to do that i need to knock it down'. typical and crap.

agree, that could be a handy 'alternative' <sic area near the staff club

the soundproofing has been done by the point as far i remember
also the toucan had stuff about acoustic entertainment in the licence or news story at the time.

A little bird tells me that there was only one person who really complained about the noise levels from the Point. He used his living room to sleep in at night because he could open his balcony doors at night to "get some air". And guess what you can hear when you keep your balcony doors wide open...:rolleyes:

apparently had a friend in the Council Noise Dept too....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

if you got anything to back that up it could be useful rhod

in toucan news, apparently they might be going round the corner in that 'calcutta club' place on womanby street - today's echo

in toucan news, apparently they might be going round the corner in that 'calcutta club' place on womanby street - today's echo

that's good - I have never been in there but I like the idea of a few decent places on the same street...

looks like most shows have been moved to clwb or the globe

mail i got today
john rostron on behalf of The Point said:
The Point closure - news / rescheduled shows / what you can do
Hi. The closure of The Point has hit us all. Thanks to so many of you for emails, letters, facebook posts and calls of support. If you want your voice to be heard then I urge you to write to The Western Mail and to the South Wales Echo - the two key papers for Cardiff and for Wales. The South Wales Echo feels very strongly about the venue's closure and has been featuring stories on the issue almost daily. The Western Mail, the national newspaper of Wales, has hardly spilt ink. You'd think that a national publication which revels in the success of Duffy, The Manic Street Preachers, The Stereophonics, The Super Furry Animals and the like would be concerned that a key live venue in Wales is closed, and is one of several that has closed or may close soon, so perhaps they need some prompting from you, their readers. You can email letters to readers@mediawales.co.uk to reach The Western Mail, and to ecletters@mediawales.co.uk for The South Wales Echo. Please include your name and address. Wherever you live in the UK, please let your voice be heard.
Further, if you live in Wales, please write to your local Assembly Member, and if you live in Cardiff, to your local councillor. Several AMs have begun speaking out on our behalf, most notably Lorraine Barrett, the Labour and Co-operative Assembly Member for Cardiff South and Penarth. However, also please send your letter to these AMs - Ieuan Wyn Jones, Minister for Economy (email him on CorrespondenceMail-DFM@Wales.Gsi.Gov.UK ) and to Alun Ffred Jones, the Minister for Heritage and Culture (email him on correspondence.Alun.Ffred.Jones@Wales.GSI.gov.UK ) as The Point and live music fall under their remit. You voted for these people to act on your behalf, and they will respond to your calls.
On to some practical things since the closure of the business. We've been working with promoters and bands to rescue as many shows as possible. Below is an update with what we know so far...

It would be great to use the occupation tactic.

People could squat in the venue and carry on having events there.
I was party to some interesting (and unsavoury) info concerning The Point today. All is not exactly as it appears on the surface. Suffice to say the actual owners are not broke (far from it in fact). Expect it to open again sometime soon under new management.

Back
Top Bottom