Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Perfect Party

beeboo said:
I HATE throwing parties cos I always stress out.

last party we had i was so stressed out before it i had to have a quiet lie down in the dark at some point during the day!

anyway, it was great in the end! and i want to have another one soon.

these tips are brilliant story! most excellent indeed :D

dolly's gal said:
last party we had i was so stressed out before it i had to have a quiet lie down in the dark at some point during the day!

anyway, it was great in the end! and i want to have another one soon.

these tips are brilliant story! most excellent indeed :D

Ah yes, the Disco Nap :D The need for opting out may come upon you at any time, before or indeed during the party. Obey your need! Take time out. A walk around the block may be sufficient, or a swift half at your local with a bezzie mate, or a quiet half hour in a darkened bedroom, or watching telly in private, or a long bath... whatever it is, do it. Don't tell anyone where you've gone (chances are, if you've thrown a decent party no-one will miss you anyway). Except your other half. Tell your other half where you are so as to avoid panic stations when you don't appear for the surprise birthday cake

You're in for the long haul, you cant leave and go home when you've had enough. Even if you throw a tantrum and throw everyne out, you're still left with a dregs of a party to deal with. The idea is that you enjoy it as much as everyone else does.

Crispy said:
You realise we all have to come to your next party, story :)

Ah no, Crispy - the point of this thread is that everyone else can throw the perfect party, and I can go to your parties instead!

Recycling: if you're lucky enough to have recycling in your area, this makes clearing up much easier. Putting out a dozen bags for recycling is easier than trying to cram the bin liners into the bins for collection. It also means that there's no point collecting empties during thr party - hoorah!!

We put up a big ol' sign near the bin in the kitchen saying WE RECYCLE. Guests then tend to group the empties in a certain place. We're lucky enough to have a garden so the empties usually get tucked away somewehere near the back door. Then when it comes time to clear up, we just go around with the orange bags and one person collects cans, another does bottles, antoehr does paper etc. We usually end up with, like, one or two black binliners of garbage, and the rest is the enormomountain of orange recycle bags. (This has led to our units of measurement of the gretness of the party: a five-bag party is okay, didn't outlast the dawn; a twelve-bag party carries on til the following breakfast. We have had only one 20-bag party.)

Garbage: Take the swing top off the bin. It's easier, and cleaner. There will be stacks and stacks of empty carrier bags and that tissue stuff that wine bottles get wrapped in. This will pile up into billowing heaps on the sideboard and then end up on the floor and become multicoloured mud, and you will feel like you're tromping about at a festival. So do this instead: find a drawer or cupboard nearby where people dump stuff (this will probably be the kitchen). Empty the drawer/cupboard. Now stuff the empty carrier bags and tissue paper into the drawer. Clever watchful types will spot you doing this, and they will copy you. Alternatively, hang a large carrier bag on the back of the kitchen door and stuff them into that. This sounds like over-organised bullshit, but trust me - of such details are good parties created!

I've thrown a lot of parties in a work capacity, as well as a great one for hendo's 40th birthday and my tips are:

Booze - lots of it
Food - lots of it
Music

... in that order.

story said:
Oh but you're coming at this from the wrong angle, beeboo! The point about the perfect party is that everyone feels relaxed and natural. If they want to indulge in a strange eating fetishes, then they can. It's not a dinner party (I'd be horrified if someone come for dinner and chose to bring some skanky take-away with them).

I just can't be that relaxed :D - I take it personally. If someone pops out for a McDs, it's cos my food is no good. If someone turfs my music off the CD player, it's cos they think I've got crap taste.

Having said this, on the rare occasions I have thrown parties, I have really enjoyed them (once I relaxed). I prefer it when I don't feel like the party reflects on me - I like organising parties for other people.

Neigbours

You want to keep the neighbours happy - they are your neighbours all year round, and this party only happens once or twice a year. You want to be able to have another party. Don't piss off the neighbours more than is totally necessary.

Make flyers. Do this well in advance, to give the neighbours at least 3 weeks notice. Give the date of the party: some of them will want to arrange a weekend away, so they need the time to plan. Give a reason, say it's for a birthday; it's hard to argue with birthdays.

Tell the neighbours what to expect. You know how it's easier to wait for a bus if you know how long you have to wait? People feel more comfortable if they're in receipt of the facts. Also, if someone argues with you on the night, you can say "But you had all the information". Write on the flyer "long late party, brass band 'til midnight, DJs til dawn" or whatever. Tell them the worst. Don't apologise - you have rights too, you have the right to have a party.

This is the important bit: invite the neighbours to your party. Chances are they won't come; or if they do, it's just to have a bit of a nose around; if they come and stay, that's cool too. Even bothersome neighbours aren't going to be much of a problem: they'll get lost in the crowd at the party, and generally, they won't take a party invitation as an open invitation to the house. Parties are a world apart, they're not in real space-time.

Flyer the entire neighbourhood. All your neighbours on either side, and across the road, and those who back onto you, the whole of that side of the street. Party music carries a long way, flyer the whole block around you. When you go around, do it when you think people will be home. Take a pretty pal with you. Knock on the door. They're less likely to complain if they've met you. Smile a lot, be merry, make conversation.

On the night, if someone comes to complain, be polite, be sympathetic, and don't give an inch. Being polite and sympathetic will confuse them. If you're utterly stubborn, they'll get bored and go away. Remember this: The right to watch telly and go to bed is not more important than the desire to have a party. What one person wants is not more righteous than what all the party folk want. You're not breaking the law, you're having a party, and you gave full and frank warning. They might make allsorts of threats ("I'm calling the police" for instance, or "I'll send the Boys round"). Don't rise to it. The police won't come unless you're doing blatantly illegal stuff or causing some serious breach of the peace. Say calmly "Okay, I'll see them when they get here" and smile sweetly. Or you might say "Really? Is it really necessary?". Invite them in, offer them a glass of wine, apologise for their lack of sleep, but not for the party. Remind them it's a saturday night, it's a birthday, it's only once a year, you did warn them etc. Don't get heavy with them, don't swear at them, don't insult their pitiful lack of a social life. You will get guests hanging about being nosy and saying "Is everything alright? Do you want a hand?" The answer is "Everything is fine, no I don't need a hand, it's fine, thank you." Keep everything as calm and sweet as possible, but be utterly stubborn.

If the nigbour is being equally stubborn, try this compromise: offer to turn the music down after, say, 2 AM. They might haggle you on the hour. Don't offer to turn it off. Suggest to them that they sleep in another room in their house. They won't really do this - it's a way for you to show that you're not going to shut down the party, they will have to make some compromise, and you'll try to meet them halfway.

If the noise police come round, then you have to be polite and "sober". Do not let them into the house. You are not required in law to give your name. They have no powers other than warning you. If the party is a regular nuisance, then they can do something - give a formal warning, confiscate equipment, all that. But for one party, once or twice a year, they can't do anything. Be polite, thank them for coming round, invite them in (they never accept this). Let them take as long as they want: they've kept me on the step for half an hour chatting away. You want them to know that you are a reasonable person, having a party... which is a reasonable thing to do.

The next day, or in the next couple of days, make a point of contacting any neighbours who did get pissed off, and say thank you for their tolerance.

Make sure that you clear up any mess or debris from the street or communal hallways as soon as possible after the party. Do this before doing anything else, and do a good job. It earns you brownie points, but it's also common courtesy.

story said:
If the noise police come round, then you have to be polite and "sober". Do not let them into the house. You are not required in law to give your name. They have no powers other than warning you. If the party is a regular nuisance, then they can do something - give a formal warning, confiscate equipment, all that. But for one party, once or twice a year, they can't do anything. Be polite, thank them for coming round, invite them in (they never accept this). Let them take as long as they want: they've kept me on the step for half an hour chatting away. You want them to know that you are a reasonable person, having a party... which is a reasonable thing to do.
sorry to be pedantic, but???? :confused:

Actually - I have a tip - fires are great, people gravitate towards them and they look pretty, but keep an eye on them or you'll set a tree in your garden on fire and have to climb up a ladder, with a hosepipe on and put the bastard out. This is hard when pissed.

Don't have a fire if you live in the city :)

PieEye said:
please may I as well. I'll do my hair right special :)

You have Lovely Hair Miss pie, I wish when I had me dreadlocks that I had curly hair it wouldnt have taken nearlly a year to mat:)

PieEye said:
If I'm a lazy girl and don't pay attention I get one starting at the back :oops: :D

hehehe:D
One of mates had a similar situ, he looked like Robert plant from the front and Bob marley from the back

Great stuff, quite a few things there I always do, such as change the light bulbs, organise the DJ's properly and make sure everybody gets a turn (essential if I'm having a party for obsessive reggae collectors), putting out loads of ashtrays and bottle openers. Some serious advanced tips to aspire to there though, good work.

I usually do some food but for my mini-impromptu-party on Saturday went for the easy option of the baked spuds, mountains of baked beans and loads of cheese, plus a few nibbles. Easily and cheaply sorted with little notice. A few frozen pizzas bunged in the oven are easy enough to sort out too.

Another tip: If you have a room you don't want partied, sign it up properly. I put the child gate on my daughter's room and then labelled the door asking people politely not to use her room. You don't want any nasty business for the littluns to find the next day, it's their room, not a club

Decide when you're going to close the doors and windows. I generally order everybody to keep the garden door and all windows closed after midnight. The neighbours have never complained about the considerable noise my sound system makes, but there's no need to annoy them unneccesarily. As an added bonus it can change the shape of the party too. At the weekend I brought everybody inside from chilling at 12 then stepped up the tempo of the music; perfect way to get everybody dancing.

Invite people you only know through the internet/friends etc with abandon, but no gatecrashers. I've had cameras, money etc nicked before by people who seemed nice enough when they wanted to get in. It's not worth it.

Yeah, we had an 'all-comers' policy at the last "nu-urban" house party - 2 laptops, a camera etc. nicked. Really put a downer on what was otherwise a fucking excellent party. Won't do that again.

Yeah I was getting to the "preparations" tips... Will post that up later, not time just at the moment.

Any more tips in the meantime?

:D

You're not the first to have said that, BiddlyBee!

And someone once asked if I'd have a masterclass, if they could come and watch while we organised a party :D

We once decided at bedtime on the Wednesday, to have a party that weekend. It was one of the best parties we ever had. If you know what you're doing, it doesn't take much doing.

Your parties sound great story

I tend to have alot of parties especially in the summer..as im in the midlands and my friends are now all scattered about my place seems to be the communal meeting place every weekend so if one of them wants a party its always my place that gets used.

I dont go to the lengths that you do though.

I have one fridge full of prepared food, one of booze but everyone brings some too....dj is always my friends bf...lights in the garden and heaters... one bedroom where valuables are put and locked... mattresses and sleeping bags stacked in the garage to be brought out at the end of the night for those who need them.

Thats it really..it pretty much a free for all.

I bloody love putting on houseparties:D
If you want to blacken the windows, newspaper/magazine sellotaped and then a blackbinliner over the top does the trick well
If you have a telly, putting tinfoil over the screen and then pinpricking the foil creates a :cool: effect
I prefer providing some punch, it's something to welcome people as they come in and often people don't expect it, we do have 2 24 hour offies 5 mins away which does help..
..bowls with flour as ashtrays are pretty good..as is a bowl of vinegar in the middle of rooms used to soak up some of the cigarette smoke after the event..people who stub their fags out on the floor are scum..:mad:
In one room we put a tent, it saw a lot of action ;)
Another room hanging white sheets with a UV light behind made the room look like an igloo - created a real chill-out effect:cool:
Re: gatecrashers - I have found that locking the front door from the inside after letting people in minimises the risk, that way if people want to leave or someone turns up they have to ask someone with a key to let them in/out and so people can't just wander in or decide to"leave it on the latch while I nip to the shop"
I'd say 2 or 3 "keymasters" and you'll be fine..
..not really keen on it myself but have been to parties where there is a wall for people to write stuff on when they get wrecked

story said:
Sorry zenie, missed this earlier - course you can come :D

and I missed this til the thrwad got bumped

You know how to send PM's :D

I have some wicked fancy dress outfits too :cool: agree with orang fancy dress is fun!! :D

your parties sound fantastic
put my name down on the list
now i really want to go to/have a party :)

Nah. I’m the Sensei and I now get invited to parties organised by those who learned at my knee.

Back
Top Bottom