Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Perfect Party

story

Changing the facts
We love giving parties, and have made some very famous ones over the years. I started throwing house parties in my teens, and have had anything up to four a year, every year since then. We had one year off, the year after someone decided to flyer Brixton with our address, and we ended up with a house full of drug-fuelled strangers, and they wouldn't leave til the pubs opened the next day :rolleyes:

Having been to some dire and depressing parties at other people's houses (one kebab on offer, bright lights, someone saying "Don't touch the decks! They're mine!" and having to do a whip 'round for booze before the offie shuts at 10:30), I thought I'd open a thread for party-making tips (with apologies if it's been done to death before...)

Here are some of my tips - more to follow as they occur to me.

Invite everyone you know, and tell them they can bring friends. If you have the room and the energy, invite parents early in the day so they can bring kids and leave early. Put a room aside where kids can sleep if the parents want to stay on. Put a sign on the door saying "Kiddies asleep in here!!" This will deter those looking for a place to get it on with their new pull (this does happen - no good pretending it doesn't. It's better they use a bedroom than the bathroom, which can lead to disgruntled queues on the stairs...)

Have a reason for the party. People like an Event. It doesn't have to be a birthday, it can be pretty loose and abstract, Thank Christ for Summer, or No More Winter Blues, or Bucket Sealion Appreciation Benefit.

Food, and plenty of it! Stodgy bean stews, bread and cheese, pasta salads, crisps and peanuts, choccie bars.... stuff to soak up the booze. You want food to be available for everyone, there will never be any leftovers. Baked spuds in the stove with a sign on the front saying "baked spuds in here"; huge bowls of rice, cold cooked veg, salads, the lot. Tomatoes, fruit - it will all go; unless you forget to put it out, in whcih case you will be eating it for the rest of the month...

Signs. Put signs up, on doors and walls. The idea is that people won't be trying to find you all night to ask you the same questions over and over. Where's the loo? Got a cab number? (Write down the address and postcode of the party, and several cab firm numbers, pin it on the wall in the hall); Where's the nearest offie/bus stop/ cahspoint? (Do a basic map of the area, pin it up near the front door). This all sounds utterly anal, but the idea is that you will be able to relax and go off duty once the party has started.

Bottle openers - invest in half a dozen or so, and tie them to various places - door handles, drawer handles... Put them in the kitchen but also elsewhere.

Music. Get in decks and a DJ. Several DJs, in fact. There is no real alternative to this investment if you want a good party. Mix tapes just don't do it. Most people have someone they know who likes to spin the decks; or a friend of a friend who will gladly come along. DJs like to play records. If you have two or three pet DJs, they will not only bring their records, but they may bring along another mixalot pal. Put up a blackboard and chalk near the decks so they can organise their own set times, like baggging a place on the pool table. Make sure your DJs get all the booze, drugs, food, sex they require. Bung 'em some taxi money as well.

Drugs. Keep your own stash private. If you're feeling generous, keep a separate stash to share. Decide on your policy, and stick to it. Make sure people know the policy, and the party will police itself. Some people prefer a NO DRUGS rule, and that's okay so long as eveyone knows - it's your house after all. If taking drugs is okay, you might want to think about keeping it away from the main party or away from windows where annoyed neigbours can see what's happening. If so, choose the room and put out mirrors or whatever. It's really annpying to find that someone has helped themselves to the wall mirror and then it got stepped on.

Supplies. Stash your own food supplies for the following days: bread, milk, fresh food.... hide it at the bottom of the fridge. Also, get in plenty of milk and bread and butter and tea and coffee for the party folk too. If they stay around all night, they'll need some fuel to get them out the feckin door in the morning. They can fetch their own Lucozade and Irn Bru though, by following the map you pinned up by the front door, natch.

Booze. You can't skimp on the booze. You decided to throw a party, this will be your biggest investment. Clear out the fridge to make room, and turn the temperature right down - all the opening and closing will make it work hard to stay cold. If you can organize a tub of cold water don't forget to ice the water (only do this outside, unless you don't care about a soggy floor). Don't use the bathtub if the only loo is in the bathroom. Buy crates and boxes of beer. Buy bottles and cans. Stash a few boxes or crates, bring them out when the booze starts to dry up. The party will end when the booze runs out. If you want the party to end, ration the booze. If people expect you to be generous, they will be generous as well - they will bring booze and not hide it, but instead add it to the pool. Spirits - A party is a great opportunity to use up all that old left over foreign stuff, Just leave it out on a table with plastic cups and plenty of mixers. For godsake, do not under any circumstances make a punch. People will add to it, it will become dangerous, and you will end up clearing up vomit. Softies - Do provide softies, but only enough to be polite. Those who prefer JD & Coke tend to bring their own stuff - they don't trust parties, you see. Ice - Get in a couple of bags for the freezer (with a sign up to say so!), and another half a dozen or so bags for the beer tub.

More as I think of it: dealing with the neigbours etc

Any tips you can offer?

Sounds like an expensive (but extremely well-organised) party. My house parties usually just consist of:

a) playlists full of music to suit mood
b) a few crates of beer
c) bottles of spirits and enough mixers to go
d) finger foods
e) as many people as suitable for the venue

And as the host, making sure that no-one is looking bored. If they do, I like to grab them and introduce them to someone they'd get along with.

Awesome, story. Sounds like you know how to throw a pahtaay.

One thing. What size is your facking house???

Xanadu said:
Sounds like an expensive (but extremely well-organised) party. My house parties usually just consist of:

a) playlists full of music to suit mood
b) a few crates of beer
c) bottles of spirits and enough mixers to go
d) finger foods
e) as many people as suitable for the venue

And as the host, making sure that no-one is looking bored. If they do, I like to grab them and introduce them to someone they'd get along with.

Not horrendously expensive. We usually spend a couple of hundred all-in. I've never done a full audit, but I don't think it's ever cost us more than that.... maybe £300 tops with all the incidentals?

There's five adults living in the house, so it's pretty affordable between all of us.

Being host: I hate being host at our own parties - hence the maximum organising before hand! Also, we lay on quite a lot of entertainment, so no boredom!

spanglechick said:
it does indeed sound like a good party.

i quite like lethal punch, though.
:D

We did do lethal punch once or twice. Never again. If it's not the vomit, it's the lurching about and streetfighting and tears between couples :rolleyes:

I'm surprised by what's written about booze - I don't think I've ever been to a party where the booze is laid on by the host - if I have a party I expect people to bring their own!

I've been to a few where the host has laid on a few crates of beer etc as well was what people bring - its really very cool. Makes the party last that bit longer.

Story that's a great guide, your parties sound fantastic.

story said:
Not horrendously expensive. We usually spend a couple of hundred all-in. I've never done a full audit, but I don't think it's ever cost us more than that.... maybe £300 tops with all the incidentals?

There's five adults living in the house, so it's pretty affordable between all of us.

Being host: I hate being host at our own parties - hence the maximum organising before hand! Also, we lay on quite a lot of entertainment, so no boredom!

I think it was the taxis for DJs that made me think it'd be closer to £500. That is the great thing about having a house full of friends - you get to throw cool parties (and your parties sound really cool).

zoooo said:
You put mirrors out?
Crikey gee heckfire.

I'd rather make small mirrors available than find our wall mirrors and uprights being appropriated and then come to harm.... which has happened. And cos there's usually some kiddies about, it makes a lot more sense to have everything ringfenced and organazized. If the mirrors are in one location, I can legitimately give someone a bollocking if they indulge somewhere indiscrete.

Orang Utan said:
Why?
It's great fun to dress up - gives you a lot of licence to do stuff you wouldn't normally do

Oh I've always hated fancy dress. Shitty childhood memeories. But if you want to dress up Orang Utan, you go right ahead :D

And who needs a licence to misbehave anyway? ;) :p

And about the booze - see it seems odd to me that someone would have a party and not lay on booze.

Like maestrocloud says, it makes the party last into the night, and it encourages people to bring their own too: like priming a pump. People bring and share, they don't bring and hide it away.

Xanadu said:
I think it was the taxis for DJs that made me think it'd be closer to £500. That is the great thing about having a house full of friends - you get to throw cool parties (and your parties sound really cool).

Nah - we live pretty central, so cabs for three DJs costs us 30, 40 squids. Never more than 50, which if you think about it, is way cheap for DJs all night.

story said:
Oh I've always hated fancy dress. Shitty childhood memeories. But if you want to dress up Orang Utan, you go right ahead :D

And who needs a licence to misbehave anyway? ;) :p
Actually, I'm not so keen on it at house parties - I hate being told what to do by my host before I've even got there - and the people who hold fancy dresses are alway the dullest people you know

More tips

Lights: Change hallway lights to red and yellow lightbulbs, or wrap gels around them. Put fairy lights everywhere and keep the main lights off. Put candles in safe holders in quiet and chilled areas. Get in some sort of disco flashy thing for the dance area. Doesn't have to be a flashy flasher, just something to give it a bit of mood.

Dancing: People will dance, eventually, if they can. The dance floor has to be non-carpet. If all your rooms are carpet, get a square of offcut lino and lay that down. This is to denote the "dancefloor" as much as anything else.

Ashtrays: These will get used, if they are obvious. Put out loads of them, on windowcills, in the bog, edges of shelves, everywhere. Put several on tables.

Chill-out: There has to be an area where people can talk and chat each other up, have a bit of a sit down. If you don't give them somewhere to do it, there is a risk that the entire party will become pretty chilled. Don't make it the room at the very top of the house - it's not for exile, it's for taking a bit of time out, but still being at the party. If you're strapped for space, just make it a corner of the kitchen or even on the stairs. Put in some fairy lights, some hangings, some cushions to sit on... Make it look comfy. And toys, make some toys available.

Toys: Not sex toys, unless it's gonna be that sort of a party. Toys are things like kalaidoscopes, pretty trippy things to look at and play with. They're good conversation starters, they're good for the shy bloke who wants something to fiddle with, they provide interest, and it makes it obvious that you've made the effort. When people feel that you've made an effort to lay on a good party, they're far more more willing to make an effort themselves to create the good party. When people feel welcome and honoured as guests, they will make the effort to talk to strangers, and dance, and join in. I've seen this at our parties, and experienced it as a guest at good and bad parites elsewhere.

Garden: If you're lucky enough to have some outside space, then you can turn your party up to eleven. This is a whole other room to include in the party. Lighting is important - string up fairy lights and lanterns everywhere. Make seats available: not indoors chairs, that makes people feel awkward and formal. Old milk crates or beer crates with a bit of wood on top are perfect for this; old floor rugs, bits of old carpet draped over the wall... Have a fire - collect plenty of wood in the days before and make the fire pit area. If you don't knwo how to have a camp fire, find someone who does, and put them in charge. Keep a bucket of water handy! By the way, kids are remarkably respectful of fire, they tend to stay away even when they're chucking stuff on, and even if they've never been near a real fire before. We've never had an accident. Also, even drunk people are remarkably watchful around fires, and keep an eye out for each other and for the kids.

More to follow :D

Orang Utan said:
Actually, I'm not so keen on it at house parties - I hate being told what to do by my host before I've even got there - and the people who hold fancy dresses are alway the dullest people you know

Exactly!

*wonders why Orang Utan suggested it in the first place...*

Story, sounds like you throw quite a party, I wish I was in the same country and could come to one, sounds fantastic. I'm going to use some of your ideas!:cool: :cool:

story said:
Bottle openers - invest in half a dozen or so, and tie them to various places - door handles, drawer handles... Put them in the kitchen but also elsewhere.

That is a genius idea! :D

I want to come to one of your parties too! :cool:

I HATE throwing parties cos I always stress out. Last time, after having slaved away to make loads of really good food for the party, I caught some one sneaking out for a McDs. He nearly wasn't allowed back in :mad:

Once invited the barman from our local, who proceeded to get incredibly drunk and lairy and was stubbing cigarettes out on our carpet :mad: I think he was just trying to get his own back for all the times we did exactly the same in his pub :oops:

If you want cold beer fast, don't stick it in the freezer. It takes loads of time and energy. Fill a bucket with ice cubes, then fill that with water, then chuck in a load of salt. Salt lowers the freezing temperature. Your beer will go from room temp to a couple above freezing, in minutes.

Wintermute said:
If you want cold beer fast, don't stick it in the freezer. It takes loads of time and energy. Fill a bucket with ice cubes, then fill that with water, then chuck in a load of salt. Salt lowers the freezing temperature. Your beer will go from room temp to a couple above freezing, in minutes.

Brilliant tip there - never thought about the salt before. I'll deffo be adopting this!

beeboo said:
That is a genius idea! :D

I want to come to one of your parties too! :cool:

I HATE throwing parties cos I always stress out. Last time, after having slaved away to make loads of really good food for the party, I caught some one sneaking out for a McDs. He nearly wasn't allowed back in :mad:

Once invited the barman from our local, who proceeded to get incredibly drunk and lairy and was stubbing cigarettes out on our carpet :mad: I think he was just trying to get his own back for all the times we did exactly the same in his pub :oops:

Oh but you're coming at this from the wrong angle, beeboo! The point about the perfect party is that everyone feels relaxed and natural. If they want to indulge in a strange eating fetishes, then they can. It's not a dinner party (I'd be horrified if someone come for dinner and chose to bring some skanky take-away with them).

The thing about all the mega organisation is that you remve all the stress from the actual party. Organise everything - including getting in extra loo paper, bin bags, headache pills, hangover cures and plenty of plastic cups - and then when the party starts, you're just another guest.

With enough planning, you don't have to be host at all: it will all take care of itself. Truth be told, once a party is in full swing it takes on it's own momentum and there's very little you can do about things anyway. If you don't make things available, by 2 in the morning people will be rootling in drawers trying to find stuff for themselves, or raiding the fridge for a cheese sandwich. Hence the need for everything to be on view, available and in quantity.

More tips

Delegation: You can't do it all on your own. Nor can anyone else. Rope in pals and helpers. This has a duel purpose - it takes all the onus off you, and it also makes people feel involved, so it's their party too, so they will step up and get involved if something needs doing while the party is on. You do not under any circumstances want to be the only person in charge; you do not want to be considered the Authority. If you are thought to be In Charge, you will spend the whole night answering questions, fetching and carrying things about and being sought out in a crisis. (Small things like "Is there any instant coffee?" take on crisis proportions at 3:30 AM when someone is crying cos they broke a heel on the stairs).

Burlies: You need a couple of people who can handle themselves if trouble arises. There will be no need to call on them, but it reassures everyone to know that someone is available. If you don't like gatecrashers, or if irate neighburs come a-calling, or if... well in the unlikey event of trouble, you want to be able to call on someone. Ask them if they'll step up if needed before the need arises, at the start of the party or better yet before the party. They'll feel responsible, and keep an eye on things, and this in itself will keep trouble at bay.

Kitchen treasures: Despite the fact that your kitchen will be clear and clean before the party (oh yes it will!), it will soon look as if an army of locusts has been through it. This will have to be periodically cleared and stacked - not talking about making it spotless, just so it's a nice place to hang out, since the kitchen is always one of the most popular rooms at a party. Ask 3 or 4 people if they'll help you to keep things decent-ish. They'll be glad to help, if you choose the right people to ask. Thing is, people like to have tasks - it gives the perfect excuse to say to someone "Oh I can't talk to you just now, I have to help", it's like providing punctuation. Some people are hopeless at helping, some actively want to help. So get them to help! Give them one task each - picking up empty plates, stacking the dishwasher or just stacking the plates, whatever (the tasks will depend on what kind of kitchen set up you have). Then you must not, cannot be keeping an eye on them. If it gets done, it's a bonus; if it doesn't get done, so what.

Door opening: Some people love this task; they'll be the ones who chose to be close to the front door, or who ask you "Shall I get the door?" Say yes please, and ask them to listen out for the doorbell. Sooner or later, the door will get left wide open anyway :D

Back
Top Bottom