Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

the Online Safety Bill - new law incoming. "Trolls will be jailed for psychological harm"

There would be an amazing number of people bringing these cases I imagine, saying they’ve suffered psychological harm online.
It is a totally different thing to criminalising certain content, criminalising the impact felt by the reader.
You might need a psychologist or similar to back that up.

Your example is already covered by existing legislation, ‘malicious communications’ are a criminal offence.

This is what pisses me off about introducing new laws like this. We already have laws dealing with the kind of shit people who send nasty letters. Bullying and harassment and people inciting others to do the same all happened before the internet was a thing, I don't understand what this new law does which the old ones supposedly didn't.

I take it this is 'David's Law'? Is it regarding online comments personally directed at MP's? Or any comment, anywhere online?
no.
that Times article is quite shit.
This is what its actually about.

Doesn't stop them having feelings :(
While much of the abuse they receive is really out of order, the Tory MPs ought to realise they bear some responsibility for it as they've been in power for more than a decade. Over that time public discourse which wasn't at a very high level anyway has much declined in terms of politeness. Not to mention that successive parliaments have encouraged racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, and so on. It's a bit late to complain about their precious feelings when labour and Tory administrations have provoked hatred and contempt for many groups in society. This isn't in any way to condone or excuse rape threats, racist messages or misogyny. Those are always beyond the pale.

There would be an amazing number of people bringing these cases I imagine, saying they’ve suffered psychological harm online.
It is a totally different thing to criminalising certain content, criminalising the impact felt by the reader.

An amazing number of people who can afford good lawyers at least.

Back
Top Bottom