Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The NIMBY/YIMBY thread

Neighbours two doors down knocked down there conservatory few weeks ago. Fine says I as it means that glaring sun doesn't bounce off it in to mine in summer.

Started building something else in the back garden and I thought not much about as it seemed to be wooden.

Woke up this morning and noticed the frame had extended to two stories so after a worried browse of planning it looks like they are building a full on 2 storey extension with roof.

That's my winter sunlight fucked.

People down our street have been asked if they want to sell rear gardens and we just got a notice. Fuck that, a line of terraces going up along our back yards.

Someone has resurrected a planning application from 8 years ago to build 2 semi-detached properties on a former council garage plot to the rear of my house. The properties will be tiny as it's only @20ft wide

Where’s the Aquarena??

It is no more, bulldozed to make way for that tower block.

It was replaced by Splashpoint first...
1b.jpg
1a.jpg
1.jpg
1c.jpg

Sadly it will be over shadowed by that monster of a tower block.

1d.jpg

Last edited:
Latest on protesting about local development. They have cut 4 storeys from the 24-storey tower, but people still aren't happy! Hands Off Finchley Central

Lots of chat on local Nextdoor.... development definitely has issues, but I do understand they can't recoup the vast cost of land or build affordable units if they don't build a lot of them. My main problem with towers is that they tend to be so dull and generic, rather than their height. TBH, there isn't much of a defense of 'local character' around here - it's a bog standard 1900-1930 suburb with little of architectural note (anything that was that remained into 20th century was demolished in 60s and 70s :facepalm:) My concern is mostly that rather than revitalising the crap high street it might kill off the last dregs of it with everyone going into the new bit for shops and cafes etc.

It is no more, bulldozed to make way for that tower block.

It was replaced by Splashpoint first...
View attachment 188927
View attachment 188928
View attachment 188929
View attachment 188930

Sadly it will be over shadowed by that monster of a tower block.

View attachment 188933
That's not a particularly bad example of a block though - there are far worse examples around. Odd to build it so close to the beach, what with sea level rise. :hmm:

Tons and tons of new developments have sprung up in town in the last several years, mostly flogged to foreign investors to rent out which doesn't help with affordability. There are justified concerns that the city centre is being turned into a zone of basically no affordable or social housing. :(

Some of the developments look OK, some look dull and ugly. I like this one - a nice warm colour.

cot4gcy1jo431.jpg

That's not a particularly bad example of a block though - there are far worse examples around. Odd to build it so close to the beach, what with sea level rise. :hmm:

I like the design, it's a local developer that has a record of good building designs.

It's just in the wrong place, being basically on the beach & on the side of town where there's not really any other tall blocks. It would be fine the other side of the town centre & on the other side of the prom & road, where similiar size buildings are.

Trouble is, the council had to sell the plot for flats, to raise the money for the new swimming pool complex.

A bunch of neighbours on whatsapp group have been signing a petition about not developing some green space nearby - now it originally wasn't supposed to be developed as part of the hospital development built next to it, but they are now planning to build.... housing for NHS workers. I really have no problem with that. It's just a flat bit of grass, and I get it sucks a bit for people living right next to it, but NHS staff do have to have places to live. And there will still be a large green space in front of the hospital immediately adjacent to the site.

A bunch of neighbours on whatsapp group have been signing a petition about not developing some green space nearby - now it originally wasn't supposed to be developed as part of the hospital development built next to it, but they are now planning to build.... housing for NHS workers. I really have no problem with that. It's just a flat bit of grass, and I get it sucks a bit for people living right next to it, but NHS staff do have to have places to live. And there will still be a large green space in front of the hospital immediately adjacent to the site.

Housing for NHS workers? Is that really what it is, or is that what they're saying it's going to be, thinking NHS staff might want to live right next to where they work, or trying to make it sound more alright as a development on green space?!

Housing for NHS workers? Is that really what it is, or is that what they're saying it's going to be, thinking they might want to live right next to where they work?!
I would normally be sus ab out that but the land belongs to the NHS, so it offers about their best chance to actually build some affordable housing for staff.

Reactions: LDC
So here I am a few years later.

My favourite NIMBY moment in this role is receiving multiple objections to Phase 2 of a social housing scheme from ... the residents of Phase 1 of the same scheme. Lovely.
Having been moved in as one of the first lot and then had diggers constantly for the entire time we lived there. I kinda get it lol tho never would have officially objected. We finally had a house allocated to us, we stayed a year sorting out a mutual exchange to where I am now. 4 years later they still had more houses going in and the Park that was supposed to be outside where we lived was still the main car park for the site.

My favourite NIMBY moment in this role is receiving multiple objections to Phase 2 of a social housing scheme from ... the residents of Phase 1 of the same scheme. Lovely.

That's like a village near me, it's been earmarked for a lot of expansion, this was known by people buying new homes there, yet it's in the windows of these properties that there are posters against further development.

That's like a village near me, it's been earmarked for a lot of expansion, this was known by people buying new homes there, yet it's in the windows of these properties that there are posters against further development.
That's starting to happen here. The new developments home owners are starting to say that the new developments are spoiling the village. Well yes, they are.

Fairly standard "fuck you got mine" from many.

People are always keen to build stuff but only on condition its as far from them as possible.

Here it’s Student flats. Some being built in my neighbourhood but a lot in the city centre. Article saying there needs to be 20,000 more. As someone who only came here and stayed after being a student it may sound somewhat hypocritical. But this is nuts. Students don’t pay Council Tax of course but still need bins emptying et cetera. Bristol of course has a big problem with lack of affordable housing and people are obviously pissed off when they see Student blocks being given the go-ahead all round the place.

Here it’s Student flats. Some being built in my neighbourhood but a lot in the city centre. Article saying there needs to be 20,000 more. As someone who only came here and stayed after being a student it may sound somewhat hypocritical. But this is nuts. Students don’t pay Council Tax of course but still need bins emptying et cetera. Bristol of course has a big problem with lack of affordable housing and people are obviously pissed off when they see Student blocks being given the go-ahead all round the place.

But presumably that reduces the number of potential family dwellings that get snapped up for letting as HOMOs?

Back
Top Bottom