Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The new James Bond movie title is...

quite enjoyed this little video (though it needs the odd ffwd)
Bond films really are full of a load of old shite
Id have included the bit with Goldie in

turns out i haven't see Die Another Day (and not sure Ive seen Octopussy either) - looks spectacularly crap

Still slogging on with this - mostly thanklessly - a few revelations - Timothy Dalton is one of the better bonds and should have done more than two. Pierce Brosnan is the worst. Have stalled after Goldeneye, his first as I have to now watch Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day now - they're now recent enough for me to remember watching them the first time and they haven't aged well - Dalton is the most ill-at-ease with the character and doesn't convincingly deliver his inappropriately callous quips after dispatching his enemies (in great numbers - Goldeneye must have inspired the Austin Powers henchman scene as Bond straight-up coldly murders a lot of innocent people who are just inconveniently-in-the-way workers - way more than other Bonds)

Last edited:
There is a piece in the Guardian today putting in a good word for Die Another Day and I agree. I always found it entertaining but then I’m partial to the more camp/silly Bond movies.
just saw that - it certainly seems to be the least appreciated, but Octopussy is edging it for worst so far

Is this the one in which Pierce Brosman surfs a tsunami wave? That was extremely cringeworthy even for the franchise's standards...

I’m the guy whose favorite Bond movie is Moonraker, which long held the distinction of being considered the worst. It’s gathered more of a following over the last decade or two.
That’s the first one I saw at the cinema. I think I’ve only seen it once since. Not the worst, but definitely not the best either.

I’m the guy whose favorite Bond movie is Moonraker, which long held the distinction of being considered the worst. It’s gathered more of a following over the last decade or two.
I thought that was one of the better efforts but that's one of the first Bonds I imprinted on, so am unable to see it objectively

I quite enjoyed The Man With The Golden Gun, especially as it is so campy and corny - though adding a Swannee whistle to the soundtrack in the famous broken bridge car stunt was a step too far IMO - I can take double-taking avian extras, but that was just shite

Is this the one in which Pierce Brosman surfs a tsunami wave? That was extremely cringeworthy even for the franchise's standards...
The CGI in that wave scene must have cost at least £12.

The CGI in that wave scene must have cost at least £12.
the tech has dated so terribly from the Brosnan era. A car with GPS! This information superhighway and 24 hour news coverage could be huge! Wow! (the 90s Bonds are so full of badly-shoehorned product placements)

Brosnan was the ONLY Bond I liked precisely because he was stupidly cheesy. Bond is a ridiculous character and if he’s not played with a nod and a wink then he’s just monstrous and I want him dead ASAP.

Funnily enough I watched The World Is Not Enough last night and I thought the opening sequences were good, but the film got worse as it went on. Die Another Day is tonight’s film

The world is not enough .....Goldie , terrible Russian accents and watch remote control car iirc..... Pure trash

Funnily enough I watched The World Is Not Enough last night and I thought the opening sequences were good, but the film got worse as it went on. Die Another Day is tonight’s film
I like the twist that the Bond girl turns out to be the main villain and Sophie Marceau, cast against type, is really good in it, quite a fucked up character. I don't like that they kill her off too early but I don't mind that one. Tomorrow Never Dies is the Brosnan Bond which I find a total snooze.

Last edited:
Goldeneye wasn’t vintage but it wasn’t that bad either. I can think of one or two films from 70s/ early 80s (if not necessarily name them) that were far shittier. The first one with the fucking hillbilly Sheriff was dire imo. And the one when he’s ordered to go into a health spa (Thunderball?) was not just shit but also featured arguably the most disgraceful instance of sexual coercion by Bond in all of the franchise, which frankly was pretty much glamorised rape.

I like the twist that the Bond girl turns out to be the main villain and Sophie Marceau, cast against type, is really good in it, quite a fucked up character. I don't like that they kill her off too early but I don't mind that one. Tomorrow Never Dies is the Brosnan Bond which I find a total snooze.
Agree that Marceau is a good character and maybe the first female villain?

Die Another Day is as bad as I remember.

The Halle Berry character doesn’t deliver, the plot is daft and the films are starting to creep over two hours long.

And what’s with the camp Jurgen Klinsman lookalike who is Graves’ sidekick?

I remembered Goldfinger as being over two hours, but I think I must be factoring in ad breaks (actually 111 minutes).

They get longer and longer especially in the Craig era

No time to Die (which btw I’ve not seen yet, will watch in a week or so and have managed to avoid or forget spoilers for) is only 12 minutes shorter than The Godfather.

I quite like Goldeneye.
Seem to remember the second Dalton film was pretty dull.
Dalton is another example of understated Bondness. Initially (and because I’ve never read any of the books) I thought he was a shit Bond with the charm and wit of a cucumber. But many or most of those who’ve read the books insist his portrayal was the closest to the character in the novels.

They get longer and longer especially in the Craig era

No time to Die (which btw I’ve not seen yet, will watch in a week or so and have managed to avoid or forget spoilers for) is only 12 minutes shorter than The Godfather.
When I saw it in the cinema it seemed to go on forever. I'm vaguely interested in the new Black Panther but 2 hours 46 minutes? Fuck that.

I could not tell you what spectre was actually about. Saw it as the cinema and it seemed muffled as fuck so I kinda lost the dialogue

I saw it first on DVD. Thought maybe not quite as good as Skyfall, but really enjoyed it.

Would recommend catching it on telly.

I could not tell you what spectre was actually about. Saw it as the cinema and it seemed muffled as fuck so I kinda lost the dialogue
It kind of was The Force Awakens of the 007 universe. A thinly disguised fan service quasi reboot of some of the most loved themes / villains of the franchise.

It kind of was The Force Awakens of the 007 universe. A thinly disguised fan service quasi reboot of some of the most loved themes / villains of the franchise.

I’d have considered Skyfall as the fan service one. There was a cheer in the cinema when the tarpaulin came off the DB5.

I’d have considered Skyfall as the fan service one. There was a cheer in the cinema when the tarpaulin came off the DB5.
Yeah, that was a bit indulgent, but credit where it’s due, there was a valid reason built into the story for Bond needing to use it.

Skyfall is by some degree my favourite Craig film. The most rounded script, mature yet gripping, the best theme song in many years, and in Javier Bardem one of the all-time great villains.

Bardem was fantastic in that.
I liked the Billie Eilish song tbf.

Second best in the Craig Era, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom