Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

the neoliberal vision of the future

Explain to me why Rockefeller, who reduced the price of Kerosene by 95% and thereby provided cheap energy and light to millions of people, is considered an immoral person while Mother Teresa, who did very little good for anyone, is considered an altruist hero.

Rockefeller might or might not have reduced the price of keresene by 95%, but that will have been incidental to, and instrumental in, his profit making that is to say it was not altruistic. As for Mother Theresa, I doubt if many on these boards have much regard for her. There have been posts on here denigrating the very aspects of her life that you mention. She was no altruist, but was doing her work for her imaginary friend God and the business corporation devoted to him, the Catholic church.

Hm, I guess you would consider this evidence. It didn't occur to me that a moderator would stoop so low as to either LIE or just without a shred of evidence ASSUME that I and John Galt were the same person. In my worldview moderator means someone who actually moderates, not someone who actively anti-moderates. It reminds me a little bit about policemen in banana republics who are the worst criminals.

chinny recon

e2a

cross atlantic- your pants are on fire

That's possibly because he was the first to post that image on this thread.

It's not as though someone sought a picture of him out. That would just be weird.

No, it's that people were discussing him and then he turned up. Presumably he googles his own name a lot.

Explain to me why Rockefeller, who reduced the price of Kerosene by 95% and thereby provided cheap energy and light to millions of people, is considered an immoral person while Mother Teresa, who did very little good for anyone, is considered an altruist hero.

What, then was the base cost of kerosene before the reduction, and what was the connection with continued anti-trust cases being brought against Standard Oil?

I'll answer the latter point for you: It had everything to do with several decades-worth of anti-trust cases, and Standard Oil (a Rockefeller vehicle) having spent those decades manipulating the prices of fossil fuels for the company's own gain, outwith the laws of the lands in which the corporation functioned.

Your "argument" is bereft of virtue. it is yet another selective editing of history that you're regurgitating.

Hm, I guess you would consider this evidence. It didn't occur to me that a moderator would stoop so low as to either LIE or just without a shred of evidence ASSUME that I and John Galt were the same person. In my worldview moderator means someone who actually moderates, not someone who actively anti-moderates. It reminds me a little bit about policemen in banana republics who are the worst criminals.

"John Galt" and "onarchy" are the same poster. It is clear from the identical posting styles.

Bad luck, but it really wasn't a very intelligent thing to do, now, was it?

Do you think that people think highly of Mother T, while at the same time knowing that she did very little good? Now I've not idea of whether she did any good or not, but I'd say that any high opinion of Mother T is because of a popular belief that she helped people.

My high opinion of her was because she had the bottle to wear a Belfast linen tea-towel on her head. :cool:

by who?

Rockefeller might or might not have reduced the price of keresene by 95%, but that will have been incidental to, and instrumental in, his profit making that is to say it was not altruistic.

Anyone who wishes to measure the depth of altruism involved might wish to check on how great Standard Oil's holdings in coal were at the time of the kerosene price-cut, and look for correlations between the drop in cost of kerosene (used mainly as a heating and lighting fuel) and household coal/lignite (also mainly used as a heating fuel).

What, then was the base cost of kerosene before the reduction,

When Rockefeller started in the industry the price was around 1 dollar. By the time he was finished it was close to 5 cents. Rockefeller revolutionized the oil industry and was instrumental in bringing the cost of production and transportation down.

and what was the connection with continued anti-trust cases being brought against Standard Oil?

Disgruntled competitors who didn't like to be beaten by a better competitor.

I'll answer the latter point for you: It had everything to do with several decades-worth of anti-trust cases, and Standard Oil (a Rockefeller vehicle) having spent those decades manipulating the prices of fossil fuels for the company's own gain, outwith the laws of the lands in which the corporation functioned.

If you want to educate yourself about Rockefeller I recommend the following brilliant article on the subject:

http://www.theobjectivestandard.com/issues/2008-summer/standard-oil-company.asp

When Rockefeller started in the industry the price was around 1 dollar. By the time he was finished it was close to 5 cents. Rockefeller revolutionized the oil industry and was instrumental in bringing the cost of production and transportation down.
how much was $1 worth when he started, and how much was 5c worth when he'd finished? in other words, was this a drop in price of 95%, was the price drop lower or was it in fact greater?

"John Galt" and "onarchy" are the same poster. It is clear from the identical posting styles.

Bad luck, but it really wasn't a very intelligent thing to do, now, was it?

Now, why would I lie about this? It doesn't make any sense. I know who "John Galt" is and his writing style may resemble mine because he has read my blog for many years.

how much was $1 worth when he started, and how much was 5c worth when he'd finished? in other words, was this a drop in price of 95%, was the price drop lower or was it in fact greater?

At the time the US was on the gold standard so the value of the dollar remained pretty stable throughout the period. It's not like today with the corporatist central planning fiat money system.

If you want to educate yourself about Rockefeller I recommend the following brilliant article on the subject:

LOL at your source.

Now, why would I lie about this? It doesn't make any sense. I know who "John Galt" is and his writing style may resemble mine because he has read my blog for many years.

You can't help lying, it permeates your entire being.

At the time the US was on the gold standard so the value of the dollar remained pretty stable throughout the period. It's not like today with the corporatist central planning fiat money system.

no i don't mean the exchange rate stupid. i mean the purchasing power of the $. are you saying that the gold standard miraculously did away with inflation and that the price of gold remained the same throughout the period?

sock puppets are rumbled when the Moderator checks the IP address. Two different accounts under one address? one who's first post is in support of the other accounts arguments?

That's a fairly slick summation, lacking only any context whatsoever. All you've done is said "he did this", you haven't explained how he did it.

Is this opinion or fact?

I wouldn't call that an article, I'd call it by it's true name: Polemic propaganda. About what could be expected from an impartial journal - an apologia that excuses any practices conforming to Objectivist preferences.

I've speed-read it, and downloaded a copy so that I can test the contentions made against the extant facts, mostly because I suspect the same elision of "inconvenient truths" by your fellow-believers as I've seen from you.

This is like right wing idiocy bingo. 'Hitler was a lefty, 88'. I just need a couple more for a full house. Something about unions having a monopoly on labour and how child labour laws are anti-freedom please.

Back
Top Bottom