Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Meat-Free Breakfast thread.

Pretty much every morning, except for Sunday morning, I'll have:-

2 toast with Lidl Lurpak substitute spread
A small portion of baked beans, maybe Branston or failing them Lidl "better" ones to which I've taken to adding a goodly splash of Worcestershire sauce
2 fried eggs, I will be reverting to coddled eggs once the cooking oil is used up
2 cups of sweet, very strong yet with a fair bit of milk, tea

If I've any boiled potatoes left over from the previous nights tea then I'll have some of them, sautéed and some additional Stokes tomato sauce for taste

I've just remembered Worcestershire sauce isn't veggie, but as I'm not, I'm not overly fussed, but it does add a certain "something" that's missing from otherwise barely OK'ish beans
Vegetarian oyster sauce is not a bad substitute for worcestershire sauce if you are cooking for meat free folk - dosage is a bit different so adjust to your taste (lee kum kee and the panda brand have one, both have a green label)

Vegetarian oyster sauce is not a bad substitute for worcestershire sauce if you are cooking for meat free folk - dosage is a bit different so adjust to your taste (lee kum kee and the panda brand have one, both have a green label)

Henderson's relish (tamarind based condiment) is also a good veggie/vegan alternative to Worcestershire sauce - similar flavour with plenty of umami.

My current breakfast, cooked in a partitioned frying pan

The eggs were gently flipped

Sautéed potatoes in olive oil

Mushrooms in butter

Beans are a small portion on Branston ones

Bread is Jason's sourdough

All in all about as an un -ultra processed breakfast, that I'd want to eat, as I can currently produce

Was plated up not eaten from the pan

Attachments

• FB88CF3C-550D-4143-87EE-985CE0E571B7.jpeg
    FB88CF3C-550D-4143-87EE-985CE0E571B7.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 31
The whole point of getting it was to cook everything on one burner. And I do

There's a bit of moving the pan around and starting with the longest cooking item first. In this case the potatoes, then the mushrooms putting the burner centred on the two sections. Next in with the beans but also getting some heat into the two egg sections. It's a juggling act and takes a few hours at getting out right, but I'm pretty sorted with it now

And yes, it is huge

The whole point of getting it was to cook everything on one burner. And I do

There's a bit of moving the pan around and starting with the longest cooking item first. In this case the potatoes, then the mushrooms putting the burner centred on the two sections. Next in with the beans but also getting some heat into the two egg sections. It's a juggling act and takes a few hours at getting out right, but I'm pretty sorted with it now

And yes, it is huge
Ah, makes sense and I suppose to start in the centre the rest will get warm, at least

I would think if it's any sort of decent quality it would have a good thick conductive base - so probably takes a bit longer to heat than a regular size pan, but no reason why it wouldn't properly conduct the heat to the edges of the pan and retain heat there once fully heated.

I would think if it's any sort of decent quality it would have a good thick conductive base - so probably takes a bit longer to heat than a regular size pan, but no reason why it wouldn't properly conduct the heat to the edges of the pan and retain heat there once fully heated.

Yeah, I was idly wondering what it was made of but didn’t want to go too sciencey.

To do what you say seems to imply it is a very heavy object.

All IANAM (I am not a metallurgist) disclaimers apply).

Yeah, I was idly wondering what it was made of but didn’t want to go too sciencey.

To do what you say seems to imply it is a very heavy object.

Yeah I think I'd probably find it a bit unwieldy and impractical - N once bought home a large cast iron frying pan from somewhere he was working when they got new pans, and I can't fucking lift the bugger. :D

Yeah I think I'd probably find it a bit unwieldy and impractical - N once bought home a large cast iron frying pan from somewhere he was working when they got new pans, and I can't fucking lift the bugger. :D

I have a 7 inch cast iron skillet. Unless there are a lot of people I find it does the job excellently. 👌

I have a 7 inch cast iron skillet. Unless there are a lot of people I find it does the job excellently. 👌
My favourite pan is a Meyer 8" stainless steel frying pan - it's built like a fucking tank, I've had it for over 30 years - it is heavy but manageable for me (I am a bit of a weakling tbf) and still looks pristine.

My favourite pan is a Meyer 8" stainless steel frying pan - it's built like a fucking tank, I've had it for over 30 years - it is heavy but manageable for me (I am a bit of a weakling tbf) and still looks pristine.

Yeah, there are some cooking items you pay a wee bit more for and never want for that particular object again. :cool:

Yeah, there are some cooking items you pay a wee bit more for and never want for that particular object again. :cool:

The beauty of it was it wasn't even that expensive at the time - I think I got it in Robert Dyas, I have other cooking equipment including stainless steel saucepans that I got from there at around the same time or earlier that is still in daily use.
Other pans have come and gone in its lifetime.

Crack an egg into a cup, slowly drop it into boiling water then turn it right down, 'til I think its ok - 2-3 mins I guess. No vinegar, no swirling. I've tried all the tips, but simple consistantly works for me.
The vinegar is only necessary if the egg is not fresh.
The swirling is just for the perfect teardrop shaped egg for fine dining posers. It also requires a very tall pan to give the egg time to start to set before it gets to the bottom and flattens out. I'm guessing by the shape you use a frying pan with water in it. Perfectly acceptable practise.

Back
Top Bottom