Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Definitely a want rather than a need with this one: Lenovo ThinkPad T480 i5-8250U - 8GB / 256GB SSD Touchscreen Laptop - Refurbished v/good with code sold by newandusedlaptops4u UK Mainland | hotukdeals

Planning on this to replace my aged i3 based tower. Don't care about the screen as I would use it lid closed with an external monitor. I would then try and network the old computer so I can access the music that is housed on it.

Any pitfalls with this plan?
(coupon knocks it down to £150)
I bought a machine with a similar spec from an Urbanite, used. With which I am very pleased :cool:

Reactions: MBV
Recently found that ctrl shift v inserts unformatted text - well I assume it does in Word, in LibreOffice it brings up the unformatted text menu.
It doesn't work in MS Office because fuck you, that's why.

To be fair to MS - not normally something I like to do - ctrl+shift+v was "paste formatting" in Word years before other apps used it as "paste as plain text". I understand they're pondering changing it, but we've not got that update yet.

It doesn't work in MS Office because fuck you, that's why.

To be fair to MS - not normally something I like to do - ctrl+shift+v was "paste formatting" in Word years before other apps used it as "paste as plain text". I understand they're pondering changing it, but we've not got that update yet.

That's a fucker. But it does work on Teams which is a result.

Finally got round to taking my Pixel 6 with it's really dodgy charging port to a phone shop yesterday to get it replaced. Turns out it just needed cleaning. :facepalm:

Obviously felt like an idiot, but have tried cleaning it and there was no visible dirt in there. Think I'd probably just compressed it at the base of the port. He was really sound, didn't charge me, asked me what I did for work and we got talking. I take my hat of to anyone who can do some of the work that he does, he was talking about the thunderbolt port he was replacing in a very expensive monitor for a customer. I've got total sausage fingers when it comes to any kind of delicate work. I've looked at videos of repairing phones before and it's like hell no. Anyway glad I've found somewhere local that can do this kind of thing, true back alley shop, if it wasn't for his google reviews, I'd have never have stepped foot in there. :)

Ah family tech support this afternoon setting up my partners Dad's new (well re-conditioned) little Dell. I got him a newer monitor and 16GB RAM upgrade. Was slightly miffed when I upgrading the RAM that that Tech Buyer have replaced the NVMe drive with a standard SSD, even if he won't notice the difference. He's coming from spinning rust! When he started using it, he couldn't believe how quick it was. He does pretty well considering he's over 70.

Anyone got a hack for Netflix? I was sharing a friend's password but the sharing clampdown means this doesn't work now.

Does VPN sign up work for a lower monthly fee?

Ah family tech support this afternoon setting up my partners Dad's new (well re-conditioned) little Dell. I got him a newer monitor and 16GB RAM upgrade. Was slightly miffed when I upgrading the RAM that that Tech Buyer have replaced the NVMe drive with a standard SSD, even if he won't notice the difference. He's coming from spinning rust! When he started using it, he couldn't believe how quick it was. He does pretty well considering he's over 70.
<cough> 70 isn't OLD <Cough> :)

It bonkers they haven't blocked this yet. I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to block you paying for Netflix in Argentina unless you have a local card.
To make Netflix look even less competent, Disney have clamped down on it.

Is there any way that you can see what the USB ports are? Are they 15W for example? Some are. My monitor power supply is 15W.

Congratulations!

Reminds me... If anyone's interested in working in the educational sector in London, we've been in desperate need of a mid-level network engineer for some time. PM me if you're interested. Can't promise awesome pay, but there are 8 weeks of holidays and a pretty impressive pension scheme.

Got the job. :)

Had two hours of labs yesterday for the practical exam, found that way more enjoyable then just being grilled having to come up with silly examples of times when I've done something. Next 12 months are going to be crazy busy.
Congratulations! :)

<Cough> Is there any way of telling what wattage your USB C ports are? They can be up to 15W, which would be one cable less for my portable monitor.

I did have the monitor running briefly just through its connection port, but disconnected it sharpish in case it fried the port.

There is a bit that tells you what processor etc you have, is their anything on Windows that will give more detail about the hardware on the machine?

<Cough> Is there any way of telling what wattage your USB C ports are? They can be up to 15W, which would be one cable less for my portable monitor.

I did have the monitor running briefly just through its connection port, but disconnected it sharpish in case it fried the port.

There is a bit that tells you what processor etc you have, is their anything on Windows that will give more detail about the hardware on the machine?

I'd probably check the spec on the manufacturers website as a starting point?

I'm not sure I'd expect the USB port on a PC to deliver enough power, but very happy to be proved wrong.

The device manager (right click on start button) can tell you some of this - I think it gives the USB power rating in amps, so multiply by 5 (as USB is always 5v I think?) to get watts. Standard ports are, or were, 2.5W (ie 0.5A) I think.

The device manager (right click on start button) can tell you some of this - I think it gives the USB power rating in amps, so multiply by 5 (as USB is always 5v I think?) to get watts. Standard ports are, or were, 2.5W (ie 0.5A) I think.
I've sent an E-mail to the manufacturer, hopefully that will solve the problem.

I've finally got co-pilot on own PC, I've been trying to keep an open mind about this one, rather the write it off as the next clippy. I do use open AI a reasonable amount and so can see the appeal. I wouldn't buy a new keyboard to get the special key, but again I could see myself using it if it was there.

Except it's so fucking slow. If this is going to useful then it really needs to start generating the response instantly.

Edit. Although I'm quite surprised it answered this

1709137764605.png

Back
Top Bottom