Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Trying to break the paralysis of what to do next. I've gone right back to flashcards I made a few years ago for my CompTia Net+. Make sure I remember all the concepts and improve them as I go.

Need to find a blaggers guide to ITIL but that can wait.

I've broken the paralysis about what to do for the job interview to be prepared. There's no way I can know what the technical interview/exam will be like if I get past the first round, so I've just decided to spend most of the next few weeks labbing stuff out. I'll hit snags, get frustrated and spend loads of time googling stuff. I'm not going to try and redo MD-102 before then, I can't deal with that level of stress, but my first lab task is to get my head around setting up MDT and all that stuff which I really should have done anyway. I tried a while ago, but lost interest quickly as I all I wanted was some images for a more VMWare project I was doing, but I'm further along this afternoon then last time

The book I ordered about ITIL arrived. It's mercifully short. Although so short I'm a bit miffed it cost me a tenner.

From what i can remember about ITIL its mainly about stardards of tickets types

IN - incident ( backend issues ) and SR service requests ( usual user tickets )

The difference between types of roles , 1st line, 2nd line 3rd and 4th line

Im sure theres more to that but thats all ive ever needed to know

From what i can remember about ITIL its mainly about stardards of tickets types

IN - incident ( backend issues ) and SR service requests ( usual user tickets )

The difference between types of roles , 1st line, 2nd line 3rd and 4th line

Im sure theres more to that but thats all ive ever needed to know
You have to know how to define a "Problem", as well. Though that's usually something assigned to the Change Manager, rather than something the techie has to worry about. I think we've managed to get through to the Service Desk for the most part. I haven't had to dig out my "That is a Service Request, not an Incident" cricket bat for some time.

Does it do your pc any harm to leave it running, chip temp usually lower than 60?

I have my torrent client running, but uploads are minimal.

Does it do your pc any harm to leave it running, chip temp usually lower than 60?

I have my torrent client running, but uploads are minimal.
It causes your 'leccy bill harm and adds noise to the room. The PC itself will be happy as a... why are clams supposed to be happy?

I find it useful to have a NAS that can do stuff like that. It's just a little power-sipping Celeron, but that's enough to run a torrent client and a Squeezebox server while still serving files up to Kodi on the telly.

It causes your 'leccy bill harm and adds noise to the room. The PC itself will be happy as a... why are clams supposed to be happy?

I find it useful to have a NAS that can do stuff like that. It's just a little power-sipping Celeron, but that's enough to run a torrent client and a Squeezebox server while still serving files up to Kodi on the telly.
It's a tiny PC a GEEKOM IT11. The chip draws about 5W when it is idling. Other than briefly on startup, it is virtually silent.

So I'm working with a contractor for probably the next month. He's very detailed, people like him and he does it his way. He's also probably out a job when this project finishes, so has no incentive to move quickly. But everyone thinks he's doing great, so who am I to complain? :D

It now makes total sense why he's been opposed to using any of the powershell scripts I've done to speed the process up. Although I can't believe it was only after I'd built 30 machines that it occurred to me their might be an easier way to set the dam BIOS password. :facepalm:

Playing around with azure free account and it looks like automation accounts are messed up according to the web. Just constant “something went wrong error” on creation

Which is a bugger

That doesn't sound like Microsoft at all...

Although all my problems recently trying to learn MDT have been totally of my own making. I couldn't get my lightouch.iso to domain join and I'm 99.9% sure it's DNS and my vSphere. So I thought fuck it I'll just run Hyper V on a domain joined machine. Except none of the VMs I create can I even get an IP. I'm getting surprisingly few hits for nested virtualisation with Hyper V on top of VMware. I think I found the culprit in vSphere, it's pointing to a DNS server that no longer exists. I assume it works because it gets the data from default gateway? But I can't seem to change it.

Is there a more hateful VPN for end users to setup and use then Sophos? Bit of snow today and the place we're working at panicked asked if we could get laptops out to a few members of staff in case they couldn't come in tomorrow. Honestly it's awful and counter intuitive. Who ever though that just putting the code on the end of an AD password was a good idea, especially when it doesn't even tell you that's what your meant to do? And it refuses to remember credentials, so you've got reauthenticate every fricken time. Sometime several times a day if you've left the PC locked for a while.

Also the guy who does SCCM forgot to include any network drivers on our build sticks. Dropped mine back to him yesterday, but looks like the image went out to the deployment VLAN last night anyway. Woops.

We use Sophos and I hate it

The least a vpn could do is integrate with 365

My last place we used Perimeter 81 which did just that. And could be set to just connect when you signed in and certainly didn't need to be reauthenticated every time.

Then the boss decided we'd just run our OpenVPN servers which also worked, we had to to import the key for the users, so I can see why it's harder to scale, but seemed pretty solid.

I'm sorry you want me to record a video for users? On Sharepoint?

That's what I'll be doing in a couple of weeks time.

Another of my SharePoint drop-in sessions for colleagues. Recorded, edited and posted to our SharePoint Users' Yammer Viva Engage community.

:cool:

Viva seems to be mostly shit, but the bit formerly known as Yammer is still just as useful as before.

It's just got a ridiculous name now :(

Viva seems to be mostly shit, but the bit formerly known as Yammer is still just as useful as before.

It's just got a ridiculous name now :(

So shit then :D

I’m sure HR and management love it but I want nothing to do with it. LinkedIn style wank

Sometimes if I hit a wrong key combination, don't know what, the screen splits with Urban on one side and what looks like the code for Urban on the other side, anyone shed some light?

Back
Top Bottom