Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

The electric air duster that I ordered arrived in the latter part of the morning, and earlier this evening I gave my trusty battlestation a thorough blowjob. She's running cooler now, will be interesting to see what difference it makes when running Starfield, which was previously making things a little toasty.

Very impressed with the dusting machine. Gets hot rather quickly, but still gives better performance than those cans of air that become painfully cold and weak in the blowing department.
£130 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have a teenie PC, sits on your palm if you wish.

Am I right in thinking that if I take it elsewhere all the things like E-mail that it does at home it will do elsewhere?

Anyone know of a bluetooth dongle that will work on a linux mint desktop he asked hopefully. I saw a couple of people on mint forums saying they had one that worked "out of the box" but when I look at the site they say no linux or linux isn't mentioned. I think they were these:

I've spent so many hours fucking around in M365/Intune admin panels this weekend, I think my brain is going to melt and yet I'm doing practice questions and still want to scream.

Apparently the new exams are open book, which is laughable really as I can't find anything useful on Microsoft Learn without using Google anyway.

Anyone know of a bluetooth dongle that will work on a linux mint desktop he asked hopefully. I saw a couple of people on mint forums saying they had one that worked "out of the box" but when I look at the site they say no linux or linux isn't mentioned. I think they were these:

I'd take a punt on Amazon as they've got a pretty solid returns policy.

Why the fuck is IT moderating cresting Viva Engage communities?

The boss really cannot let things go and never really wants to push things as not being ITs problem.

Isn't this what LAPS is for?

(Never implemented it beyond playing this weekend on my test tenancy)

Laps is local admin, we have a lot of laptops and while intune captures most of them into Azure the odd slips and doesn't have a bitlocker password registered in it or its not been put into intune properly (because its old and before either of us joined) and never registered.

So no bitlocker password, dead machine if its been half arsed reimaged.

Laps is local admin, we have a lot of laptops and while intune captures most of them into Azure the odd slips and doesn't have a bitlocker password registered in it or its not been put into intune properly (because its old and before either of us joined) and never registered.

So no bitlocker password, dead machine if its been half arsed reimaged.

You've just made me think. New place the preference is swap out the machine and rebuild rather then extended troubleshooting.

Does SCCM need the Bitlocker keys to do this then. I assume it does?

You've just made me think. New place the preference is swap out the machine and rebuild rather then extended troubleshooting.

Does SCCM need the Bitlocker keys to do this then. I assume it does?

Intune can manage your bitlocker keys for you, as can autopilot if thats your bag.

I've set Autopilot up and in theory you can just ship out to the user unbuilt, they logon if you've done it right and it sets up for them including bitlocker and without local admin. We've not done to much with it yet though because nobody reads my docs and I cba sitting and forcing The Kid to do a longwinded process that doesn't really save much time and he builds all the machines.

The main drawback for me is getting the device hash into the system, suppliers can get those for you but thats not how we get the clean laptops.

Intune can manage your bitlocker keys for you, as can autopilot if thats your bag.

I've set Autopilot up and in theory you can just ship out to the user unbuilt, they logon if you've done it right and it sets up for them including bitlocker and without local admin. We've not done to much with it yet though because nobody reads my docs and I cba sitting and forcing The Kid to do a longwinded process that doesn't really save much time and he builds all the machines.

The main drawback for me is getting the device hash into the system, suppliers can get those for you but thats not how we get the clean laptops.

We had one client it was set up for at my last place by someone who'd left. We never trusted it (or paid Dell to upload the hash) so we'd sit and watch it. I'm not sure why we bothered really.

I learnt this weekend you can autopilot a VM in user driven mode, but it gets stuck in self deploying and doesn't error out.

We had one client it was set up for at my last place by someone who'd left. We never trusted it (or paid Dell to upload the hash) so we'd sit and watch it. I'm not sure why we bothered really.

I learnt this weekend you can autopilot a VM in user driven mode, but it gets stuck in self deploying and doesn't error out.

It works best when you've no apps to deploy or auto-installed on boot... Which when does that happen?

I spent like a week watching a loading screen while I worked out what apps were stopping it working or reinstalling after it said it failed but actually succeeded.

It works best when you've no apps to deploy or auto-installed on boot... Which when does that happen?

I spent like a week watching a loading screen while I worked out what apps were stopping it working or reinstalling after it said it failed but actually succeeded.

I belive in this case it's because you need a physical TPM 2 chip, at least that's what some reddit posts suggested.

I mean it's not a real world scenario I think. But some errors would have been nice.

Rant alert. Despite me having a managed company phone, some fuckwit has put app protection policies in place on Outlook and Teams, so as well as unlocking the phone, I've then got to unlock again when I want to use each of these apps. And the fingerprint reader isn't as good as first thought and face recognition is just shit. Also the person who manages SSCM Endpoint Manager can't actually be arsed to reply to my e-mails. So I've been 6 weeks without a build stick, so I've got to come back to the office to reimage a device. I've got an app I need to update on about 40 endpoints and he's not replied to that email either, which means I'll have to do it manually. Which is a clusterfuck as half of them use laptops and GPs are generally busy people.

Still have a sound card. Mostly because I have it and it still works. If it broke tomorrow, I'd go over to onboard and never look back.

Rant alert. Despite me having a managed company phone, some fuckwit has put app protection policies in place on Outlook and Teams, so as well as unlocking the phone, I've then got to unlock again when I want to use each of these apps. And the fingerprint reader isn't as good as first thought and face recognition is just shit. Also the person who manages SSCM Endpoint Manager can't actually be arsed to reply to my e-mails. So I've been 6 weeks without a build stick, so I've got to come back to the office to reimage a device. I've got an app I need to update on about 40 endpoints and he's not replied to that email either, which means I'll have to do it manually. Which is a clusterfuck as half of them use laptops and GPs are generally busy people.

Is that me :hmm:

Dealing with this a lot lately, CA's and compliance and fuck me its a pain in the arse. MS auditing of OS and logins is an absolute ball ache so I can't even get a good picture of whats logging on where.

My next trick is forcing contractors to login only via W365 remote apps.

The last one I bought was PCI, but there was something special about the last gen. of Creative cards (XTreme Music! How very 20 years ago.) that made someone want to swap me for an Asus that's PCIe. Which is what I still have/use.

I'm sure we all also remember having to pay a fair amount to add a CD Drive. Think I bought a CD writer with my first paycheck...

View attachment 408889

In 1990 I bought a 'disc on a plug in card' for my Amstrad PC1512. It was 30Mb.

I can remember thinking that that was 120 floppies, I'll never fill that. :)

Oh, and it cost £212.00.

I've got 30Tb attached to the PC at the moment. (The five 4Tb Toshiba discs cost about twice the cost of the 30Mb card).

I had a 'disc duplication' business when I worked at Sky, my first burner was 1x1 and blanks were £1.00 each if you bought 100.

Back
Top Bottom