Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Hah, Icy. They make decent enough stuff, except for the NAS I bought off them many years ago. Christ it was useless. Sent me over to the Qnap side and I've stayed there since.

That's a shame. It seems well made, everything fits well. The only frustration for me is because the way the blanks work on my case, I can't put one back once it's fitted. If you've a sleek gaming case which is similar you might not like the aesthetic.

1702209128958.png

I'd have never thought to buy a NAS, but got given a Synology DS220+. It seems decent, although I don't use many of it's features as I've already got a little server. I can see the appeal though for a small low power box for torrenting and direct play from Plex. Was a fucker to join it to the domain though.

Does anyone know how long VMware stuff works when the license has expired? I've not paid my subs for a few months and everything seems to still be working. I'll have lost access to the downloads page, but I don't think I need to set anything up for a while?

So something I suspect must be common is, but I've not really encountered before is people saying they know about stuff, but it turns out they really don't. Where as I'd rather say I don't so I can ask questions and learn. It's been fine up till now, but I was doing a migration yesterday and the project manager told me that they'd had no problems moving something over to SharePoint. The technical lead is on annual leave so I sat down and made it work as it was needed that day. Except it doesn't work that well and it turns out that technical lead has done nothing of sort on past sites and just left the old servers running.

Does anyone know how long VMware stuff works when the license has expired? I've not paid my subs for a few months and everything seems to still be working. I'll have lost access to the downloads page, but I don't think I need to set anything up for a while?
Existing vSphere licenses shouldn't expire, but you're fucked at the next upgrade. Up 'til this week, all vsphere licenses were perpetual, it was just support that renewed. Some of the other bobbins may be on timed licenses, but what happens when they expire depends on the bobbins in question.

34Tb? How do you manage with so little? :D

I have 40Tb, but 12Tb of it is in a NAS that isn't connected at the moment.

I know right? I don't actually spend that many hours a week watching stuff and we had Netflix and Prime for a long time, so it was just to fill in gaps.

Now I've ditched them both and have a 4k TV then storage is more important. What seems weird is a small pile of hard drives, including a 2TB that currently aren't used as there's no space. I could get more hardware, but I think the answer is replacing what I've got with bigger disks when the time comes.

Spent an hour pissing round with powershell scripts having a go with powershell remoting trying to copy files and getting nowhere. I assumed there was some weird black magic to the way it handled UNC paths. Tried doing some simple stuff with no UNC paths and got the same error.

Turns out that I'd forgot the show file name extensions on the VM I'd set up to play on, so my test.txt was actually test.txt.txt. Not enough :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Fuck sake. Thought I'd WFH home this morning and Virgin is down. I mean I'm tethering and it looks Vodaphone have upgraded the 5g round these parts, but it still pissed me off, especially as I'm on a business contract. Also my work VPN makes your re authenticate with an app everytime you restart a device which is annoying if your building a laptop.

Fuck sake. Thought I'd WFH home this morning and Virgin is down. I mean I'm tethering and it looks Vodaphone have upgraded the 5g round these parts, but it still pissed me off, especially as I'm on a business contract. Also my work VPN makes your re authenticate with an app everytime you restart a device which is annoying if your building a laptop.

I have three different authenticator apps and maybe 10 registered mfa on them and god I hate it

Maybe one you network folks can explain this to me? I'm fitting new APs to GP surgerys today. Waiting for one to come online, I started googling the specs and notice they are over a grand. Most stuff here is wired anyway. I know UniFi is looked down upon by serious network folks, but we used it for our clients in my last job. Is a Cisco one at over a grand that much better the a top of the range UnFi AP? Especially when it's tax payers money?

So I sold various e-tat on Facebook so can justify buying a mine PC to use as a router. Fuck me it's a rabbit hole trying to work out what Chinese brands are worth buying. Many are probably all made in the same place anyway, but still.

Tempted by this one even though I can find little information about it. 4 core Intel N100, 8GB RAM and 256GB NVMe drive with 6 2.5 Gbps LAN ports for £160. CPU is only 6w..

1703422772906.png

Maybe one you network folks can explain this to me? I'm fitting new APs to GP surgerys today. Waiting for one to come online, I started googling the specs and notice they are over a grand. Most stuff here is wired anyway. I know UniFi is looked down upon by serious network folks, but we used it for our clients in my last job. Is a Cisco one at over a grand that much better the a top of the range UnFi AP? Especially when it's tax payers money?
Unifi hasn't got the features that an enterprise network needs. It's fine for small businesses but definitely not for the NHS.

Also, remember that the NHS will not be paying a grand per ap. They will be hugely discounted. They make their money on the recurring support costs, ISE subscription costs, firewall costs etc.

If any of those 6e aps happen to go 'missing', I'll take it off your hands 👍

So I sold various e-tat on Facebook so can justify buying a mine PC to use as a router. Fuck me it's a rabbit hole trying to work out what Chinese brands are worth buying. Many are probably all made in the same place anyway, but still.

Tempted by this one even though I can find little information about it. 4 core Intel N100, 8GB RAM and 256GB NVMe drive with 6 2.5 Gbps LAN ports for £160. CPU is only 6w..

View attachment 405623
Maybe have a look at mikrotik. They are decent and cheap.

It isn't tax payer's money, at least not directly.

GP surgeries are employed fixed price contractors, improvements and renovations come out of their own funds.

Unifi hasn't got the features that an enterprise network needs. It's fine for small businesses but definitely not for the NHS.

Also, remember that the NHS will not be paying a grand per ap. They will be hugely discounted. They make their money on the recurring support costs, ISE subscription costs, firewall costs etc.

If any of those 6e aps happen to go 'missing', I'll take it off your hands 👍

That makes sense. Especially about the discount. Sadly I don't have access to the control panels and stuff so I can see just how different it is compared to Unifi/Omada. The thought did cross my mind, but I'm to honest really and my home network is pretty overkill already on the WiFi front.

Maybe have a look at mikrotik. They are decent and cheap.

Oh this is purely about having a toy rather then something functional. There's nothing wrong with my TP Link, but I quite like the idea of playing with OPNsense and the various plugins you can use.

It isn't tax payer's money, at least not directly.

GP surgeries are employed fixed price contractors, improvements and renovations come out of their own funds.

Yes and no. They purchase some of their own stuff and other stuff is supplied by us and will be included in the contract, but we maintain ownership of it.

Yes and no. They purchase some of their own stuff and other stuff is supplied by us and will be included in the contract, but we maintain ownership of it.

Here in Scotland we don't even have an electronic prescription service. I phone my request to the pharmacy, the pharmacy takes my request to the surgery. The surgery writes the prescription which the pharmacy then physically collects, fills, then texts me to say it is ready. A repeat from my surgery usually takes four days, occasionally five.

Back
Top Bottom