Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Got display fusion pro cheap during the black friday season, also got a docking station for my laptop from ebay for £5.99.

Now with the new monitor set up and my old monitor set vertically, I've got the equivalent of 4 screens and appear to be doing much more work (or at least the same work, much more quickly) :hmm:

Sounds interesting. I take it better then what's baked into Win 11?

Can it make an RDP window scale to half a screen nicely?

I don't use win 11 :oops: so dont know, should really upgrade at some point.

You can set zones on each monitor and then snap an app into each one. although all 4 windows have their own task bar which can be helpful

ETA I just tried with RDP, the window is there but the scaling isnt, but im sure that can be sorted with some thought.

I'm still happily chuntering on with a middle-aged Yoga PC I bought from an Urbanite. Yeah, it's a bit slower responding than my desktop, but it runs Ubuntu Studio just fine, and in Windows, I'm mostly writing, emailing, or using Chrome.

I think really slick modern hardware would probably be wasted on me :)

I've spent the last few weeks installing and configuring new laptops and docks with duel screens in GP surgeries. It's reminded me just what a mess of cabling my office is. I'm going to have another go this weekend if I find time, but it's hard as I've got two display cables in each screen for WFH. One thing I like that's really neat, but my screens don't support is display port passthrough. Shame as they are both fairly new.

Mate of ours keeps asking for advice then fucking ignoring it after I find the correct solution for her. Now on her third mobile hotspot, having pointlessly bought a laptop, which then would not accept usb devices I told her not to get. They have just replaced the three 4g mobile hotspot that had no reception with another three 4g mobile hotspot, with no reception. They have a vodafone mobile with 4g where they live and did not use the originally suggested vodafone 4g mobile hotspots....

Mate of ours keeps asking for advice then fucking ignoring it after I find the correct solution for her. Now on her third mobile hotspot, having pointlessly bought a laptop, which then would not accept usb devices I told her not to get. They have just replaced the three 4g mobile hotspot that had no reception with another three 4g mobile hotspot, with no reception. They have a vodafone mobile with 4g where they live and did not use the originally suggested vodafone 4g mobile hotspots....

They need to buy an Apple.

They need to buy an Apple.
BIL bought apple, MIL whined about why bother than bought an ipad. Next thing she is ringing us asking what she is supposed to do with it?

We said we don't know apple stuff, don't but it. Next minute she is telling us she bought one and has no idea why? I have no idea why that's out problem. Turns out it is. Didn't ask BIL with all apple while we are android and PC tho......

That comes to anywhere between £1k and £3600, depending on how you kit it out. We demand more details on a tech post thread!
It cost about £2.2k in a sale (it's about £2.7k now).

Ridiculously specced but a fabulous machine. It doesn't break a sweat even doing loads of stuff.

I do watch youtube videos so that probably gives it something to do.
Only if you're encoding videos for YouTube, really.
But, deadly serious, if you don't do video encoding, don't do AI training, and don't game you should probably recoup some cash by flogging the card on Ebay and getting something less overkill. Photoshop can't even overload a 4060, and the 4080 is well over twice as powerful.

Only if you're encoding videos for YouTube, really.
But, deadly serious, if you don't do video encoding, don't do AI training, and don't game you should probably recoup some cash by flogging the card on Ebay and getting something less overkill. Photoshop can't even overload a 4060, and the 4080 is well over twice as powerful.
Nah, it's too much effort and why bother anyway? The graphics card will sit there doing nowt without a problem.

Unless you want to buy it for £10,000...

Back
Top Bottom