Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Any "five minute job" in Power Automate has now been turned into at least a 20minute job courtesy of the new "modern" editor. Which is fucking horrible :mad:

We asked the developers to fix our dynamics so we could remove multiple timesheets the other day but apparently “Microsoft have modernised the UI for mobile to make it more accessible and such a feature isn’t possible”

I was fuming. Who the fuck is doing timesheets on mobile willingly?

Modern UX designers need to be sent to the fucking gulag

We asked the developers to fix our dynamics so we could remove multiple timesheets the other day but apparently “Microsoft have modernised the UI for mobile to make it more accessible and such a feature isn’t possible”

I was fuming. Who the fuck is doing timesheets on mobile willingly?

Modern UX designers need to be sent to the fucking gulag
TBF, shite UX design is not a "modern" thing. For a start, it goes back to the first version of Windows :D, and (some might say) even further back than that.

I mean everyone loves to moan about Microsoft, but then I try a Linux distro and realise they've got a lot of things right.
I wouldn't necessarily want to hold Linux up as some kind of paragon, but at the very least, the core UX principles are agnostic enough to make it possible to design decent UIs without fighting against the OS.

I wouldn't necessarily want to hold Linux up as some kind of paragon, but at the very least, the core UX principles are agnostic enough to make it possible to design decent UIs without fighting against the OS.

A command prompt? I can still why it's favoured by many people. It doesn't get redesigned so often...

Can anyone help me with remote desk to recommendations?

Got my home PC running windows 11 Pro with my plex server on, and i want to dial in with my laptop also windows 11 Pro,

i have tired the windows App but never works.

anyone know a cheap or free one that would work without me accepting the connection at home (as i wont be there)
I tend to use anydesk or TeamViewer. They both have unattended modes so will work as long as the pc is on.

Was a chrome extension

OK, it's been ages since I set it up as I've switched to using a Remote Desktop Gateway, so I set it up on a VM to have a play.

I installed the extension, then went to manage the extension and set up remote access for that computer. I had to download an MSI and install it and set a PIN for that device. No prompts on screen.

Oh another great remote access tool is a pier to pier mesh VPN like Tailscale. It's stupidly easy to setup. You just install it on the devices you want in the same network, sign in and it does it's magic. Uses Wirguard behind the scenes, but you don't have to touch it. I think ZeroTier does similar, but I've not used it.

I've used Tailscale to view stuff on my plex server before I had Plex Pass.

Wishing I'd marked the drives in my little server. I've got 3 hard drives in there the same size and I'm replacing one with a bigger one, so it's a case of pull them out and find out. And the HP is not quick to boot!

Playing with domain joining my NAS, so I can map it via group policy nicely. Fuck me Synology, that's way harder then it needs to be. At least I found a reddit thread with lots of people bitching and eventually an answer.

I'm learning loads in the new job, but not actually that much technical stuff, more processes. There's lots of holes in my knowledge for desktop support, simply because I didn't have to do to much of it. I've deployed more laptops and done more RAM upgrades in the last few weeks, then I have in the last two years. There's a few people in the team above me though who are really sound and happy to chat and answer my questions and it's good to see stuff on a different scale. I've been more inspired to start doing more labbing to keep the technical knowledge that I have built up.

What I find really weird is how many people there are to the role I used to do. There's one guy whose job it is just to image and build laptops. What I find even weirder is most people I meet aren't actually that interested in learning more, beyond their immediate job. I had to shadow the build guy for a day and they have to turn off ipv6 as part of the build process on 4 network adapters, so I spent 15 mins googling and worked out the PowerShell. He looked really worried, so I decided not to push it further. Fair enough, but I found out later he's recently graduated with a degree in cyber security, how can you have so little interest?

I've never been a fan of onscreen finger print readers, but had them for years. Now I've got a mid range Samsung as a work phone where it's on the power button, it's really bought home how crap they are in comparison. I wish a big manufacturor would buck the trend and bring back physical ones on premium phones.

Reactions: Chz
I've never been a fan of onscreen finger print readers, but had them for years. Now I've got a mid range Samsung as a work phone where it's on the power button, it's really bought home how crap they are in comparison. I wish a big manufacturor would buck the trend and bring back physical ones on premium phones.
Honestly my only real complaint about the Pixel 7. Yeah, it could use a 3.5mm jack or a bigger battery, but those don't piss me off on a daily basis like the screen reader does.

Got myself a Samsung S22 recently (ditched my old Huawei very reluctantly, but I had to) and have very mixed feelings about the print reader / face scan (both new to me). It seems to take half a second longer than it should, ie in the time it takes for the phone to say 'i dont recognise your face' and EVERY time, I start to type my pin but only get to the first number and it then recognises my face and unlocks.

I agree. I've recently been given a second-hand Samsung S10+ which has an on-screen fingerprint reader, and it's useless. It maybe manages to read a fingerprint about 30% of the time. My cheap old Huawei phone with a reader on the back almost never got it wrong and as far as I can remember my Dell laptop, which has fingerprint reader on the on/off button has never misread it.

I agree. I've recently been given a second-hand Samsung S10+ which has an on-screen fingerprint reader, and it's useless. It maybe manages to read a fingerprint about 30% of the time. My cheap old Huawei phone with a reader on the back almost never got it wrong and as far as I can remember my Dell laptop, which has fingerprint reader on the on/off button has never misread it.

+1 !!!

Face scan is shit I'd basically forgot about it, but had a play with it when setting up this Samsung. It doesn't work with my glasses. And I don't actually want to have to look at my phone if I'm paying for it.

I'm also pretty sure it's not super secure on Android, yet I can I can use it, but I can't use Windows Hello to sign in to my work laptop.

My S7, A71 and work A summat, I wanna say A34 Samsung fingerprint readers we're all excellent.

So is the one I use now on my Pixel 7 Pro.

Horses for courses, innit. Plus, how old is that phone now? How clean is it? Has it been damaged and repaired etc blah...

The only time fingerprint fails regularly is when I've very recently showered or used soap. Older hands are drier/have less oil on the skin which seems to make a difference I've found. But that's with all devices, so it's the finger, not the reader that's at 'fault'.

My S7, A71 and work A summat, I wanna say A34 Samsung fingerprint readers we're all excellent.

So is the one I use now on my Pixel 7 Pro.

Horses for courses, innit. Plus, how old is that phone now? How clean is it? Has it been damaged and repaired etc blah...

The only time fingerprint fails regularly is when I've very recently showered or used soap. Older hands are drier/have less oil on the skin which seems to make a difference I've found. But that's with all devices, so it's the finger, not the reader that's at 'fault'.
It's about four years old, but it's hardly been used and the screen is clean. And yes, my hands are older and drier (I'm 71) but they worked on my old Huawei.

Got display fusion pro cheap during the black friday season, also got a docking station for my laptop from ebay for £5.99.

Now with the new monitor set up and my old monitor set vertically, I've got the equivalent of 4 screens and appear to be doing much more work (or at least the same work, much more quickly) :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom