Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Had power cut last night with the storms. I've been going round switching on lights to check whether it's back on and nothing. I just found out that the power's on but the lights have tripped out :facepalm: . The RCD covering them and one downstairs circuit won't let me reset. :hmm:

Had power cut last night with the storms. I've been going round switching on lights to check whether it's back on and nothing. I just found out that the power's on but the lights have tripped out :facepalm: . The RCD covering them and one downstairs circuit won't let me reset. :hmm:
Probably got a blown bulb, make sure all your light switches are off and then reset the RCD and the circuit. Turn on the light switches one at a time until you trip out again.

That good? Isn't it like £30 per user per month?

I’ve inherited responsibility for everything the contractor who built the company to a grand total of 150 people can’t be arsed to do and that includes intune management.

I’m used to being able to plug in and build a clean image I’ve created. Autopilot is supposedly able to do similar on a user level but it’s just not.

Feels like it takes longer than just taking the machine out of box and doing everything manually. From having to upload the device hash to watching the apps fail to install or download in company portal it’s like pulling teeth

Also I spent a couple of days trying to unload Mcafee live safe and that can fuck off n all as it’s a lump of spyware shite you still have to manually remove

I’ve inherited responsibility for everything the contractor who built the company to a grand total of 150 people can’t be arsed to do and that includes intune management.

I’m used to being able to plug in and build a clean image I’ve created. Autopilot is supposedly able to do similar on a user level but it’s just not.

Feels like it takes longer than just taking the machine out of box and doing everything manually. From having to upload the device hash to watching the apps fail to install or download in company portal it’s like pulling teeth

I'm glad it's not just me. The whole hash thing is shit. I know your supposed to get Dell or who ever to send them to you, but we never paid the extra. I hate how there's no instant feedback so your left wondering if you fucked up with the deployment or its just taking its time. Didn't help we just used it with one small client so I never got loads of hands on with it.

Turning RCD on. That is though possibly the first time I remember a loud bang actually being a good sign. It came from one of two rooms and one of the light switches was on so I've taken out the three spots on that switch and all the lights work again :)

now it's just one downstairs power circuit that doesn't work. Unfortunately a mate put it in and I forgot to mark on the labels which RCD it is :rolleyes: . None of the RCDs has tripped though so I'm still somewhat puzzled.

But anyway thanks I've now got my lights and smoke alarm back :)

Turning RCD on. That is though possibly the first time I remember a loud bang actually being a good sign. It came from one of two rooms and one of the light switches was on so I've taken out the three spots on that switch and all the lights work again :)

now it's just one downstairs power circuit that doesn't work. Unfortunately a mate put it in and I forgot to mark on the labels which RCD it is :rolleyes: . None of the RCDs has tripped though so I'm still somewhat puzzled.

But anyway thanks I've now got my lights and smoke alarm back :)
Awesome

I'm glad it's not just me. The whole hash thing is shit. I know your supposed to get Dell or who ever to send them to you, but we never paid the extra. I hate how there's no instant feedback so your left wondering if you fucked up with the deployment or its just taking its time. Didn't help we just used it with one small client so I never got loads of hands on with it.

The hash thing only works if you have a proper reseller or client relationship and I really don’t see the vast majority of orgs having that.

The main selling point of it from my perspective is I can smash the local admin rights on peoples machine and push out software but it’s still shit and I could do that without autopilot tbf

The hash thing only works if you have a proper reseller or client relationship and I really don’t see the vast majority of orgs having that.

The main selling point of it from my perspective is I can smash the local admin rights on peoples machine and push out software but it’s still shit and I could do that without autopilot tbf

Ah. Even though we are a tiny MSP who didn't buy that much a year, we had the option, but never used it. We were still stuck with having an old fashioned local admin as Zoho would play nice if you didn't.

Anyway my last day today. Boss took me out for lunch, let me keep my laptop, was all a bit weird. He said he thought I'd be good at IT Management. He was trying to he nice, but I'm not sure if thats a complement I wanted :D

Errrm I've just been moved over to VoIP and tried to phone 1571 to get messages and it don't work :confused: I took a bit of a look for a solution but people seem to be saying .... it don't work :(

Errrm I've just been moved over to VoIP and tried to phone 1571 to get messages and it don't work :confused: I took a bit of a look for a solution but people seem to be saying .... it don't work :(
I think that everyone is moving over to VOIP.

The biggest drawback is not being able to get your messages, it is not being able to call 999 if there is a power cut.

The biggest drawback is not being able to get your messages, it is not being able to call 999 if there is a power cut.
They're working on the (not totally unreasonable) assumption that there is at least one mobile phone per household in this day and age. However if there really isn't or someone lives in an area with no mobile coverage, they are required to fit a master socket that contains a backup battery that can still power the link.

Assume this is BT aye?

If Aye, you sometimes need to reset it by turning it off and back on again (I know)

15710 turns it off
15711 turns it back on

Might be worth checking if it is actually available now you're on VoIP, or is there a different product for that system, call minder or whatever.

Assume this is BT aye?

If Aye, you sometimes need to reset it by turning it off and back on again (I know)

15710 turns it off
15711 turns it back on

Might be worth checking if it is actually available now you're on VoIP, or is there a different product for that system, call minder or whatever.
ta - no I'm with Zen. I've sent them a message asking about it.

The biggest drawback I had when they moved me to VoIP wasn't a power cut it was that I came down one morning and my phone didn't work and I didn't know why because they hadn't told me.

I had a power cut and don't get mobile reception but do have battery backup so that wasn't actually a problem.

Assume this is BT aye?

15710 turns it off
15711 turns it back on

They got back to me nice and quickly. It's now **600 and seems to work nicely :)

Got new work laptop this week, HP Elitebook. Feels quite nice and even has card reader. What's weird is that they still have barrel chargers (although charges from USB C). Seems it would make more sense just to add an extra USB C port.

Got new work laptop this week, HP Elitebook. Feels quite nice and even has card reader. What's weird is that they still have barrel chargers (although charges from USB C). Seems it would make more sense just to add an extra USB C port.
Usually so that it remains compatible with older chargers that companies are likely to have lying about. They'll phase it out for another usb port in a few years.

I'm glad someone got a good one, because I loathe my Elitebook. I want my old Latitude back.

Usually so that it remains compatible with older chargers that companies are likely to have lying about. They'll phase it out for another usb port in a few years.

I'm glad someone got a good one, because I loathe my Elitebook. I want my old Latitude back.

Well it's early days. It feels a bit more sluggish then I expected for the specs, 12th gen with 16GB, not sure if that's because it's only got two "real" cores or the amount of crap the NHS has put on it.

I wasn't expecting the level of access I got in my last place, but this is going to take some serious adjustment. I couldn't even reset MS365 passwords where I was today and I'm still not sure how to get AD working on my laptop. I know it's not good practice, but I was used to just RPDing/SSHing to whatever server I wanted, having overview of all our networking and full access to vSphere.

Looking around for yet more drive space. Deciding on weather to risk it on old data centre 8TB drive from a decent store or see if there are bargains on external drives on black friday that I can just shuck (pull the drive from). It's not going to get a whole load of action as I'll just be storing films on it for my increasing Plex library.

Got offered a SAN before I left with 12x2TB drives, but it's probably not worth the power costs. :D

Last edited:
Following up from my power cut, a couple of strange things. The kitchen light has a double switch, and one of them only works when the switch is down. If I try to switch it on by setting the switch to up the lights go on briefly but then go off. The top contact of the switch is now clearly fucked.

More puzzling is that one of the MCBs seems to have failed. The only one that wasn't in use, and so the one I presume my mate installed the extra downstairs socket ring on, is a 40A MCB. I don't think the sockets themselves are fused so fuck knows what's gone.

Took the plunge and ordered a 34 inch WQHD ultra widescreen monitor (HP black Friday deal )

It is mainly for work, I haven't got the space or a docking station to have 2 monitors so this will help enormously, with a usb c connection, I might be able put my normal monitor vertically and have loads of space for working and look like some villain in a hollywood blockbuster.

I also want to plug my gaming pc/ ps5 in to it for some racing games.

Took the plunge and ordered a 34 inch WQHD ultra widescreen monitor (HP black Friday deal )

It is mainly for work, I haven't got the space or a docking station to have 2 monitors so this will help enormously, with a usb c connection, I might be able put my normal monitor vertically and have loads of space for working and look like some villain in a hollywood blockbuster.

I also want to plug my gaming pc/ ps5 in to it for some racing games.

I love mine. Bought it for gaming, but was great for working at home. It's the same height as the 27 I've got next to it so works well.

I had a vertical 27 at my last place as one of 3. It was great for things like teams and password managers.

Back
Top Bottom