Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

So I sold various e-tat on Facebook so can justify buying a mine PC to use as a router. Fuck me it's a rabbit hole trying to work out what Chinese brands are worth buying. Many are probably all made in the same place anyway, but still.

Tempted by this one even though I can find little information about it. 4 core Intel N100, 8GB RAM and 256GB NVMe drive with 6 2.5 Gbps LAN ports for £160. CPU is only 6w..

View attachment 405623
That's fairly impressive, considering you'd pay that for a 6 port 2.5Gb unmanaged switch not very long ago. I've been looking at moving the home network to 2.5Gb. Only one device at present, but the NAS has a cheap pcie card for it and the second PC is due an upgrade from Ivy Bridge when Win10 support ends.

That's fairly impressive, considering you'd pay that for a 6 port 2.5Gb unmanaged switch not very long ago. I've been looking at moving the home network to 2.5Gb. Only one device at present, but the NAS has a cheap pcie card for it and the second PC is due an upgrade from Ivy Bridge when Win10 support ends.

When I was building out my home network I wanted to go faster then 1Gbps, but it was two expensive really, especially as I decided I didn't want to use loud power hungry ex enterprise gear.

However this would mean that I could move a few devices over and 2.5Gb cards don't seem that pricey.

Fuck me it's a rabbit hole trying to work out what Chinese brands are worth buying. Many are probably all made in the same place anyway, but still.

I’ve had a NanoPi NEO3 and NanoPi R2S from NanoPC & NanoPi which I’ve used for various network functions. There are lots of distros that will work on them e.g. friendlywrt, DietPi etc. Available from a million sellers on AliExpress etc.

My network is a lot more minimal these days as lots of stuff got put into storage in 2022.

Think I'm going to play it safe with a well know brand like Topton. :D I mean I say well known, but I've found some very long threads on the net about them, which is a slight improvement then what I found before. Sadly I can't find any 6 port ones reviewed in a price range I'm happy with, so it's a 4 port model. A lot of people seem have it run a hypervisor and then run opnsense/pfsense on top, but not sure there's anything for me to gain by doing that. As it's x86 if I decide I don't want it as my router/firewall then it's got enough grunt that it will work as small pc quite nicely.

88.35£ 48% OFF|Pfsense Firewall N5105 Router 4x Intel I225-v B3 2.5g Lan 2xddr4 Nvme Industrial Fanless Mini Pc 4xusb Hdmi2.0 Opnsense Pve Esxi - Barebone & Mini Pc - AliExpress

A couple of spare 2.5GBs ports could be nice, but I'm still not sure how well it handles switching or if it's that desirable to have it do so.

In the meantime I've had Plex buffer a few times since I moved it of the little HP microserver I use as a file server/torrent box and onto another PC which can transcode (but kept the media on the server). Buffering seems to happen when I've a lot of downloads/uploads running. I remembered the HP has duel NICs and the switch supports it, so I've set that up to see if it makes a difference. :)

I have a Geekom IT11 mini PC.

Just had an internal expansion drive delivered, but it won't fit the slot, the drive is 15mm thick. I've just ordered an external enclosure for a tenner, so I can use it as an external disc. A bugger, but my fault.

Can anyone tell me which drive I should order for the IT11, it needs to be 9.5mm thick? I think that the max is 2Tb, which is a bugger, because the 15mm drive was 5Tb.

I should have done some more research before ordering. (Burned all the Amazon vouchers I got for birthday and Christmas buying it :( ).

I have a Geekom IT11 mini PC.

Just had an internal expansion drive delivered, but it won't fit the slot, the drive is 15mm thick. I've just ordered an external enclosure for a tenner, so I can use it as an external disc. A bugger, but my fault.

Can anyone tell me which drive I should order for the IT11, it needs to be 9.5mm thick? I think that the max is 2Tb, which is a bugger, because the 15mm drive was 5Tb.

I should have done some more research before ordering. (Burned all the Amazon vouchers I got for birthday and Christmas buying it :( ).

Until you posted I was only vaguely aware this was much of an issue. However their site says it's a 7mm drive height, which seems to be the size of the first 3 SSDs I looked at. Are you trying to fit a mechanical hard drive?

Edit. Amazon normally have a pretty spot on returns policy, can't you send it back?

Until you posted I was only vaguely aware this was much of an issue. However their site says it's a 7mm drive height, which seems to be the size of the first 3 SSDs I looked at. Are you trying to fit a mechanical hard drive?

Edit. Amazon normally have a pretty spot on returns policy, can't you send it back?
I scratched the edge trying to get to get it under the bar at the top of the bay. I have a second cheapie mini machine that I use in bed with a portable monitor, I can use it as an external for that.

It looks like you pay a bit more for one, but here's an example.

However I'd suggest there's not much point in 2.5" mechanical drives in this decade. They're even slower then a 3.5" and much more expensive for the same capacity. If you need additional storage for software then SSD is really the only way to go. If you want to store more media, I'd suggest you'd get better value looking at 3.5" external to the machine?

For some daft reason I said I'd set up Jellyfin in addition to Plex on my media server for someone I know. When it comes to remote access I can really really see why Plex is popular, even if you need to pay for it to get the most out of it. If it was just out of the kindness of my heart I'd have given up long ago or just told him to use Plex, but I'm not hating the challenge (although it's infuriating) and am currently trying to get my head around setting up caddy as a reverse proxy.

Edit: After staring at it for hours last night, I realised it was cloudflares proxy breaking things. :)

Last edited:
I've been entertaining myself for the last couple of days using Google Sheets' IMPORTHTML function to drag data out of opentraintimes. Completely pointless, but rather satisfying...although it's a perfect reminder of why a spreadsheet is rarely the proper tool for the job! Still, when they can embed Python into it, all will be good :cool:

OK, I now have the drive referred to above, and it fits.

It isn't showing on explorer, but is showing on device manager/drives.

HELP! (Please.).

Micro PC in going to use as a router arrived from China already! That's pretty fast. Seems a solid little thing, all metal, which makes sense if it's passively cooled. Not going to have to time to play with for a while sadly, although I'll plug it in to check it works. I went all out and got the quad core N100 with 16GB DDR5 & 256GB NVMe. Seems a lot of hardware for £165.

PXL_20240109_155008522.jpgPXL_20240109_155016125.jpgPXL_20240109_155445637.jpg

Micro PC in going to use as a router arrived from China already! That's pretty fast. Seems a solid little thing, all metal, which makes sense if it's passively cooled. Not going to have to time to play with for a while sadly, although I'll plug it in to check it works. I went all out and got the quad core N100 with 16GB DDR5 & 256GB NVMe. Seems a lot of hardware for £165.

View attachment 407640View attachment 407641View attachment 407642
I got a Lenovo ThinkCentre thing to run my home automation - similar price point, but yours seems a bit more bang for the buck. And I wouldn't have needed all those Ethernet ports anyway :D

If you're going to use it as a router, can you just bung DD-WRT on it?

I got a Lenovo ThinkCentre thing to run my home automation - similar price point, but yours seems a bit more bang for the buck. And I wouldn't have needed all those Ethernet ports anyway :D

If you're going to use it as a router, can you just bung DD-WRT on it?

I've got a tiny one of those and they are great. It's currently being used to transcode for Plex and some other bits. If I wanted more CPU power it would be a better choice for similar money, in fact my 6 core i5 8500T was less. Fitting a second NIC to those little MFF looks tricky though which put me off.

They don't consume much juice either, but the TDP on this little N100 is even lower at only 6W.

I spotted a job advert today that I really want. My new job is pretty nice, but I don't feel stretched technically at all. I've hardly had to do any proper troubleshooting (how the horror fades) and despite them listing server qualifications as desirable, the closest I get to managing a server is organising AD. Forget about access to vSphere or any of the networking stuff. My thinking had been to stick out and apply internally for something higher. Except a role has just come up today as a trainee L3/sysadmin, same salary as I'm on, but move up to the next band after a year. I'd half thought I might have to jump trusts to do this, but I don't really want to as this job is on my doorstep. Anyway some of things they've listed as desirable is are Windows Server Certs and VMWare Certs. I know none of the current L3 team actually have these and I know nobody else eligible to apply has any experience working with vSphere. But I have only been here 3 months.

So I've booked a VCTA exam in a week and halves time. I know it's just one of those "describe" type exams, but there's a lot to cover and so looks like I'm going to quite busy till then. :D

I spotted a job advert today that I really want. My new job is pretty nice, but I don't feel stretched technically at all. I've hardly had to do any proper troubleshooting (how the horror fades) and despite them listing server qualifications as desirable, the closest I get to managing a server is organising AD. Forget about access to vSphere or any of the networking stuff. My thinking had been to stick out and apply internally for something higher. Except a role has just come up today as a trainee L3/sysadmin, same salary as I'm on, but move up to the next band after a year. I'd half thought I might have to jump trusts to do this, but I don't really want to as this job is on my doorstep. Anyway some of things they've listed as desirable is are Windows Server Certs and VMWare Certs. I know none of the current L3 team actually have these and I know nobody else eligible to apply has any experience working with vSphere. But I have only been here 3 months.

So I've booked a VCTA exam in a week and halves time. I know it's just one of those "describe" type exams, but there's a lot to cover and so looks like I'm going to quite busy till then. :D

Ah. Scrap the VMWare idea. :(

Stayed up quite late night trying to get a handle on what I needed to learn and working out what resources I needed. For CompTIA and Microsoft stuff there's a fair bit of lower cost and even free material. This does not seem to be the case for VCTA. Luckily I was able to get a refund on the exam and flashcards and notes I made aren't wasted as it's clued me in a bit more if I have to talk about it.

Playing with reports on conditional access again. The sign in logs are not great from Microsoft are they .

I don’t log into any other device with my admin account and it’s giving me the office ip address but it’s telling me device isn’t managed in the logs

The electric air duster that I ordered arrived in the latter part of the morning, and earlier this evening I gave my trusty battlestation a thorough blowjob. She's running cooler now, will be interesting to see what difference it makes when running Starfield, which was previously making things a little toasty.

Very impressed with the dusting machine. Gets hot rather quickly, but still gives better performance than those cans of air that become painfully cold and weak in the blowing department.

The electric air duster that I ordered arrived in the latter part of the morning, and earlier this evening I gave my trusty battlestation a thorough blowjob. She's running cooler now, will be interesting to see what difference it makes when running Starfield, which was previously making things a little toasty.

Very impressed with the dusting machine. Gets hot rather quickly, but still gives better performance than those cans of air that become painfully cold and weak in the blowing department.

See I got a little sucker/blower from Amazon, it's not as good as a duster, but just about does the job and is a lot cheaper to run then buying air dusters, so was curious and clicked your link. Jesus. No wonder it's better then an air duster at that price. The build/disposable team at work have one of those and they certainly are impressive bits of kit. Don't think I can justify one though. :(

I think the posh remote was extra! The remote I have is inferior to by 12 yr old Samsung remote!

See I got a little sucker/blower from Amazon, it's not as good as a duster, but just about does the job and is a lot cheaper to run then buying air dusters, so was curious and clicked your link. Jesus. No wonder it's better then an air duster at that price. The build/disposable team at work have one of those and they certainly are impressive bits of kit. Don't think I can justify one though. :(

I think it's worth the price. The other ones I looked at were plasticky cordless weedy-looking jobbies. The one I got is solidly built with a metal body and plugs straight into the mains. Now I have no excuses to not to regularly dust out my desktop machine, which will save me more money than just no longer needing to buy cans of air; the life of my hardware will also be prolonged.

Back
Top Bottom