Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Sometimes if I hit a wrong key combination, don't know what, the screen splits with Urban on one side and what looks like the code for Urban on the other side, anyone shed some light?

Sounds like developers tools. Have a Google for the browser you use for its short cut.

Edit. Managed to miss the responses!

So shit then :D

I’m sure HR and management love it but I want nothing to do with it. LinkedIn style wank

Talking of corporate wank (maybe this would sit better in the things that have vexed you thread?)

The large organisation for which I work has some sort of Facebook / social media thing called Workplace.
They have set it up as the default page that opens when you start Edge (not Home page) and I can't remove it as I have insufficient rights

Starting every day to see someone has put up another "nice quote for a nice day" makes me want to go postal

The other day my colleague wasn't able to help me do something because he was helping someone else. Not a problem,

"What are you doing?"
"Writing a guide, for Ade"
Ade works doing the same job as us in London.
"Oh why's that?"
"Because he asked me to do a quick guide on how to log into the printers"

My jaw hit the floor. Ade is not busy, he has the exact same model of printers in London as we have in Bristol and the guide he "needs" is literally this :

1/ Tap security card on tap point on printer.
2/ Click print
3/ If user has never printed before, it will display a username and password box. Guess what you do next,

As far as I'm aware no-one has ever had a problem with this, no user has actually requested it. I don't know why Ade needs this guide, nor why he couldn't do it himself. Or why Dan didn't just tell him to do one.

And they wonder why they are busy.

FFS.

My Virgin broadband has been sub 100Mbps since 23/01. Which is fast enough really, but I'm paying for 800.

It's occurred to me today that if they don't fix it in 8 days then it gives me grounds to leave the contract. So part of me is hoping that they don't so I can finally give them the finger and move to Zen now full fibre is available in my area.

My Virgin broadband has been sub 100Mbps since 23/01. Which is fast enough really, but I'm paying for 800.

It's occurred to me today that if they don't fix it in 8 days then it gives me grounds to leave the contract. So part of me is hoping that they don't so I can finally give them the finger and move to Zen now full fibre is available in my area.
surely their system records will tell them for how long you have been getting a sub par service so if they fix it before you can leave maybe hit the compensation for poor service bell

Any of you Hyper-V experts? I have a really odd thing happening on my server running Hyper-V, All the VMs can communicate on the LAN (and can get to the internet) but the server itself can't. Any idea where I should be looking? I know nothing about Hyper V.

Any of you Hyper-V experts? I have a really odd thing happening on my server running Hyper-V, All the VMs can communicate on the LAN (and can get to the internet) but the server itself can't. Any idea where I should be looking? I know nothing about Hyper V.

Sounds like hyper-v has taken over the server NIC and routing all traffic via it. Forcing out the server connection

Definitely a want rather than a need with this one: Lenovo ThinkPad T480 i5-8250U - 8GB / 256GB SSD Touchscreen Laptop - Refurbished v/good with code sold by newandusedlaptops4u UK Mainland | hotukdeals

Planning on this to replace my aged i3 based tower. Don't care about the screen as I would use it lid closed with an external monitor. I would then try and network the old computer so I can access the music that is housed on it.

Any pitfalls with this plan?
(coupon knocks it down to £150)

I assume you want to have a laptop from time to time as if you didn't you could a more powerful ex-corporate machine for similar money?

Running an extra PC just for the hard drive isn't the most power efficient way to do it, but you also gain a fair bit of utility from it if you want to access it from other devices across the network and could use it for things like a torrent box. Not sure how big your music collection is, but if you just want to store some MP3s you can add a second SSD to that laptop.

Reactions: MBV
I assume you want to have a laptop from time to time as if you didn't you could a more powerful ex-corporate machine for similar money?

Running an extra PC just for the hard drive isn't the most power efficient way to do it, but you also gain a fair bit of utility from it if you want to access it from other devices across the network and could use it for things like a torrent box. Not sure how big your music collection is, but if you just want to store some MP3s you can add a second SSD to that laptop.

Can you suggest an ex corporate machine around that price point?

Not fussed about having a laptop, I just like the price point of this. Music (MP3 and FLAC) is approaching 1TB.

I use current PC for torrenting too.

Can you suggest an ex corporate machine around that price point?

Not fussed about having a laptop, I just like the price point of this. Music (MP3 and FLAC) is approaching 1TB.

I use current PC for torrenting too.

Dell, Lenovo or HP really. Anything 8th Gen or above so you can Windows 11. All the i5 desktops you see will have hex core CPUs, whereas that laptop had a quad.

This is interesting for £100. It doesn't mention having a NVMe, but I'd very surprised if it didn't have one as I don't think Dell shipped them without them. Maybe check with the seller? Plus it's got a 2TB drive. If it doesn't have a NVMe that would be less the £30.

Or if you don't want the faff and wanted something smaller. It would be a laptop CPU, so no hyperthreading, but still have 6 cores and 16GB.

But there's loads out there under £150.

Had a job interview today, pretty tough, found myself way more nervous then I was expecting, more then I was for my current role. Think I relaxed a bit towards the end, but they opened with asking about my experience with Virtualisation, which is fine, but I'd have done a lot better with some warm up questions. Also got asked port numbers, got a fair few, but loads I didn't know and could have easily remembered with 10 mins with my flashcards. Odd question though. And lots of stuff it really would have helped to have worked in healthcare longer. I've got a practical exam next week and I've really no idea what they're going to ask me to.

Seems a really odd position, they seemed to want an on prem background, but after the training period where you take the certs, it will be the cyber security lead. It's not something I'd actually given much thought to, but if they pay for the training I guess I'm game? :confused:

Last edited:
Also got asked port numbers, got a fair few
I hate that, for a position of any sort of seniority. Like remembering port numbers is the most effective use of my limited head storage space. See also anything else you can google in under 5 seconds. I want to know how you approach problems. Give examples. Maybe I'll give you a flawed architectural diagram and ask you what's wrong with it.

Port numbers and "What's the command for..." is entry level shit. My questions will still weed out pretenders without insulting your intelligence.

I hate that, for a position of any sort of seniority. Like remembering port numbers is the most effective use of my limited head storage space. See also anything else you can google in under 5 seconds. I want to know how you approach problems. Give examples. Maybe I'll give you a flawed architectural diagram and ask you what's wrong with it.

Port numbers and "What's the command for..." is entry level shit. My questions will still weed out pretenders without insulting your intelligence.

I always bounced off the "make your own subnet" modules for network courses for the same reason. I understand the concept but I can spend 5 seconds googling it to split up how many subnets I want.

A couple of basic questions can however be quite good to vet people. I did quite well at one interview cos noone else could describe DNS or DHCP properly and they were literally contractors angling to go perm for the same position and in an infra role for a few years.

I mean there was troubleshooting stuff as well as what do if you had poor performance and on VM and network troubleshooting. Then all the bullshit HR ones. It's an odd one and why I'm quite stressed about it, as roles like this just don't come up. Moving to my current role shows me I'm at the top end of desktop support (well compared to my colleagues). I mean there's plenty I don't know, which people who've done it years will just know, but that's just stuff that comes with being in the role longer, rather then actual technical knowledge. But I also don't feel I've quite got the skills to apply for proper sys admin/infrastructure engineer jobs either, but I'm not going to get that doing desktop support and I'd rather not move back to MSP land to get them, if I can help it.

I did get the CTO to concede that he couldn't remember them either, so I must have got some of my confidence back.

a friend of mine was on a job interview and they asked him as the first question after pretty much zero small talk - 'if you were a colour, what colour would you be?'

That's a question designed to see if someone will waste their time on nonsense.

The correct answer is "That's a ridiculous question."

:cool:

What happens if you overload a USB port?

I have a wee computer in the bedroom attached to a portable monitor. The monitor came with its own power supply, which I've always used. Last night the power cable got pulled out, but the movie continued to play. Would a USB C port support a monitor, it is a 16" GEEKOM monitor.

Could I fry the port by running the monitor without the external power supply?

USB-C is supposed to negotiate what it is and isn't capable of. So the theory says that if it works it's fine.

But loads of ports and cables are shoddy crap, and you really shouldn't rely on anything that's not specifically in the documentation.

What happens if you overload a USB port?

I have a wee computer in the bedroom attached to a portable monitor. The monitor came with its own power supply, which I've always used. Last night the power cable got pulled out, but the movie continued to play. Would a USB C port support a monitor, it is a 16" GEEKOM monitor.

Could I fry the port by running the monitor without the external power supply?

USB-C is supposed to negotiate what it is and isn't capable of. So the theory says that if it works it's fine.

But loads of ports and cables are shoddy crap, and you really shouldn't rely on anything that's not specifically in the documentation.

A USB C 24-pin cable can relay up to 100 watts of power and up to 10gb/s data.

Depends on the monitor of course. What Chz says about not relying on stuff not specified in the manual is the way to go.

I suppose that yes you could fry summat if you're drawing too much power or feeding to much into the monitor or the cable is cheap/crap/faulty/old/broken etc.

I'm not sure if I posted about my discovery of ' Windows key , Shift and S' ?

It's Changed my life, instant snipping area.

Apologies if I have posted it before.

It's rather handy, I'm amazed you haven't found it before, I think about how often I use it for work. But then I bet there's loads of really obvious stuff that I'd find handy that I don't know about. I've only recently found out about is clipboard history with windows V, I've just got to remind myself to use it. Windows + Pause is a great one to get to settings, except the laptops I've spending loads of time on don't have it.

Last edited:
A USB C 24-pin cable can relay up to 100 watts of power and up to 10gb/s data.

Depends on the monitor of course. What Chz says about not relying on stuff not specified in the manual is the way to go.

I suppose that yes you could fry summat if you're drawing too much power or feeding to much into the monitor or the cable is cheap/crap/faulty/old/broken etc.

100W through a cheap power supplies from Amazon. What could go wrong?

Although my cheap 45w and 65w ones haven't started any fires or killed any kit. Yet :oops:

Back
Top Bottom