Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely tech post thread.

Does that cover Linux repositories, too?

"millions of forks with names identical to the original one that add a payload that’s wrapped under seven layers of obfuscation" sounds somewhat iffy :eek:

I would be much happier rolling out actually quite potentially damaging scripts if I a) ever got testing feedback from checks notes the IT department I work in consisting of 4 people and b) thought my boss actually understood me when I tried to explain technical work to him or thought he listened to me 3) these requests weren't based on a single incident.

Todays random request is based on 2 entire people having issues, clear the teams cache for all users all the time automatically.

Proper WTF moment today at working for a large organisation. We've done a number of File Server to SharePoint migrations, but for the current place I'm working, different parts of the organisation are responsible for different parts of their IT. Because one section doesn't want to pay the other, we've got to go round 60 to 70 users and manually add a site collection administrator to each users one drive so it can all be synced before the migration proper. I actually thought I'd misunderstood and asked for clarification several times before the sheer stupidity of it actually hit me.

Proper WTF moment today at working for a large organisation. We've done a number of File Server to SharePoint migrations, but for the current place I'm working, different parts of the organisation are responsible for different parts of their IT. Because one section doesn't want to pay the other, we've got to go round 60 to 70 users and manually add a site collection administrator to each users one drive so it can all be synced before the migration proper. I actually thought I'd misunderstood and asked for clarification several times before the sheer stupidity of it actually hit me.
I've spent the past 4 years telling people to stop using the shared NAS and use SharePoint or OneDrive. "It's not backed up, it's end of life."
We're finally getting to the decom process and you can probably guess how many departments are still using the departmental drives instead of SharePoint.
(I don't give a fuck about their home drives - they should never have had important data in them in the first place, so they die first)

I've spent the past 4 years telling people to stop using the shared NAS and use SharePoint or OneDrive. "It's not backed up, it's end of life."
We're finally getting to the decom process and you can probably guess how many departments are still using the departmental drives instead of SharePoint.
(I don't give a fuck about their home drives - they should never have had important data in them in the first place, so they die first)
Archive it, then take it down. And design a (paper) form for "File Recovery Requests", for individual files, with a 2 week window for completing the task. :D

That sounds a nightmare to manage. Both at the MSP and here they come in one morning to find the shared drive read only and all the data moved to SharePoint.

Edit. Also Home folders moved to One Drive.

Trying to move a really simple script from azuread to graph and I cannot fucking stand it.

Found a decent summary of the problems with it online with an admin arguing with an ms dev “you are expecting all admins to be developers and understand web scripting where the system previously just let you run a command and execute a function. Powershell doesn’t function like a full scripting language”

I’m currently doing an invoke API command rather than PS as there’s just so much disjointed or missing functionality in the graph powershell language it was easier to call the web result. And there’s still missing bits in the web functionality so im going to have to append a powershell bit to it

Trying to move a really simple script from azuread to graph and I cannot fucking stand it.

Found a decent summary of the problems with it online with an admin arguing with an ms dev “you are expecting all admins to be developers and understand web scripting where the system previously just let you run a command and execute a function. Powershell doesn’t function like a full scripting language”

I’m currently doing an invoke API command rather than PS as there’s just so much disjointed or missing functionality in the graph powershell language it was easier to call the web result. And there’s still missing bits in the web functionality so im going to have to append a powershell bit to it

I've just started reading the material to AZ 104. This all sounds grim.

Like 3 different ways of scripting in two different languages?

At least give people fair warning, FFS.
They were told this four years ago and at six month intervals since. The problem of migrating departmental shares to SP keeps putting it off, but we need to turn off the whole home drive thing because there's some ancient tech in there that was EOL when we started this mess. (and I only started four years ago!) At the very least I need to take away the web interface to both of them, because it's Debian 9 with dead PHP and dead software (pydio) where the latest version doesn't even support what we're doing with it. The forum moderators were stunned that anyone tried what my predecessors had done. "I mean, that could work..." :D

As an aside from that, it's surprisingly non-trivial to offer up a CIFS/NFS share to a web portal for up/download after authentication. You'd have thought there'd be a plug and play solution for such a thing. This thing auths them, uses that auth to mount their home/departmental drive locally and then serve that up via PHP to the users. And the complexity under it is insane. I'd looked into replacing it with something 2020s and came to the conclusion that we needed several £k worth of PS from some externals to get it running. Which got me a "No, fuck off, the NAS itself is EOL soon".

And people keep saying that administering Unix systems is hard! :D

The problem with Unix sysadminning is that there is no "man behind the curtain". The problem, it seems, with Windows admin, is that you can never be quite sure that the man behind the curtain has understood what you're asking, or is even listening.

And people keep saying that administering Unix systems is hard! :D

The problem with Unix sysadminning is that there is no "man behind the curtain". The problem, it seems, with Windows admin, is that you can never be quite sure that the man behind the curtain has understood what you're asking, or is even listening.

“We’re moving the cli to powershell a simple scripting language”

“Oh we’re moving you into the cloud here’s a new module”

“Oh now we have a new way to interface with the cloud do you know Java and web dev? APIs are the future old man”

Is there any way on a Chromebook to get from the bottom of a page back to the top without reverse scrolling all the way?

A key combination or something?

on google chrome try home key?
for Google searches , tap the / button to go back to the search bar
for a spreadsheet i think its ctrl + up (or ctrl page-up)
it really depends on what you have open on the screen at the time...

Is there any way on a Chromebook to get from the bottom of a page back to the top without reverse scrolling all the way?

A key combination or something?

Page & web browser
Page upAlt + Up arrow
vY8U7SK-lhRhXpL8NVvDy2TBaHrE7K_P-QRHGhiccuGyDxcyOs7B1qhHyvGmtXpCYSE=w36-h36
Page downAlt + Down arrow
7EhG7krv2C1nU6tiqQnjdFouqN8DSI1yexxW_-nJx2yDDGamUrXSqZLvqLMEVnu7dWw=w36-h36
Scroll down the web pageSpace bar
Go to top of pageCtrl + Alt + Up arrow
Go to bottom of pageCtrl + Alt + Down arrow

Page & web browser
Page upAlt + Up arrow
Page downAlt + Down arrow
Scroll down the web pageSpace bar
Go to top of pageCtrl + Alt + Up arrow
Go to bottom of pageCtrl + Alt + Down arrow
Thank you.

It did, thank you. I use a wee acer Chromebook to peruse the net in bed of a morning, I've had this invaluable advice for a couple of hours. The device? Oh, about ten years or so... :)

I'd suggest using a phone like a normal person, but I've been using a laptop loads this week for stuff I'd normally do on a phone. I'm staying in Drum Castle in a National Trust cottage and the walls are about 3 foot thick stone and reception is limited. I didn't think I'd get anything at all, but I've found if the phone is proped by the correct window, I can hotspot it to my laptop.

I'm actually quite liking it. I'm far to lazy to do this at home, but it's changed how I interact with some stuff, far less compulsive checking.

I'd suggest using a phone like a normal person, but I've been using a laptop loads this week for stuff I'd normally do on a phone. I'm staying in Drum Castle in a National Trust cottage and the walls are about 3 foot thick stone and reception is limited. I didn't think I'd get anything at all, but I've found if the phone is proped by the correct window, I can hotspot it to my laptop.

I'm actually quite liking it. I'm far to lazy to do this at home, but it's changed how I interact with some stuff, far less compulsive checking.
Laptop on the bed is actually the top tier method. Just need to work a bit harder on setting up the pillows. :cool:

My phone claims that moisture has been detected in the charging point, and it refuses to charge, although it has been no nearer anything wet than it has ever been. Googling brings up this page on the model I have, showing that there are thirty zillion possible reasons for this, with an equal number of possible remedies. None of the ones I've tried have worked so far. And of course I haven't got a wireless charging thingy.

My phone claims that moisture has been detected in the charging point, and it refuses to charge, although it has been no nearer anything wet than it has ever been. Googling brings up this page on the model I have, showing that there are thirty zillion possible reasons for this, with an equal number of possible remedies. None of the ones I've tried have worked so far. And of course I haven't got a wireless charging thingy.

Bane of my life with my fucking Samsung. All the way back when I had an S8. I think they must the most stupid over sensitive ports every, and it sounds like they haven't changed. I never found a solution other than wait.

Back
Top Bottom