Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Life and Death of Marilyn Monroe

rikwakefield

Born to be Mild
Just thought I'd share this really well put together youtube vid of Marilyn Monroe.

She is and always will be the most beautiful woman to have graced planet Earth.

Such a beautifully tragic story too :(

I was always a fan as well. Still got a couple of posters and books

I have the most wonderful framed poster greeting me as I enter my flat. It's probably my favourite wall piece.

This is it:
nl7deg.jpg

A better quality shot of the photo:
9a79c9.png

I've read her biography. It was pretty fucking dull, tbf.

Which one, there are hundreds ? I read the one by Norman Mailer. It was mostly about how much he wanted to fuck here despite him thinking that she was a skank, or something along those lines.

I have the most wonderful framed poster greeting me as I enter my flat. It's probably my favourite wall piece.

This is it:

A better quality shot of the photo:
9a79c9.png

I don't believe it, that's one of my favourite pictures of her. You obviously have good taste ;)

Not sure about the video. Nice, but I don't think the autopsy pictures were really necessary.

Marilyn - the ultimate icon, irresistable; a character played by Norma Jean and invented by her with the help of the Hollywood. No victim she; nor yet dumb blonde. A knowing, intelligent actress.

Yes I am a fan.

worst joke ever, I know. :p

I didn't like the little I watched of that youtube video. Being reduced to a series of pretty woman shots only perpetuates the bimbo myth. She deserves better! A voice-over putting those picture in context would have been a start.

worst joke ever, I know. :p

I didn't like the little I watched of that youtube video. Being reduced to a series of pretty woman shots only perpetuates the bimbo myth. She deserves better! A voice-over putting those picture in context would have been a start.

Well they weren't just pretty woman shots of her autopsy and she's not looking particularly glamorous after her miscarriage :(

I agree with whoever said the music was awful :D

I enjoy a lot of Monroes films and of course she was charismatic and beautiful, but I always felt ambivalent about her as an actress and icon. It seems that on screen she could really do only one thing and all her roles are variations on the same character. There are reports that she showed range in productions of classic plays at the Actors Studio, but there is little evidence on screen that she ever transcended what was mostly (and now dated) caricature of female sexuality. When cast in the right part she was funny and mesmerising (Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Some Like it Hot), but at other times her limitations became all too apparent and then she become slightly embarrassing to watch.

Her iconic status has a lot to do with her messy life and death and I feel never feel comfortable with this sort of masochistic identification with victimisation (however much that may be mythologised) and all the lonely-at-the-top victim-or-fame cliches.

Back
Top Bottom