Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Death in Paradise... problematic?

What's fascinating is that it has been beating all the big budget stuff the BBC commissions for many years now. And not just in the UK, it's sold to many many countries. And very cheap to produce.

I have to admit. I do watch it. It's comfort food when there's nothing else on.

Based on the most recent episode it looks like the white male detective might be replaced by a mixed race female detective anyway

Based on the most recent episode it looks like the white male detective might be replaced by a mixed race female detective anyway

Awaits:

"They've made her a mixed race female but she's socially inept, a bit ridiculous, and only good at solving murders :mad:"

:D :facepalm:

raises hand
It loses its magic once the weather outside gets nice. Aside from Don Warrington, I don't think any of the other actors matter at all. The sodding lizard is more popular than the inspector...
Harry is CGI.

LOL at criticising Death in Paradise for not being very realistic. :D

It's shit as far as it's coverage of the World Rally Championship goes as well.
It's not to do with not being very realistic, and everything with being really, really shitty writing with plot holes a budding 7-year-old scriptwriter would be embarrassed by.

There is no poll option for those of us who have never heard of this programme before and will almost definitely never watch it.

It's not to do with not being very realistic, and everything with being really, really shitty writing with plot holes a budding 7-year-old scriptwriter would be embarrassed by.

That's what makes it so gripping. I mean its fucking terrible. There is sooo much wrong with it. But I can watch this and then watch Succession or something afterwards to assuage my guilt. :D

This misses the point of it and, with respect, shows an elitism that's common among tv and film reviewers ("If I don't like it, it's shit/lowbrow/badly written/full of holes, etc). It's written specifically to appeal to certain types of viewers who want it like that. You just aren't in that demographic. It's actually very difficult to write like that consistently.

Read that Guardian piece that Petcha linked in post #58. It's good.

it feels like a never-ending retirement party for washed up C list actors.
Apparently the high turn over of leading actors is due to the very high temperatures the actors have to endure when filming.
It seems like a nice little jolly when the offer arrives back in a dreary UK but once out there 12 hours filming in the summer heat is actually quite gruelling.
This is why most haven't lasted more than a season or two.

Also manages to make Peter Hook not seem like the drug-addled arrogant prick he is in 24hr party people.
From my experience, Peter Hook did come across as a bit of a prick in the late 70s. These days though, he's supposed to be a bit nicer. I say that as he's an acquaintance of my brother and he's usually a decent judge of people.

Apparently the high turn over of leading actors is due to the very high temperatures the actors have to endure when filming.
It seems like a nice little jolly when the offer arrives back in a dreary UK but once out there 12 hours filming in the summer heat is actually quite gruelling.
But Little has, allegedly, bought a house out there because he loves it. It implies he might be going to stay even though his character has said he's leaving.

The return of his love interest at the very end of the penultimate episode of this season might change his mind.

It's interesting that Dwayne has returned, JP made an appearance, and Florence has also returned. Even Camille has popped in briefly. Is this suggesting the program is close to the end?

But Florence is only a DS, so is she going to be promoted? There's been rumours of her taking over for a while now.

But Little has, allegedly, bought a house out there because he loves it. It implies he might be going to stay even though his character has said he's leaving.

The return of his love interest at the very end of the penultimate episode of this season might change his mind.

It's interesting that Dwayne has returned, JP made an appearance, and Florence has also returned. Even Camille has popped in briefly. Is this suggesting the program is close to the end?
The insidious creep of gentrification. :hmm:
Bloody emigrants going over there and taking their houses.

From my experience, Peter Hook did come across as a bit of a prick in the late 70s. These days though, he's supposed to be a bit nicer. I say that as he's an acquaintance of my brother and he's usually a decent judge of people.
I heard some bad stories about him and Caroline Aherne that were a bit dark. Also comes across as a dick in a couple of books I read by him. The one about the hacienda (how not to run a club) in particular. I always got the impression he would have ended every chapter with "needless to say, we had the last laugh" if his editor had let him.

I wonder if Death In Paradise has ever had a Black British (or Black French) actor playing the incoming Inspector
No, it hasn't. But tbh the 'British inspector sorts out little island's problems' aspect of it wouldn't change just because that inspector happened to be black.

It is, of course, absurd on a great many levels, but the original premise of a British officer being called in to help sort out a serious case isn't actually absurd. And it provides the opportunity to make that officer a fish out of water figure in an obvious culture clash. But it's a popular show, so he stays and sorts out murder after murder after murder. And as spymaster said, it follows a very rigid formula. No doubt its creators think that formula is key to its success, and they're probably right.

The new series will be tackling the breakdown of social order in Haiti but with a lighthearted twist.

The protagonist will be a psychopathic warlord, but she’s an ex librarian who lives on a narrow boat with her three cats and had a difficult relationship with her troubled daughter….

There are more murders on St Marie per capita than Brixton. Which is part of the hilarity of it. I can see why they might want to 'woke' it though. Wonder how that'll affect its astonishing ratings.

Most of the actors don’t last more than an episode.

The modus operandi are quite amusing. They're so tortuous and contrived. It would be far more sensible to just stab the victim in the heart and run away. Less likely to be found out, too.

Back
Top Bottom