Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Death of Stalin

im_alan_partride_david_schneider_dinner_scene.jpg

Is David Schneider that tosspot who calls himself a 'social media expert' and does Guardian-sponsored seminars on how to use twitter?

He did the Armistice with Iannucci and Peter Baynham, played various characters on The Day Today, and is probably best known for playing the late Tony Hayers in Knowing Me Knowing You and I'm Alan Partridge, cruelly rejecting Arm Wrestling with Chas'n'Dave and Monkey Tennis.

He did the Armistice with Iannucci and Peter Baynham, played various characters on The Day Today, and is probably best known for playing the late Tony Hayers in Knowing Me Knowing You and I'm Alan Partridge, cruelly rejecting Arm Wrestling with Chas'n'Dave and Monkey Tennis.
He also failed to stop a helicopter going into the Channel Tunnel, and failed to prevent the release of the deadly Rage virus from a secure laboratory.

I enjoyed it. Funny and great performances. Beale was an appropriately horrific Beria. Although all of them were evil bastards of course.

It is actually true that no one dared approach Stalin for hours and hours after he collapsed because they were terrified of getting killed if it turned out he wasn't dead. Or even if he was.

Interestingly, the film was all too close to the bone for my mum who grew up in Communist Czechoslovakia in the aftermath of those events (indeed she remembers being told to be sad at v nursery because lovely Uncle Stalin had died) so she was too disturbed by it all to find it funny, though she acknowledged it was good satire.

Saw this last night. The acting was good -- excellent cast -- but I thought the script wasn't.

It's a difficult one -- how to convey the horror of the times while also being funny. I don't think it managed either really.

(Read some reviews earlier and I suspect I'm in the minority on this one though.)

I heard Ianucci saying they had to remove some details of one incident cos it sounded too ludicrous to be true

Yeah the bit at the beginning was changed. It was actually 3 conductors in reality they got through before they managed to do a recording :eek: The second one they found was aparrently too pissed.

I really enjoyed it. Great ensemble cast, but Simon Russell Beale and Jason Isaacs were especially great.

It's a difficult one -- how to convey the horror of the times while also being funny. I don't think it managed either really.
I agree with this - I did enjoy it, but you've got to balance it just right to successfully pull off rape & slaughter jokes: I don't think they quite did it.

)
Saw it and thought it was unmemorable, but that it did manage that bit quite well. Suppose that once you've gone for satire and comedy though, that means the reality of the horror is inevitably played down.

Its pretty good satire. How accurate is it?

Fairly, though the ending isn't (Beria wasn't subject to an immediate sham trial and then shot and burnt, he was actually interrogated for months and then had his sham trial and shot).

As for the film, I liked it a lot though some of the jokey rapey Beria scenes were a bit jarring.

didn't even crack a millimeter of a smile during the trailer. looks totally bad and not very funny. :(

I'm gunna pass. thanks.

It’s no historical blow by blow rendition by any means but I enjoyed it immensely.A Brian Glover like Zukhov arriving halfway through to punch heads was a delight. Will not please the historians but fuck it.

Just saw this. Disappointing given the director. It didn't get beyond mildly amusing for me. Nothing to do with the subject matter but with the rather conventional - perhaps too old-fashioned and British - comedy approach. Like a forgettable BBC "humorous" drama.

It didn't really work as a historical drama, a satire or an outright comedy but I enojyed it anyway. There were some jarring shifts in tone where a comedic scene cuts to a montage of people being dragged out of their homes and shot or vice versa and the cast was mismatched, with some playing straight and others chewing the scenery. An interesting failure.

Don’t think I’d call it a failure myself. Though many on this thread will know the subject matter a lot better than me.

I enjoyed it, but got a bit lost by some of the Machiavellian manoeuvres.

A bag of shite.

More reasons, more reasons, more reasons lol. You properly absurd little man - Remember when I took the piss outta you for, essentially, going on like you're the only one who didn't come from a well off background? And all you had to come back with was that I musta come from some kinda well off background? Coz I said sumat about "brew time" at work - Which just was the term for any break that wasn't dinner. But, anyway, you're an impotent little no-one, wanking over the russians - Me and you?

Let me guess, private school, was an 'anarchist' for a bit. There's been so many over the years.

On the OP, it doesn't really work as a satire. If there's comedy to be found in Stalinism (and there is) then they could've tried to understand what it was first.

Back
Top Bottom