Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The legacy of Marxism Today

Divisive Cotton

Now I just have my toy soldiers
There is a long article entitled Marxism Today: the forgotten visionaries whose ideas could save Labour written by John Harris

Harris, being such a political lightweight, is the last journalist you would want to investigate the theoretical legacy of Marxism Today

I know that in the past contributors here, particularly Butchers, have been scathing of the whole project, but have delivered a criticism from outside the old Party reformist/traditionalist nexuses

But two genuine questions: What did they get right? && What did they get wrong?

Haven't got time to read the piece at the moment, but Marxism Today was important, in identifying trends in the world economy and highlighting ways in which old style Labourism wasn't cutting it. Trouble is, it reached the wrong conclusions and was one of the players in the birth of new Labour (indirectly). Seems a bit harsh to pin the sins of Blairism on the likes of Hall, Hobsbawm, Jacques etc, , but they certainly added to the idea that everything was up for 'reassessment'. New Times and all that.

Haven't got time to read the piece at the moment, but Marxism Today was important, in identifying trends in the world economy and highlighting ways in which old style Labourism wasn't cutting it. Trouble is, it reached the wrong conclusions and was one of the players in the birth of new Labour (indirectly). Seems a bit harsh to pin the sins of Blairism on the likes of Hall, Hobsbawm, Jacques etc, , but they certainly added to the idea that everything was up for 'reassessment'. New Times and all that.

I wouldn't put Jacques in the same frame as Hall and Hobsbawm. I can't see what there is to respect in the work of Jacques; the same isn't true of Hall or Hobsbawm.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

I wouldn't put Jacques in the same frame as Hall and Hobsbawm. I can't see what there is to respect in the work of Jacques; the same isn't true of Hall or Hobsbawm.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
No, indeed. I included him as Editor of the journal. Not sure if this is correct, but I always assumed he did a lot of the networking that brought MT thinkers into contact with the various 'soft left' figures such as Robin Cook.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice.

I seem to recall the Swappies coming over all self-righteous when Jacques married, on account of colonialist imperialism. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom