Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Kiss Your Arse Goodbye Thread

You know that I was using the names of the countries as shorthand for the elites though, as they are the ones that really count.

It isn't impossible that the present bloodbath will bring an end to the present governing circles in Russia eventually, but the justifications they are using for it are not confined to their thinking. They run deep, and are centuries old. Remember that it was Yeltsin, and what was probably the most western-friendly regime in Russian history, that launched the first Chechen war. His government wasn't too keen on the idea of NATO expansion eastwards either.

Ah, the centuries old thinking cliché. I've never met any Russians deeply imbued with centuries old feelings about Ukraine. They don't care that much about such abstractions, anymore than I from my English perspective care much about the "Union".

Ah, the centuries old thinking cliché. I've never met any Russians deeply imbued with centuries old feelings about Ukraine. They don't care that much about such abstractions, anymore than I from my English perspective care much about the "Union".
It isn't just a cliche when you consider Russian elites' thinking on the issue over the centuries, no matter what they purported to stand for.

And the thinking/ wishes of the people don't usually count for much in Russia. Periods of liberalisation have never lasted long, and, when examined more closely, even these have not been exactly what they were assumed to be by casual outside observers. There is no reason to assume that this pattern will change.

i'd be much happier if the great helmsman were at the wheel than the nefandous xi. after all, the dead can't go round ordering the incarceration of millions
It's the nefarious Lama, I worry about not his Helmsman or his Second XI. Squirreled away in his Darhamsala cave ordering the reincarnation of thousands of the worst.

bundesarchiv_bild_135-ka-10-072_tibetexpedition_empfang_fucc88r_wucc88rdentracc88ger (1).jpg

squirreled away in his durham cellar you say?

Yes beneath that college where Rod Liddle got booed. And Cummings wasn't up there getting his eyes tested, he was taking instructions.

When he's not there, he's in Durham North Carolina egging on his Klu Klux Karma Klan

images (16).jpeg

Don't know where else this could go when not allowed to post the main thread.

The Biden administration’s plan to sell four large, armable drones to Ukraine has been paused on the fear its sophisticated surveillance equipment might fall into enemy hands, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Reuters reports:

The technical objection to the sale was raised during a deeper review by the Pentagon’s Defense Technology Security Administration charged with keeping high value technology safe from enemy hands. Previously the plan, which has been circulating since March, had been approved by the White House, three people said.

The objection to the export of the drones arose due to concerns the radar and surveillance equipment on the drones could create a security risk for the United States if it fell into Russian hands.

The sources said this consideration had been overlooked in the initial review but came up in meetings at the Pentagon late last week.

“Technology security reviews are a standard practice for the transfer of U.S. defense articles to all international partners. All cases are reviewed individually on their own merit. Through the established process, national security concerns are elevated to the appropriate approving authority,” said Pentagon spokesperson Sue Gough.
The decision on whether or not to continue with the deal is now being reviewed higher up the chain of command at the Pentagon, but the timing of any decision is uncertain, one of the people a U.S. official said on condition of anonymity.

One solution to move the sale forward would be to swap out the existing radar and sensor package for something less sophisticated, but that could take months to complete, one of the sources.

If the case to sell the drones is allowed to progress, Congress would be given a chance to block it, though that was seen as unlikely.

The four General Atomics-made Gray Eagle drones were originally slated to go to the U.S. Army, people familiar with the process said.
According to Army budget documents, the Gray Eagles cost $10 million each.

The Biden administration’s plan to sell four large, armable drones to Ukraine has been paused on the fear its sophisticated surveillance equipment might fall into enemy hands, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Reuters reports:

The technical objection to the sale was raised during a deeper review by the Pentagon’s Defense Technology Security Administration charged with keeping high value technology safe from enemy hands. Previously the plan, which has been circulating since March, had been approved by the White House, three people said.

The objection to the export of the drones arose due to concerns the radar and surveillance equipment on the drones could create a security risk for the United States if it fell into Russian hands.

The sources said this consideration had been overlooked in the initial review but came up in meetings at the Pentagon late last week.

The decision on whether or not to continue with the deal is now being reviewed higher up the chain of command at the Pentagon, but the timing of any decision is uncertain, one of the people a U.S. official said on condition of anonymity.

One solution to move the sale forward would be to swap out the existing radar and sensor package for something less sophisticated, but that could take months to complete, one of the sources.

If the case to sell the drones is allowed to progress, Congress would be given a chance to block it, though that was seen as unlikely.

The four General Atomics-made Gray Eagle drones were originally slated to go to the U.S. Army, people familiar with the process said.
And what do you think about this, RD2003?

And what do you think about this, RD2003?
I think it's what's being reported in the Guardian.

As I said, I would have put it in the main thread, purely for information as with much else on there, if I was able to post on that thread.

I think it's what's being reported in the Guardian.

As I said, I would have put it in the main thread, purely for information as with much else on there, if I was able to post on that thread.
What do you think of its content? Why copy and paste stuff without giving your opinion? I genuinely don't get it.

What do you think of its content? Why copy and paste stuff without giving your opinion? I genuinely don't get it.
Again as I said, many posts on the main thread, and other threads, are also simply links for information. Maybe with superfluous comment on many an occasion.. But, in the context of our powerlessness to affect anything with regard to this war, comment is usually just that: superfluous.

An accompanying rant may help the individual concerned, I do concede, and also possibly some of those who read the post. But it's meaningless.

Again as I said, many posts on the main thread, and other threads, are also simply links for information. Maybe with superfluous comment on many an occasion.. But, in the context of our powerlessness to affect anything with regard to this war, comment is usually just that: superfluous.

An accompanying rant may help the individual concerned, I do concede, and also possibly some of those who read the post. But it's meaningless.

The convention is to select quote, and make some comment, otherwise threads are unreadable. If you think it's so pointless, don't bother at all.

Reuters reports:

Should just give the weapons to Ukraine for free

What's your solution?
Josephine! I did say.

There is no solution, least of all one supplied by you or me. or anybody else on here.

Maybe you're writing to Putin and Zelensky right now? Unfortunately, it won't reach them.

Josephine! I did say.

There is no solution, least of all one supplied by you or me. or anybody else on here.

Would you mind behaving yourself then? Or, preferably fucking off? People might want to keep up to date without you shitting everywhere and brushing off the negative feedback.

Would you mind behaving yourself then? Or, preferably fucking off? People might want to keep up to date without you shitting everywhere and brushing off the negative feedback.
All this just because I posted up a link from the Guardian. for information. I don't write the news.

You disagree? They should continue the long held tradition of making money out of conflict?
What are you talking about? The link wasn't to an article about the cost, but about the wisdom of supplying these particular weapons.

'The objection to the export of the drones arose due to concerns the radar and surveillance equipment on the drones could create a security risk for the United States if it fell into Russian hands.'

What are you talking about? The link wasn't to an article about the cost, but about the wisdom of supplying these particular weapons.

'The objection to the export of the drones arose due to concerns the radar and surveillance equipment on the drones could create a security risk for the United States if it fell into Russian hands.'

Why are you speaking?

That's a concern in most conflicts, though. Nothing new, there. Supply and demand, weapons needed, weapons sold/shipped in by "honest" means or otherwise. Weapons falling into the wrong or right hands, depending on viewpoint.

Let's say the weapons aren't sold/given because of these concerns. How are invaded countries supposed to defend themselves, without the means to?

Back
Top Bottom