Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Kiss Your Arse Goodbye Thread

RD2003

Got a really fucking shitty attitude
So Ukraine gets its way with the No Fly Zone. Russian and NATO forces clash. We're all shitting ourselves as to what will happen next...

What would you do in the shadow of the nuclear holocaust other than think about how unlikely this was (1962 excepted) in the good old days of Cold War stability?

Last edited:
I can't help thinking that a 'contest' between a bunch of geriatrics who hardly believed anything they routinely spouted (possibly Khruschev but certainly Brezhnev and his successors up until 'Gorby') and some hard-headed pragmatic bastards (Kissinger, Nixon, but, reading between the lines, also, in reality, their immediate successors), made for a safer world.

It was when neo liberalism/neo-conservatism broke out from the think tanks where they should have remained, and took advantage of Soviet weakness and misplaced Russian optimism, that the world stared to edge closer to the end of the human race... If not now, when will a better opportunity arise to fulfil the biblical prophesy? People seem to genuinely believe that this is a contest between good and evil.

And to think that we were fed the opposite view, and, largely, believed it. The free-market right thought they'd captured the world. The radical racist right thought that, with the rise of ideological confusion and social instability, east and west, their big opportunity had come around again. The liberal left threw in their lot with the prevailing mood. The radical left thought its opportunity had come as well, but, as usual, floundered in confusion. All were wrong.

Fucking hell.

Last edited:
We all have to die someday, so why not go out in the blaze of global thermonuclear war? Save relatives stumping up for funeral costs.
Yes. Whenever I'm forced to watch Strictly or that masked singer thing, I can tell we probably deserve The End, beautiful friend...

Of everything that stands...

Every generation thinks they're the special ones. After 99% of us die in the nuclear conflagration, a few generations later people will be like "wow we've really got these rat farms sussed, things will never be the same again thanks to us"

I don't even care any more. I didn't start this and I know I have to die one day so fuck it.

Worst case scenario: no war and we all die of cancer and dementia instead, slowly, on morphine, with a wet incontinence pad.

To paraphrase Ghandi, what do I think of human civilization? It would have been a nice idea.

Right, if I remember my basic principles of survival, they go something like this order:

1. Will. You must first actually want to survive. Without this, everything else falls apart. I can see that some of you have already failed this first hurdle, and civilisation hasn't even collapsed yet. Shakes head. Never mind. The new order of the world will have to do without, I guess.

2. Shelter. Somewhere to protect you from the elements. In the case of a nuclear exchange, shelter is especially important if one is to weather the initial fallout period. In such circumstances, it is imperative that you remain indoors and limit physical activity, so preparation is key. I already have a place and I doubt that anyone will be collecting rent, but it might be helpful to scout out a second location before everything goes to shit, just in case.

3. Water. The very stuff of life. Got a good idea for this one. So since there's going to be a pre-amble before the nukes start flying, the plumbing won't fail immediately, which should give me time to run one final bath. Yep, I'm filling that sucker with as much fresh cold water as it can hold. Water purification tablets sound like a good thing to stockpile.

4. Food. Essential to keep you going. When the pandemic started, my stockpile of non-perishable food consisted of a couple of cans of corned beef and a Fray Bentos pie or two. Stock which I did not rotate. Oh dear. But since then, I've picked up the habit of having an entire cupboard full of cans, which I keep topped up and rotate via consumption.

Now those are the basics I half-remember from various survival books and whatnot, but I think in the aftermath of a nuclear exchange, there should be a fifth addition:

5. Community/continuity - no man is an island. We humans are social creatures, our strength as survivors is greatest when we cooperate. So by using the opportunity provided by the first four, I should endeavour to link up with other survivors and pool our efforts towards our mutual survival as well as towards the eventual re-establishment of civilisation.

These are the kinds of things I will keep in mind to help me, because I'm a survivor with the will to keep on living, not some soppy wannabe starving artist taking the opportunity to mope about uselessly before expiring, or whatever other kind of worthless drama llama.

Last edited:
Kind of regret being quite so attached to staying in London, I imagine.

Had a brief look at things when the prospect first raised its head in this war and, depending on the payload and just where in London was hit, I might survive the initial incineration but would still likely not do well for long.

Yaaaaaaay Zone 4 :(

Don't worry, plenty of Hiroshima and Nagasaki survivors lived to be interviewed by Time journalists decades later, so there's always that to look forward to if you survive.

with most of Britain in ruins a week after nuclear exchange starts, Sky Sports Soccer Saturday is presented from a nuclear command and control centre just outside Kettering. At 12.07 David Moyes comes up for interview before the Hammers' crunch match with what's left of Southampton, who are obliged to field their youth team, wearing black armbands.

"Clearly we're disappointed with everything that's happened", intones a sombre Moyes, "but however much we sympathise with a great city like Southampton our job this afternoon's to go out there and take the three points".

Molly-Mae Hague complains on instagram that she's had to cancel her holiday in Dubai.

:(

Back
Top Bottom