Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Junction: a new music bar and cafe for Loughborough Junction

The Junction is an excellent community venue, one of the jewels in LJ.

On that note, people of Loughborough Junction, don't forget about Whirled Cinema.

It lost a large chunk of its membership over the pandemic and is struggling to get people back through the doors.

For anyone who doesn't know it - there's a different film each week, and you can see it on a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday night. Pay for your membership and you can see as many films a year as you want. You can also just show up and pay on the night. It's got a small bar and a little balcony.

Top tip: the railway arch is quite cool and a good place to escape the heat at the moment.

Plus, the current film is excellent -

Oh for FUCK'S sake

junction.jpg

The Junction jazz bar in Loughborough Junction to close in September as landlords refuse to renew their lease
tragic - not an easy ask to make a venue with that remit a success
fucking landlords

I got copied in on this which sounds a hopeful development

I saw article in Brixton Buzz about your landlord refusing to renew your lease. I'm sure you've looked into this, so please forgive me for probably telling you something you already know and which you have taken legal.advice about, but unless you opted out of the Landlord and Tenant Act, you usually have right of renewal on a commercial lease, providing you apply to a court before the expiry date of the lease, if your landlord has opposed the renewal, unless it is for one of the reasons a landlord can refuse to renew - and not all of those grounds are mandatory-
E.g if it is for redevelopment, a court would usually want to see planning permission granted.
Business leases: grounds for possession under Section 25

All leases are protected by the LTA, unless you and the landlord followed a specific procedure to opt out when you signed the lease.

I just thought I'd mention it as landlords can pull the wool over unsuspecting tenants' eyes about security of tenure.

If the landlord has not served a Section 25 notice, then you serve a S26, but you would need to do so quickly and apply to a county court as a S26 is not a renewal in itself; it is notifying the landlord that you intend to apply to court and if you don't do that before the end of the lease, you lose your right to renewal.

Here is govt info

Renewing and ending business leases: a guide for tenants and landlords

If anyone fancies digging around these fuckers for more info, it would be appreciated:

Registered owners Manlon Properties Limited

First Floor, 18-20 North Quay, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1
4LE

Last sold for £1,200,000 on 19 September 2007

B: Proprietorship Register
This register specifies the class of title and identifies the owner. It contains any entries
that affect the right of disposal.
Class of Title: Title absolute

Entry number Entry date

1 2007-10-16 PROPRIETOR: MANLON PROPERTIES LIMITED
(incorporated in Isle of Man) care of First Floor, 18-
20 North Quay, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 4LE.

2 2007-10-16 The price stated to have been paid on 19
September 2007 was £1,200,000.

3 2007-10-16 A Transfer of the land in this title dated 19

September 2007 made between (1) Hamna Wakaf
Limited and (2) Manlon Properties Limited contains
purchaser's personal covenants.
¬NOTE: Copy filed.

4 2015-02-04 The proprietor's address for service has been

changed.

RESTRICTION: No disposition of the registered
estate by the proprietor of the registered estate is

5 2017-10-09

to be registered without a written consent signed
by the proprietor for the time being of the Charge
dated 29 September 2017 referred to in the
Charges Register.

C: Charges Register
This register contains any charges and other matters that affect the land.

Entry number Entry date

1 2005-10-28 The parts of the land affected thereby are subject
to the leases set out in the schedule of leases
hereto.
The leases grant and reserve easements as therein
mentioned.

2 2017-10-09 REGISTERED CHARGE dated 29 September 2017.

3 2017-10-09 Proprietor: STANDARD BANK ISLE OF MAN
LIMITED (incorporated in Isle of Man) of Standard
Bank House, One Circular Road, Douglas, Isle Of
Man.

4 Registration Date : 28.10.2005
Plan Reference : 1 (part of), 2
Property Description : 171 Coldharbour Lane
(Ground Floor and Basement),
patio area
Date of Lease : 29.04.2005
Term : 15 years from 29.2.2005
Lessee's Title : TGL263471

If anyone fancies digging around these fuckers for more info, it would be appreciated:

Registered owners Manlon Properties Limited

First Floor, 18-20 North Quay, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1
4LE

Last sold for £1,200,000 on 19 September 2007

B: Proprietorship Register
This register specifies the class of title and identifies the owner. It contains any entries
that affect the right of disposal.

Entry number Entry date

1 2007-10-16 PROPRIETOR: MANLON PROPERTIES LIMITED
(incorporated in Isle of Man) care of First Floor, 18-
20 North Quay, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 4LE.

2 2007-10-16 The price stated to have been paid on 19
September 2007 was £1,200,000.

3 2007-10-16 A Transfer of the land in this title dated 19

September 2007 made between (1) Hamna Wakaf
Limited and (2) Manlon Properties Limited contains
purchaser's personal covenants.
¬NOTE: Copy filed.

4 2015-02-04 The proprietor's address for service has been

changed.

RESTRICTION: No disposition of the registered
estate by the proprietor of the registered estate is

5 2017-10-09

to be registered without a written consent signed
by the proprietor for the time being of the Charge
dated 29 September 2017 referred to in the
Charges Register.

C: Charges Register
This register contains any charges and other matters that affect the land.

Entry number Entry date

1 2005-10-28 The parts of the land affected thereby are subject
to the leases set out in the schedule of leases
hereto.
The leases grant and reserve easements as therein
mentioned.

2 2017-10-09 REGISTERED CHARGE dated 29 September 2017.

3 2017-10-09 Proprietor: STANDARD BANK ISLE OF MAN
LIMITED (incorporated in Isle of Man) of Standard
Bank House, One Circular Road, Douglas, Isle Of
Man.

4 Registration Date : 28.10.2005
Plan Reference : 1 (part of), 2
Property Description : 171 Coldharbour Lane
(Ground Floor and Basement),
patio area
Date of Lease : 29.04.2005
Term : 15 years from 29.2.2005
Lessee's Title : TGL263471
You can search Isle of Man companies - but unlike UK Isle of Man Companies House charge for searches.
The thing is, even on the evidence of this thread the Junction has only existed since 2015.
I remember it as the Enterprise - an Inde Coope house allegedly the first to have black (female) strippers

Camra says this:
  • Junction
    Email
    info@thejunction.london
    Telephone
    (020) 3715 2762171 Coldharbour Lane Camberwell SE5 9PA
    The Junction is a live music bar and cafe which opened on 5th September 2015 in a pub dating from the 1870s. Former names of the pub include the Dover Castle and the Enterprise. There is good range of craft beers and two cask ales along with a range of wines, spirits and soft drinks. There is a small food menu and also quality coffee and cakes available.

...continued (formatting problems)
I remember the "Eastern Tree" - a Vietnamese restaurant, but there was also a Brazilian Restaurant phase.
I would suggest that Marlon Properties Ltd have as much commitment to their tenants as The Arches Company.

There may be something of interest here https://beta.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/d...Business_Rates_All_Properties_2021_22_Q4.xlsx
I will search when I fire up my PC. The fate of the Junction will probably turn out to be a cash-flow issue - unless it is that Marlon are selling up.

Watch those Savills anouncements Savills | Crown & Sceptre, 2-2A Streatham Hill, London, SW2 4AH | Property to rent

The Junction's fundraiser could do with letting folk know whether the prospective new venue is in Loughborough Junction or elsewhere.

The proposed new venue is relatively close to the old one but for what I hope are rather obvious business reasons, they can't declare their interest to the world right now.

Great to see that they're getting some press about this

The Junction’s owners thought they were going to get the lease renewed this year. Paul said: “I had a very good relationship with the agent, but the landlord has turned out to be extremely two faced. I haven’t met them. Who knows what they’re doing? I think it will be developed. They’ve applied for planning permission four times. It got rejected - because they tried to turn an existing pub into two new flats.” All their rent goes to the Isle of Man, widely seen as a tax haven.

“We close on September 1 to give us two weeks to lift and shift,” Paul adds. They are trying to get somewhere else. But it’s a tough position to be in: “I’m torn between fighting tooth and nail to keep it, or finding to use that energy to find somewhere new. We’ve got an application in for a new premises. But there will be competition. It’s 50/50 at best.”

"unless you opted out of the Landlord and Tenant Act" is a very common situation for commerical leases these days btw.

This will pretty much kill the venue off even if they pay up
Isle of Man-registered Manlon Properties Ltd, represented by agent Drakesfield, has now offered the venue a lease to stay - but only on condition of annual rents soaring from around £33,000 to £56,000, an increase of 70 per cent. They’ve also demanded soundproofing between floors, a confirmation the owners will not object to planning bids from the owner, and a limit to opening hours of 11pm - compared to midnight on Friday and Saturday. It comes amid suspicions the offshore owners plan to convert the site into flats.

Here's the fucking cunt:

He also owns Golfrate so he's got his fat paws all over Brixton.
According to this, Golfrate is owned by a different Aziz, who was born in 1945.

According to this, Golfrate is owned by a different Aziz, who was born in 1945.

He doesn't look 77!

Also the article says that his main development company is Criterion Capital...

Seeing this happen is reason why the present way unbridled Capitalism works is shit.

One of the main problems in this country is landlords. That's landlords / property developers like this whose main/ large part of income is from rent extraction and so called property "development".

A small minority yet have a lot of freedom to pursue their own wealth. Based on extracting it from tenants and useful small business like this

It's the definition of how pure capitalism is based on exploitative relationships.

Tbf this kind of thing isn't unusual. I'm sure he thinks he's working within the rules and is a philanthropist. So what's the problem.

This minority of parasites on ordinary working people have undue power in this country.

Governments over the years have ignored this. Rent controls / shifting the power from parasitic landlords to tenants and small business owners would be easy to do if the political will was there. It's not. And this include Labour as well as Tories

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom