Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst

J Ed

Follow Back Pro Expropriation
Anyone else watching this? It's a bit like Serial except the accused is totally hateable and obviously did it, I'm amazed he didn't try and plead guilty due to affluenza, I am still enjoying it though

incredible stuff - the fact he was arrested while it was airing points to discrepancies also in filmmaker's version of events (about being filmed outside the brother's house - this was apparently AFTER the 2nd interview, not before) but nonetheless an amazing documentary

It's great watch. I can't fathom his motivations in wanting to be in such a documentary. He didn't want to fess up or repent. Did he think there was any chance in hell he'd clear his name? All the evidence points the other way.

Just watched it. Brilliant documentary. He's an uber rich twitchy fucker, got away with self defence after chopping up his neighbour and dumping the body parts in the sea but is still in the frame for killing his wife, his best mate and others. His family owns shit loads of New York and he has the best defence money can buy. Trial is in September. Watch it if you haven't already.

Just watched it as it was mentioned on the Making a Murderer thread.

TBH I didn't find it as interesting by a loooong way. Sure he clearly did it, sure it was crappy policing and yes he's a fascinating character who it's interesting to watch and it's just wrong that privilege and money can buy you freedom.

I just didn't find it gripping.

Just watched it as it was mentioned on the Making a Murderer thread.

TBH I didn't find it as interesting by a loooong way. Sure he clearly did it, sure it was crappy policing and yes he's a fascinating character who it's interesting to watch and it's just wrong that privilege and money can buy you freedom.

For me it was the other way round. I found this incredibly gripping while I found Making a Murderer drawn out and repetitive.

Last edited:

I just watched it too after the other thread. I found it gripping because I couldn't believe he got away with it for so long (and still might). It's kind of the reverse of MaM (which I think someone said on that thread), don't you think? The rich are given the benefit of the doubt in the face of incredibly damning evidence; the poor are put away on the whisper of a ghost of a (clearly made up) story.

This had at least a couple of moments nothing in MaM comes close to. The discovery of the letter with the misspelled address and the final confession gave me goose pimples. It was also incredible (and incredibly lucky for the series) that Durst appears to be so narcissistic that he chose to take part in the documentary which then becomes his undoing. Another thing I liked was the time spent on the victims, something MaM barely seemed interested in. And it wasn't just that Durst was totally batshit, his wife was gave me the creeps as well.

I will admit that I wrote the above before seeing the last ten minutes - which were indeed tingling stuff!

I totally think it's the opposite polly, and more was given to the victims and relatives ... I dunno, I just found myself watching it because I started it so I'll finish it iyswim.

Although the last ten minutes were great.

I watched this all today and it was great. I wasn't as glued as I was with Making a Murderer, but I have to admit that Durst made for compelling viewing and that last 10 minutes was something else....

psa: robert durst is currently on trial for the murder of susan berman, the friend who helped cover his wife's disappearance (by phoning her college, pretending to be her). she of the "beverley hills" cadaver note.

anyone self-isolating needs a long-running drama it's all on youtube :cool: i think we're into day 3 of the prosecution opening statement atm :D

Finally convicted of murder Sept ‘21, sentenced to life imprisonment Oct ‘21 then dead by Jan ‘22.

Good that justice finally caught up with him, but surely there must be questions about how he got away with his crimes for so long? But then he had money, didn’t he?

A shame the fantastic documentary series didn’t get updated with another episode or two, to track Bob Durst’s story as it continued to develop. But then perhaps Andrew Jerecki felt that conclusion to the final episode couldn’t be improved upon, and he was probably right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom