Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

Maybe I'm missing something here but have either ISIS or al-Qaeda and its associates ever attacked Israel?

Verbally they have. But it's quite difficult to attack Israel physically. Do you mean to suggest that they don't want to attack Israel?

That's an excellent article.

I'm surprised that you'd agree with it though. It's sympathetic to Turkey, strongly opposes US intervention and calls the Peshmerga "a big part of the current problem."

All of which is fine by me. But it contradicts everything you've previously said on this thread.
No,I don't agree with his conclusions or his opinions just the general overview.

"There is no commercial activity in the city. The only business still open is the bakery. The bread produced here is distributed free among the people."
Interesting piece here from Kurdish journalist & Rojava Report contributor Ersin Caksu for the BBC, about daily life for the civilians trapped in Kobani.
thanks for posting that up.

saw an article from Foreign Policy here about the Yezidis trapped in the Sinjar mountains. It sounds like it is still a very grim situation with the combination of heading into winter and the effects of the siege. A couple of quotes from it:

""We are living off of figs from the mountain and leftovers from abandoned villages," Asaf tells them. "We need weapons, food, vehicles -- we need a road. There's no way out.""

"There are 1,300 families trapped across the wide swathe of the Sinjar mountain range, Babir said, with no humanitarian aid. Many of those he treated suffered from diarrheal and food-borne diseases, as well as malnutrition and cold."

saw an article from Foreign Policy here about the Yezidis trapped in the Sinjar mountains. It sounds like it is still a very grim situation with the combination of heading into winter and the effects of the siege. A couple of quotes from it:

""We are living off of figs from the mountain and leftovers from abandoned villages," Asaf tells them. "We need weapons, food, vehicles -- we need a road. There's no way out.""

"There are 1,300 families trapped across the wide swathe of the Sinjar mountain range, Babir said, with no humanitarian aid. Many of those he treated suffered from diarrheal and food-borne diseases, as well as malnutrition and cold."

Thought the coalition were doing aid drops?

Thought the coalition were doing aid drops?
I did read (might have been in the article I linked) that the Iraqi government has been sending some aid by helicopters, I don't know about anything else though. If the FP piece is anything to go by it doesn't sound as if its enough in any case.

I did read (might have been in the article I linked) that the Iraqi government has been sending some aid by helicopters, I don't know about anything else though. If the FP piece is anything to go by it doesn't sound as if its enough in any case.
Was a while ago,when they fled into the mountains the RAF was using Hercules from Cyprus to drop aid don't know if or why it's been stopped?

Was a while ago,when they fled into the mountains the RAF was using Hercules from Cyprus to drop aid don't know if or why it's been stopped?
did a bit of googling and it sounds like they ended that in August:
"The UK has since suspended its humanitarian aid airdrops, concluding that the humanitarian crisis in the area has improved."
wiki link here

saw an article from Foreign Policy here about the Yezidis trapped in the Sinjar mountains. It sounds like it is still a very grim situation with the combination of heading into winter and the effects of the siege.

There seems to be movement around Sinjar that could mean some relief for the trapped civilians. More airstrikes reported today (by Centcom), & this article about Peshmerga reinforcements, published a couple of days ago, seems confident (but it is a partisan news source). I guess that even with the siege lifted, it will still be a grim winter for a community displaced and decimated by killings & kidnappings.

There seems to be movement around Sinjar that could mean some relief for the trapped civilians. More airstrikes reported today (by Centcom), & this article about Peshmerga reinforcements, published a couple of days ago, seems confident (but it is a partisan news source). I guess that even with the siege lifted, it will still be a grim winter for a community displaced and decimated by killings & kidnappings.
Partisan aye, but not too much so, seems more 'in touch' than some of the other feeds,who seem to have gone quiet or have shifted their attention to Israel, which is beyond frustrating.

Talking of partisan, there's a new IS video out - 28 minutes of snappily-edited piety & combat. I won't link to it, and I now wish I hadn't watched any of it (searching twitter for Ayn al Islam instead of Kobani produces very different results). Very different from the Western-aimed Cantlie production, the hubris of 'mujahadeen mopping up' assertions and 'i see no journalists' smirks have been replaced with humble holy warriors praying, killing, & purging sin from godless Kurdish communists. It's a propaganda recruitment tool, and I'd guess effective in its own terms - slick, bombastic, featuring some genuinely startling (and brave) footage of firefights & suicide truck bomb shockwaves. Twitter war nerds reckon the footage stops mid september, round the IS high tide mark in Kobani - the new tone suggests a long war, not a quick victory.

(It's insignificant in the grand scheme, but this doesn't look good for hostage reporter Cantlie - I know he was unlikely to make old bones, but his quick transformation from 'voice of truth' to 'comical ali' renders him useless)

Christ. They're talking to him in Arabic - 'What's your name?'

ETA - There's a longer version of the video above - FSA (not YPG) talking to him under the rubble. He states his name & where he's from while a fighter holds his hair. I'll post a link if asked, but it's unpleasant.

Last edited:

ETA - There's a longer version of the video above - FSA (not YPG) talking to him under the rubble. He states his name & where he's from while a fighter holds his hair. I'll post a link if asked, but it's unpleasant.

The whole situation is unpleasant, at least his head is still attached to the rest of him, any links with an interpretation would be appreciated, have looked but couldn't find nowt, ta

More on the shia militia and their activity:

The Gangs of Iraq: Marauding pro-government militias are using the fight against the Islamic State as a pretext to destroy Sunni Arab communities across the country.

Despite being almost completely unaccountable to any official ministry, the Shiite militias have been tasked by the government with a key role in the war against the Islamic State. Yet what we saw in Yengija laid bare the costs of relying on these groups. Beyond the main road, an entire neighborhood of two-story homes was razed and flattened, with concrete slab roofs heaped atop piles of rubble. Personal belongings, children's toys, and furniture peeked out from under the debris, a poignant reminder of the Sunni Arab families who, until recently, had lived there. All these families had fled in August when the militia started battling the Islamic State fighters in the surrounding area.

Mirrored by this: Fears for 100s of Tribesmen Seized by Islamic State in Town of al-Alam

Residents of al-Alam, about 100 miles north of Baghdad, said the Islamic State has detained as many as 500 men and boys from the Sunni Jubouri tribe since Sunday. The seizures began after youths tore down the jihadists’ black banner from a square in the town center and replaced it with an Iraqi flag.

Sources said the Islamic State has demolished many Jubouri family homes in al-Alam and are forbidding shopkeepers from doing business with the tribe’s members.

Prepare to get a headache Coley...a new piece from Karajlis dealing with the infighting and suggesting it's been encouraged as a counter-revolutionary initiative by the US led coalition hand in hand with assad

As Nusra plays at ISIS-lite, the US excels as Assad’s airforce

1. The defeat of and expulsion from much of Idlib province of the Syrian Revolutionaries Front (SRF), a component of the Free Syrian Army (FSA), by Jabhat al-Nusra (JaN) has led to vastly different responses among supporters of the Syrian revolution. This article will argue that it is an important setback for the Syrian revolution, though how significant remains to be seen as facts are unclouded.
  2. Meanwhile, the subsequent US bombing of JaN in regions of northern Idlib not affected by the fighting, and the extension of US bombing to Ahrar al-Sham, a component of the Islamic Front (IF), which had opposed the in-fighting and had tried to separate the sides, further indicates the reactionary nature of the US intervention (indeed, as I will argue below, the US bombing was part of the background to JaN’s aggressive moves), while also highlighting again the long-term US strategy of trying to incite civil war within the ranks of the anti-Assad forces to bring about mutual suicide. However, the US push has been attempting to cajole the FSA into launching such a war, a push that has been entirely unsuccessful, whereas instead it is JaN that is, unwittingly, carrying out this strategy.
  3. Meanwhile, this open US attack on non-ISIS and even non-JaN forces, along with the fact that regime warplanes have been attacking rebel positions in Idlib (eg Binnish) at the same time that US warplanes bombed northern Idib towns, only further underlines the fact that the US has intervened in Syria on the side of the Assad genocide-regime and against the revolution, as the latter coordinates with the US and steps up its own war on its people to simply incredible heights.

Prepare to get a headache Coley...a new piece from Karajlis dealing with the infighting and suggesting it's been encouraged as a counter-revolutionary initiative by the US led coalition hand in hand with assad

As Nusra plays at ISIS-lite, the US excels as Assad’s airforce

1. The defeat of and expulsion from much of Idlib province of the Syrian Revolutionaries Front (SRF), a component of the Free Syrian Army (FSA), by Jabhat al-Nusra (JaN) has led to vastly different responses among supporters of the Syrian revolution. This article will argue that it is an important setback for the Syrian revolution, though how significant remains to be seen as facts are unclouded.
  2. Meanwhile, the subsequent US bombing of JaN in regions of northern Idlib not affected by the fighting, and the extension of US bombing to Ahrar al-Sham, a component of the Islamic Front (IF), which had opposed the in-fighting and had tried to separate the sides, further indicates the reactionary nature of the US intervention (indeed, as I will argue below, the US bombing was part of the background to JaN’s aggressive moves), while also highlighting again the long-term US strategy of trying to incite civil war within the ranks of the anti-Assad forces to bring about mutual suicide. However, the US push has been attempting to cajole the FSA into launching such a war, a push that has been entirely unsuccessful, whereas instead it is JaN that is, unwittingly, carrying out this strategy.
  3. Meanwhile, this open US attack on non-ISIS and even non-JaN forces, along with the fact that regime warplanes have been attacking rebel positions in Idlib (eg Binnish) at the same time that US warplanes bombed northern Idib towns, only further underlines the fact that the US has intervened in Syria on the side of the Assad genocide-regime and against the revolution, as the latter coordinates with the US and steps up its own war on its people to simply incredible heights.
Christ that was a migraine not a headache, seems the US foreign policy is even more stupid than I thought, but at least the FSA knows it cant trust JaN and can possibly build up/strengthen alliances with some of the more 'reliable' groups, though their reliability can switch at the drop of a hat.
I thought Obama not taking action when Assad started using CWs was weakness but mebbes part of a long range strategy to prop up a weakened regime?

coley Longer vid & translation is here, four posts down - I got 'what's your name?' & 'where are you from?' and ran out of arabic. The captor's rank was possibly over-inflated when the video first started doing the rounds online. Apparently the FSA think its propaganda value comes from showing a man left behind.

Plenty of Peshmerga movement being reported in the north - Baghdad have asked them to assist in the capture of Mosul, according to reports. The IS advance on Kobani showed that taking the outlying villages is the easy bit.

This the same Bagdad that dismissed the peshmergas offer to help in the defence of Mosul a couple of months ago?

Michael Karadjis is claiming that Al Nusra's character has changed on the ground due to an influx of FSA fighters.
In addition, due to having lots of money and arms from the oppositionist bourgeoisie in the Gulf, JaN has been more effective than many FSA units, which, despite the media’s Orwellian obsession with calling them “Western-backed rebels,” have barely ever got a bone from “the West.” This has meant that many former FSA fighters, or fighters with little ideological commitment that would otherwise have been in the FSA, have joined JaN, without supporting its reactionary Sunni sectarian ideology. This has also helped moderate the practice of JaN on the ground. For example, when JaN and AaS briefly liberated Raqqa from ISIS in January, they liberated two churches and removed the black jihadist flags that ISIS had put on their spires – because JaN in Raqqa was by then largely composed of FSA entryists.
So he has one instance to back up this claim ie. the removal of the ISIS flag from two churches in Raqqa. I'm trying to work out how that says anything at all. If you trace the links back we see that this story was relayed by an activist (back in January), who of course has his own agenda.
Abu Maya also said that two churches held by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria were “liberated” by Nusra Front fighters on Monday, adding, “God willing, the churches will be restored and used again by Christians in Raqqa.”
http://eaworldview.com/2014/01/syria-daily-114-killed-amid-concerns-evacuees-near-damascus/
So propaganda that sounds good is not only taken as the truth but forms the basis of an analysis which it couldn't support regardless of its truth. Filtered through Robin Yassin-Kassab's spin and then that spin spun a second time by Karadjis. Imagine we were talking about Ukraine and someone was spinning pro-Russian fascists as revolutionaries.

Post it up.

Protests called by Kurdish nationalist groups in Germany, Australia and elsewhere have backed U.S. airstrikes in Syria and demanded that the imperialists supply the Syrian Kurds with arms. These calls have been echoed by many reformist leftists around the world, giving credence to the “humanitarian” cover for the imperialist onslaught. Thus, the New Anti-Capitalist Party in France and some leaders of the Left Party in Germany (not to mention the bourgeois German Greens) have called on their respective capitalist governments to arm the Kurds in Kobani.

I suppose the Russian revolutionaries should never have taken arms from the Kaiser :rolleyes:

Christ that was a migraine not a headache, seems the US foreign policy is even more stupid than I thought, but at least the FSA knows it cant trust JaN and can possibly build up/strengthen alliances with some of the more 'reliable' groups, though their reliability can switch at the drop of a hat.
I thought Obama not taking action when Assad started using CWs was weakness but mebbes part of a long range strategy to prop up a weakened regime?

so theyll just eat their captives as opposed to beheading them .The FSA have beheaded plenty too...just not westerners . They kidnapped and sold the westerners to the loonies. Most of them have defected to ISIS or al-Qaeda, the rest work with one or the other . One criminal led faction in kobne whos criminal smuggling enterprise are at risk are opposing them with the odd turf war elsewhere and collaboration with various loonies the norm .

the assaults against Yezidis are no different in character or purpose to the one in Latakia againt the minorities there nd the assault on Maloula . countless people murdered nd beheaded , women and children abducted and never seen again . All with Western blessing and full FSA participation

theres still no evidence the Syrian forces ever used cw in ghout...the very dy after UN inspectors theyd embarrassed into going to Syria to investigate rebel use of CW arrived . and based themselves barely 2 miles from the site gassed the very next day . The west insisted there ws nobody that crazy or with the expertise among the rebels . We now know for sure thats bollocks .ISIS have the cruelty, the madness and the military exerts Saddams forces. Means and obvious motive.

Administration officials said Wednesday that neither the U.N. Security Council, which is deciding whether to weigh in, nor allies' concerns would affect their plans. But the complicated intelligence picture raises questions about the White House's full-steam-ahead approach to the Aug. 21 attack on a rebel-held Damascus suburb, with worries that the attack could be tied to al-Qaida-backed rebels later.

U.S. intelligence officials are not so certain that the suspected chemical attack was carried out on Assad's orders. Some have even talked about the possibility that rebels could have carried out the attack in a callous and calculated attempt to draw the West into the war. That suspicion was not included in the official intelligence report, according to the official who described the report.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-sources-intelligence-weapons-no-slam-dunk

http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/09/obamas-case-for-syria-didnt-reflect-intel-consensus/

then they demanded there be no investigation

http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/08/in-rush-to-strike-syria-u-s-tried-to-derail-u-n-probe/

After initially insisting that Syria give United Nations investigators unimpeded access to the site of an alleged nerve gas attack, the administration of President Barack Obama reversed its position on Sunday and tried unsuccessfully to get the U.N. to call off its investigation.

youre talking balls on this from start to finish .Theres no moderate rebels

Back
Top Bottom