Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

That Hollywood actor not exactly going down a storm...

(Jordan Matson's Facebook)

He is a homophobe too apparently

rROuTIS.jpg

Not at all.

Today's capitalism is finance capitalism; finance capitalism is usury; Islamism opposes usury.

Whilst i respect your opinion on middle eastern politics and think you're more informed than some others on the boards this simply isn't true. 'ribah' and 'fa'iz' don't translate to usury (as we understand it in English) but pure interest. This was dealt with by Marx in Capital vol. 3. But interest under capitalism (be that finance or industrial) is profit, which the islamists do not oppose.

The idea of 'ribah/fa'iz' only really makes sense in tributary societies, not in societies that have gone past the capitalisation of agriculture. If you argued that islamists want to return to societies pre-agrarian revolutions, that would be a more convincing case, though equally as ridiculous.

Christ, so thats what it looks like to take on heavy artillery with smallish arms. Bailed when I that lad loading a small mortar type thing. I've got mates little brothers older than that. They may not have been able to take kobane but they certainly did a number on it. Buildings just blasted. Similar reaction when I saw that photo of downtown damascus, in ruins. Not discounting the human cost but...look at what they have to return to when its safe. A boneyard.

In modern military parlance, it's a form of "area denial". You can achieve it with anti-personnel mines, but blowing the shit out of homes works too in stopping people re-colonising an area.

Isis using water supply as a weapon

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/04/isis-iraq-anbar-water_n_7510174.html?utm_hp_ref=uk&ir=UK

On Wednesday, IS militants closed the locks on a militant-held dam on the Euphrates River near Ramadi, reducing the flow downstream and threatening irrigation systems and water treatment plants in nearby areas controlled by troops and tribes opposed to the extremist group.

Anbar councilman, Taha Abdul-Ghani said the move will not only make the lives of people living in the affected areas more difficult but it could also pose a threat to the security forces fighting to recapture Ramadi. If water levels drop significantly, he said, the extremists could cross the Euphrates River on foot.

Whilst i respect your opinion on middle eastern politics and think you're more informed than some others on the boards this simply isn't true. 'ribah' and 'fa'iz' don't translate to usury (as we understand it in English) but pure interest. This was dealt with by Marx in Capital vol. 3. But interest under capitalism (be that finance or industrial) is profit, which the islamists do not oppose.

The idea of 'ribah/fa'iz' only really makes sense in tributary societies, not in societies that have gone past the capitalisation of agriculture. If you argued that islamists want to return to societies pre-agrarian revolutions, that would be a more convincing case, though equally as ridiculous.

While I have the greatest respect for your academic rigour here, we usually just go with "Fuck off, Dwyer".

Isis using water supply as a weapon

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/04/isis-iraq-anbar-water_n_7510174.html?utm_hp_ref=uk&ir=UK

On Wednesday, IS militants closed the locks on a militant-held dam on the Euphrates River near Ramadi, reducing the flow downstream and threatening irrigation systems and water treatment plants in nearby areas controlled by troops and tribes opposed to the extremist group.

Anbar councilman, Taha Abdul-Ghani said the move will not only make the lives of people living in the affected areas more difficult but it could also pose a threat to the security forces fighting to recapture Ramadi. If water levels drop significantly, he said, the extremists could cross the Euphrates River on foot.
Questions to ask there is do they want to cross the euphrates on foot, and if so, why?

Israelis and Saudis Reveal Secret Talks to Thwart Iran

Eshki was particularly alarming. He laid out a brief history of Iran since the 1979 revolution, highlighting the regime's acts of terrorism, hostage-taking and aggression. He ended his remarks with a seven-point plan for the Middle East. Atop the list was achieving peace between Israel and the Arabs. Second came regime-change in Iran. Also on the list were greater Arab unity, the establishment of an Arab regional military force, and a call for an independent Kurdistan to be made up of territory now belonging to Iraq, Turkey and Iran.

The distinction between "usury" and "interest" is nothing more than a rationalization of capitalism. All interest is usury, and both are ribah.

Terrible weather in Istanbul eh?

Contrary to what i expected to happen, the regime forces in Hasakah repelled the ISIS attack and pushed them out further than they had been before the offensive - and apparently did it with the helpof Kurdish and Assyrian forces. Now that last but could just be mopping up areas ISIS retreated from in the countryside but it may be something more and worth keeping an eye on.

Note also, the non-islamist rebels in Aleppo have similarly halted the ISIS offensive there and may be able to push them back as well, and the moves towards Tal abyd continue - ISIS are going to lose that key border crossing.

The distinction between "usury" and "interest" is nothing more than a rationalization of capitalism. All interest is usury, and both are ribah.

Terrible weather in Istanbul eh?

You're the one claiming that Islam (and specifically islamists) have a coherent economic position on interest, not me.

If you though the Guardian selling the Protocols of the Elders of Zion was bad, amazon were just caught selling Dabiq - the english language ISIS mag, the one where justifications for slavery and so on appear. And they weren't just hosting it for someone else, they were actually publishing it through one of their self-publishing companies.

Hmm...

Freedom of speech etc...

Surely it's better for these things to be ventilated and adressed directly rather than suppressed.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean facilitating (and for commercial gain) the expanded circulation of all speech ffs. And as if ISIS are short of media outlets of one sort or another. And if Amazon have been banned from selling this filth. Or the guardian from selling anti-semitic filth.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean facilitating (and for commercial gain) the expanded circulation of all speech ffs. And as if ISIS are short of media outlets of one sort or another. And if Amazon have been banned from selling this filth. Or the guardian from selling anti-semitic filth.

Yes, it's not an absolute principle, especially in the UK as opposed to the USA, but I'm not sure why your judgment of "filth" should ban publication...

I don't like it but it shouldn't be banned because I don't like it.

Yes, it's not an absolute principle, especially in the UK as opposed to the USA, but I'm not sure why your judgment of "filth" should ban publication...

I don't like it but it shouldn't be banned because I don't like it.
Where did i suggest any such thing? I called dabiq and the protocols filth. There was no argument made that this judgement logically entails their banning.

So when will we see the US openly cooperating with Eeeeeeeran in Iraq? I know there has obviously been spook level contact for sometime to enable Iran to get involved on the ground. At least what point do you think we may see public engagement with say the revolutionary guard lot to stabilise Iraq somewhat and allow the US to wash its hands of the entire sorry, bloody mess...

So when will we see the US openly cooperating with Eeeeeeeran in Iraq? I know there has obviously been spook level contact for sometime to enable Iran to get involved on the ground. At least what point do you think we may see public engagement with say the revolutionary guard lot to stabilise Iraq somewhat and allow the US to wash its hands of the entire sorry, bloody mess...

Almost never, would be my thoughts.

What peeps in the West don't often understand as clearly as they should do is that the Syrian conflict isn't about Assad at all.

It is about Saudi v Iran.

If you think things are bad now they can very easily and very quickly get much more worse.

Almost never, would be my thoughts.

What peeps in the West don't often understand as clearly as they should do is that the Syrian conflict isn't about Assad at all.

It is about Saudi v Iran.

If you think things are bad now they can very easily and very quickly get much more worse.
That is all it has, is and ever will be about. 172 wasted pages on this thread alone.

Back
Top Bottom