Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

One of the BBCs stories this morning is "Islamic State militants 'smuggled to Europe"
- claims that ISIS fighters were coming to Europe on migrant boats and ISIS profiting from people smuggling.
The website article and story on the news bulletin during the Andrew Marr show, are clear that the source is a Libyan government advisor; on the story I saw on the BBC News Channel, this is less obvious.

Is this an attempt to stir up anti-migrant feelings, prepare for a military intervention, or is there something in it... or a mixture of all three?

One of the BBCs stories this morning is "Islamic State militants 'smuggled to Europe"
- claims that ISIS fighters were coming to Europe on migrant boats and ISIS profiting from people smuggling.
The website article and story on the news bulletin during the Andrew Marr show, are clear that the source is a Libyan government advisor; on the story I saw on the BBC News Channel, this is less obvious.

Is this an attempt to stir up anti-migrant feelings, prepare for a military intervention, or is there something in it... or a mixture of all three?
also using the ph33r of daesh as an excuse to prop up their supervillian 'for too long our society has tolerated' line while they ram home yet more snoopers charter stuff. As they did after 9/11, after 7/7 and during the Troubles.

They've just taken over ramadi in Iraq . Completely .

Syrian army and hizb have given them and their nusra mates a severe kicking in qalamoun along the Lebanese border and seem to have finally cleared the area of them both, as well as the remaining fragments of Fsa.

Also seem to have given them a hiding around palmyra , a world heritage site they wanted to blow up .

They've just taken over ramadi in Iraq . Completely .

Syrian army and hizb have given them and their nusra mates a severe kicking in qalamoun along the Lebanese border and seem to have finally cleared the area of them both, as well as the remaining fragments of Fsa.

Also seem to have given them a hiding around palmyra , a world heritage site they wanted to blow up .

These cunts have no chance against American world domonation

This appears to be a major victory for al-Nusra & the other Islamo rebels. The article says it could be the gateway to the Alawite heartland, the Latakia area. If ISIS & co get there, the slaughter will be mind boggling.

Amazing how a collection of rebel groups looks to be winning against the Syrian military supported by Iran/Hezbollah & American & other western air power.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32461693

It seems they've had a lot of foreign support . Saudis, Turks etc don't even seem to be hiding it any more . This assault came from straight across the Turkish border with the Syrians alleging the covering fire came from within turkey . Also very well trained with bang up to date and sophisticated hardware . So it's not really all that amazing . It's what happens when foreign states actively support terrorist groups on a massive scale .

It seems they've had a lot of foreign support . Saudis, Turks etc don't even seem to be hiding it any more . This assault came from straight across the Turkish border with the Syrians alleging the covering fire came from within turkey . Also very well trained with bang up to date and sophisticated hardware . So it's not really all that amazing . It's what happens when foreign states actively support terrorist groups on a massive scale .

Saudis behind it then?

I am not so sure if Khedery's use of the phrase at the end of the piece 'an international tsunami of terrorism' is over-sensationalising the picture but even if it was half that number or even a quarter of security forces present in Ramadi when it fell it would still be pretty. :facepalm:

I am not so sure if Khedery's use of the phrase at the end of the piece 'an international tsunami of terrorism' is over-sensationalising the picture but even if it was half that number or even a quarter of security forces present in Ramadi when it fell it would still be pretty. :facepalm:

Perhaps - though it should be pointed out that those 150 IS were probably vastly better armed, better trained, better paid, had access to greater firepower and had far more idea of what was going on than their opponents. It is also interesting that he described the 6,000 as being police officers, rather than regular army; how does one of the major cities in Iraq get attacked over a period of a month without the army going in?

Just a hint of caution on that figure . His source was supposedly within the Iraqi Kurd cabinet, which is bound to have an agenda of its own in all this too . I personally severely doubt the is lot went out to take that town with just 150 fighters ...that's a very small number to even hope to patrol or hold it much less surround it and take it over. It's close to the heartland of their support , so its likely for a number of reasons their force was much bigger than that . Notwithstanding the obvious fact that the current Iraqi forces obviously aren't fit for purpose .

Eta

According to wiki its population is over half a million . There'd be more bin men in the place than IS if yer mans figure is correct . Plus it's CNN and amanpour .

Last edited:
Anyways, some good news is after both IS and Al Nusra were kicked out of qalamoun they've regrouped in some old quarries close to the Lebanese border . And have started blowing shite out of each other . Apparently trading accusations of treachery following their pretty massive and speedy defeat there .
Both had all winter to dig in and prepare tunnels and defences, very well armed, thousands of them dug into hillsides , caves and mountain tops . Plenty of reinforcements to call upon around lebanons arsal . But definitively routed in about 2 weeks .

One interesting bit of info there coming from numerous sources is that literally thousands of the so called " free Syrian army " defected to IS as soon as they arrived in the area . Obviously these much touted " moderates " prefer their moderation in moderation .

BBC reporting that they have taken Palmyra.

It's obviously a bit obscene to wring one's hands over the destruction of ancient ruins more than the everyday brutality that IS meets out to living people but this to me is a real test of how totalitarian IS is.

Palmyra is the most spectacular site that I have visited by quite some distance. It is amazingly beautiful and also enormous. More importantly, it is not Islamic.

IS would probably have to spend days or weeks to do away with it all.

It'll be interesting to see how they proceed.

There is also a Mamluk castle, which is equally spectacular, that overlooks Palmyra - if IS go to town on the ancient ruins, it will be interesting to see how they treat that.

It's obviously a bit obscene to wring one's hands over the destruction of ancient ruins more than the everyday brutality that IS meets out to living people but this to me is a real test of how totalitarian IS is.

Palmyra is the most spectacular site that I have visited by quite some distance. It is amazingly beautiful and also enormous. More importantly, it is not Islamic.

There is also a Mamluk castle, which is equally spectacular, that overlooks Palmyra - if IS go to town on the ancient ruins, it will be interesting to see how they treat that.
i am glad you find this interesting.

Forthcoming. Clairvoyants have we here?

Actually fuck this, I'm not going to let a bunch of vindictive morons derail yet another thread.

Good evening. I hope you enjoy your sandpit.

Vindictive morons? What on Earth pushes you to say that?

Anyway given the precedence ISIS have for heritage destruction I think the word "forthcoming" is hardly clairvoyance.

Yes. It's truly an amazing place & as you say, minor in comparison to the human tragedy caused by ISIS. I explored that castle with a flashlight. Now to think the whole place will be blown up by the Islamo savages......:(

Its the damage over time that saddens me with this, think how much revenue and reason to visit the Middle East is lost for each ruin that is destroyed, alongside just a tangible bit of history and a link with the past you can actually see and know that people once lived there.

The human loss is horrible, the cultural loss does somehow make it worse though, its tearing away a little bit of the areas soul.

I would have loved to visit the Middle East as well, probably not going to happen now.

Its the damage over time that saddens me with this, think how much revenue and reason to visit the Middle East is lost for each ruin that is destroyed, alongside just a tangible bit of history and a link with the past you can actually see and know that people once lived there.

The human loss is horrible, the cultural loss does somehow make it worse though, its tearing away a little bit of the areas soul.

I would have loved to visit the Middle East as well, probably not going to happen now.

Its not just the areas soul, its the entire worlds . Ours too .Humanity is more than simple tissue and organs, it's culture and antiquity , identity . Those who launched this war on Syria and previously Iraq are largely responsible for these crimes against humanity . Many of these savages were yesterday's " moderates who must be supported" . Thousands of them defected to IS only months ago .
Thankfully it sounds as if the Syrian army successfully evacuated most of the civilian population prior to withdrawal , along with a lot of artefacts . But anyone or thing who didn't make it will be facing the seventh circle of hell now .

I hope Obama , Cameron , Hollande and their cheerleaders are well proud of themselves for the sterling job they've done on Syria . And there'll be more of this to come .

Back
Top Bottom