Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

I see that the Daily Mail has run a "sow and ye shall reap" article about one of the teenage girl's fathers, (Abase Hussen). The Mail has him at Choudary rally with fellow attendee Michael Adebowale.

Hmmm...on the face of it, that does rather undermine the line that the radicalisation occurred exclusively as a result of grooming and at school?

Doesn't surprise me at all, as I suggested earlier I suspected that something like this was going on. I assumed, because of the tone of the statement, that Cage was involved and they decided to employ Salafi lawyer Tasnime Akunjee.

Some developments today - in Iraq government/Shiite milita advances into Tikrit, some pictures of government and pro-government troops in the centre of city but despite the length of this assault and US air support it seems fairly obvious that ISIS still controls most of the city. The Iraqi government and a lot of media, including CNN, claims otherwise but it doesn't seem to be true - embarrassing.

Meanwhile in Syria Nusra and allies have reportedly continued to push southwards, attacking Al-Mastouma. Pic of area here.

For those finding the middle east a bit confusing:

network1.jpg

Al Yarmouk Palestinian refugee camp (pop 160,000) just south of Damascus has fallen to IS backed by al-Nusra after heavy fighting. Situation is apparently desperate with no food or medicine according to the PLO.

I wouldn't trust la Repubblica so instinctively over the finer details of the war in Syria, I've seen them report unsourced stuff on more than one occasion. Indeed, here they say "according to witnesses" that al-nusra has joined ISIS in this attack, but it's a single line of the article.

Of course, why didn't i just read the article in italian that you didn't link to. Silly me.

Nusra backing ISIS sounds unlikely to me - a section of their fighters deserting and throwing in with ISIS is far more likely,or something similar. And to take the word uncritically of the palestinian organisations who have been policing the camps for assad is a little naive - and for a single line in passing too? No, i don't think you can really make that first line stick right now. You can report it as rumour, allegation etc for sure though.

Many reports that ISIS were pushed either out or right back to the peripheries last night. Most accounts from reliable people seem to suggest this grew out of a local dispute with a hamas-group within the camp. And that it essentially was ISIS cleverly using the media's propensity for exaggeration where they are concerned to take focus away from the advance of rival islamists in idlib and the north-west.

April the first, aye?

I don't think the institute of internet diagrams output was greatly affected by that date, and it was published in late March.

Mind you I decided to spoil the humour for myself by actually looking at a lot of the lines, and was shocked to discover that Iran and Saudi Arabia are friends on that diagram. Possibly friends twice, but my eyes have gone screwy now.

Of course, why didn't i just read the article in italian that you didn't link to. Silly me.

Nusra backing ISIS sounds unlikely to me - a section of their fighters deserting and throwing in with ISIS is far more likely,or something similar. And to take the word uncritically of the palestinian organisations who have been policing the camps for assad is a little naive - and for a single line in passing too? No, i don't think you can really make that first line stick right now. You can report it as rumour, allegation etc for sure though.

Being reported elsewhere now

https://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/M...rcent-of-damascus-refugee-camp-activists.ashx

Thousands of Palestinian civilians are trapped in Syria's Yarmuk camp, which is besieged by government forces and has been largely overrun by jihadi fighters, an opposition official said Saturday.

The camp in Damascus is now almost completely under the control of ISIS and Al-Qaeda's local branch the Nusra Front, activist group monitoring the war said.

The U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees UNRWA issued an urgent plea for humanitarian access to the area, saying the situation in Yarmuk was a "source of universal shame."

Jihadis from ISIS first attacked the camp, just seven kilometers from central Damascus, Wednesday.

They were initially repelled by Palestinian forces inside Yarmouk, but have since captured 90 percent of the sprawling area.

"The residents of the camp are between the devil and the deep blue sea," said Ayman Abu Hashem, who heads the Syrian opposition interim government's committee on Palestinian refugees.

"The camp is surrounded by the regime, and inside the forces of ISIS have almost completely taken over."

Abu Hashem said Palestinian forces from the Aknaf Beit al-Maqdis group, which is loyal to the Palestinian movement Hamas, were effectively encircled by the jihadis.

And he said fears were running high that ISIS would take revenge in the camp because members of the jihadi group were expelled by residents and fighters last year.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which is Britain-based, said jihadi forces now controlled 90 percent of Yarmuk, which was once home to 160,000 people, both Syrian and Palestinian.

Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said Nusra fighters were not battling alongside ISIS forces, but were also not opposing the its advances.

Palestinian officials accused Nusra of facilitating ISIS' entrance into Yarmouk, where the population has dwindled to just 18,000 residents.

Some fucking horrifying pictures on twitter of the treatment of Palestinians by Daesh today. Jesus.

Just to clarify a point made above about Silhan Ozcelik. she is charged with attempting to join PKK not YPG. YPG is not a proscribed terrorist group, whereas the PKK are

“At this time ISIS began to enter the offices of all local organizations in Yarmouk,” Jafra stated. ISIS broke into Jafra’s offices, briefly detaining three volunteers present at the time. “ISIS destroyed the office and all paperwork inside,” the group added.

Violent battles continued on 3 April. Jafra reported that two young Palestinian fighters were beheaded by ISIS and two young women were kidnapped, their whereabouts unknown.

“There are now no operational hospitals or medical facilities to serve the civilian population inside the besieged camp,” according to Jafra, which added that one if its volunteers, 21-year-old Majed al-Omari, was shot and killed by ISIS sniper fire outside his home on 3 April.

Article in Washington Post discussing the role of ex-Baathists in ISIS

SANLIURFA, Turkey — When Abu Hamza, a former Syrian rebel, agreed to join the Islamic State, he did so assuming he would become a part of the group’s promised Islamist utopia, which has lured foreign jihadists from around the globe.

Instead, he found himself being supervised by an Iraqi emir and receiving orders from shadowy Iraqis who moved in and out of the battlefield in Syria. When Abu Hamza disagreed with fellow commanders at an Islamic State meeting last year, he said, he was placed under arrest on the orders of a masked Iraqi man who had sat silently through the proceedings, listening and taking notes.

Abu Hamza, who became the group’s ruler in a small community in Syria, never discovered the Iraqis’ real identities, which were cloaked by code names or simply not revealed. All of the men, however, were former Iraqi officers who had served under Saddam Hussein, including the masked man, who had once worked for an Iraqi intelligence agency and now belonged to the Islamic State’s own shadowy security service, he said.

His account, and those of others who have lived with or fought against the Islamic State over the past two years, underscore the pervasive role played by members of Iraq’s former Baathist army in an organization more typically associated with flamboyant foreign jihadists and the gruesome videos in which they star.

Even with the influx of thousands of foreign fighters, almost all of the leaders of the Islamic State are former Iraqi officers, including the members of its shadowy military and security committees, and the majority of its emirs and princes, according to Iraqis, Syrians and analysts who study the group.

They have brought to the organization the military expertise and some of the agendas of the former Baathists, as well as the smuggling networks developed to avoid sanctions in the 1990s and which now facilitate the Islamic State’s illicit oil trading.

Baghdadi’s effort was further aided by a new round of de-Baathificationlaunched after U.S. troops left in 2011 by then Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, who set about firing even those officers who had been rehabilitated by the U.S. military.

Among them was Brig. Gen. Hassan Dulaimi, a former intelligence officer in the old Iraqi army who was recruited back into service by U.S. troops in 2006, as a police commander in Ramadi, the capital of the long restive province of Anbar.

Within months of the American departure, he was dismissed, he said, losing his salary and his pension, along with 124 other officers who had served alongside the Americans.

“The crisis of ISIS didn’t happen by chance,” Dulaimi said in an interview in Baghdad, using an acronym for the Islamic State. “It was the result of an accumulation of problems created by the Americans and the [Iraqi] government.”

He cited the case of a close friend, a former intelligence officer in Baghdad who was fired in 2003 and struggled for many years to make a living. He now serves as the Islamic State’s wali, or leader, in the Anbar town of Hit, Dulaimi said.

“I last saw him in 2009. He complained that he was very poor. He is an old friend, so I gave him some money,” he recalled. “He was fixable. If someone had given him a job and a salary, he wouldn’t have joined the Islamic State.

“There are hundreds, thousands like him,” he added. “The people in charge of military operations in the Islamic State were the best officers in the former Iraqi army, and that is why the Islamic State beats us in intelligence and on the battlefield.”

The Islamic State’s seizure of territory was also smoothed by the Maliki government’s broader persecution of the Sunni minority, which intensified after U.S. troops withdrew and left many ordinary Sunnis willing to welcome the extremists as an alternative to the often brutal Iraqi security forces.

But it was the influx of Baathist officers into the ranks of the Islamic State itself that propelled its fresh military victories, said Hashem. By 2013, Baghdadi had surrounded himself with former officers, who oversaw the Islamic State’s expansion in Syria and drove the offensives in Iraq.

Last edited:
Probably both although baathist military expertise is overated they lost to iran badly when iran was a wreck when your armoured units are routed by light infantry ( you have a tank the otherside doesnt and its wide open plain desert its takes a special kind of skill to lose). They also lost ground to the kurds even with chemical weapons.
Brutality though they are the leading experts on that though:mad::eek:
During the 1st gulf war everyone expected the iraqis to put up a massive fight and it too be a bloodbath it turned into a live fire exercise with live targets.
The iraqi army failed at the most simple tasks same in 2003 even the republican guard was little more than a pushover.
The resistance mostly caused casualties with bombs or with snipers if it stood and fought it died horribly.

Last edited:
Those Spanish Communists who went to Ukraine to fight against/alongside fascists have now put in an appearance in Syria alongside the YPG. I wonder who they'd side with in a regime vs YPG situation?

edit: may not be the same group actually - this one, apparently, is Hoxhaist, which would make sense if the reports of them fighting side by side with MLKP members.

Last edited:
Those Spanish Communists who went to Ukraine to fight against/alongside fascists have now put in an appearance in Syria alongside the YPG. I wonder who they'd side with in a regime vs YPG situation?

edit: may not be the same group actually - this one, apparently, is Hoxhaist, which would make sense if the reports of them fighting side by side with MLKP members.

I posted a vid featuring Paco Arcadio several months back IIRC

This latest developement in the refugee camp is just heart-wrenching. Haven't the Palestinians suffered enough?
Couldn't this be seen as the point where ISIS, and Islamism more broadly, starts eating itself? A good part of Muslim indignation towards the west surely comes from recognition of Palestinian suffering.

Couldn't this be seen as the point where ISIS, and Islamism more broadly, starts eating itself? A good part of Muslim indignation towards the west surely comes from recognition of Palestinian suffering.

But regimes who have encouraged the growth of islamism have always treated the palestinians appallingly. In addition the palestinian issue was always used to try to cover up corruption at home. They are without many allies in the region, israel and saudi have a similar foreign policy which means that the palestinians are getting screwed over. I think the other states in the region never gave a shit about the palestinians and now the public opinion has shifted allowing them to be a lot more overt about it:(

Back
Top Bottom