Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Islamic state

R-3979078-1351243798-7680.jpeg.jpg

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure myself. It's something I'm finding hard to put in words. Basically it seems that not every single person in the world can find their own meaning in life, for various reasons. So they turn to things like religion, cults, conspiracy theories and so forth. However, as we can see in the world today, those are not without considerable shortcomings.

Secular Humanism as an explicit life stance (as opposed mere irreligion) would seem to qualify.

Struggling a bit but you seem to be saying we ( in the West) have drifted into a pointless materialistic existence?

Struggling a bit but you seem to be saying we ( in the West) have drifted into a pointless materialistic existence?

I'd rather describe it as empty or petty (on a cosmic scale) rather than pointless, but yes, that's kind of the gist of it, as long as you mean materialistic in the sense of desperately acquiring stuff rather than philosophical materialism. I don't think spirits exist but I do think that spirituality exists, if that makes any sense.

Well, taking out local leaders and spreading fear in the ranks usually takes place before siege/attempted taking of city - rudaw speaks largely for KRG whose peshmerga are knocking on the doors (whether they go in and ifo so, with who, is a matter of current debate). This has to happen really. Bit like this had to happen (the resistance action, not the massacre).

Misguided, I'd say. And not a great show for the authorities; a mutual school-friend of the 3 went to the IS in December and all 3 have, apparently, be spoken to by the OB. The story also suggests a certain degree of gullibility and naivety on the part of the parents.

stupid, stupid girls.

I don't mean to derail as the thread is very interesting at the moment, with great contributions, but the two quotes above don't go well with me. They sound naive and even sexist in a paternalistic way.

Are we to believe that the men who go are scum yet the women are victims, naive, stupid stupid and misguided? They are scum, too. If you don't hate them you are not reacting in a natural way. Personally, I hate them.

I don't mean to derail as the thread is very interesting at the moment, with great contributions, but the two quotes above don't go well with me. They sound naive and even sexist in a paternalistic way.

Are we to believe that the men who go are scum yet the women are victims, naive, stupid stupid and misguided? They are scum, too. If you don't hate them you are not reacting in a natural way. Personally, I hate them.
They are (legally) children. They are 15 year old school students...and you hate them. Hmmm

They are (legally) children. They are 15 year old school students...and you hate them. Hmmm

They are NOT 15 year school students. They are members of the Daesh. They ceased being children or school students the minute they arrived at their "chosen" destination, where innocent human beings are being burned to death, women raped, children sold and gay men executed by being thrown off buildings and then stoned to death.

Some fucking school trip.

They are NOT 15 year school students. They are members of the Daesh. They ceased being children or school students the minute they arrived at their "chosen" destination, where innocent human beings are being burned to death, women raped, children sold and gay men executed by being thrown off buildings and then stoned to death.

Some fucking school trip.
Wow. Not sure we see this in quite the same way tbh.

theres a difference between some 14 year old who doesnt know shit about the world and an ideological mouthpiece like mahmood who is 20 years old and knew v well what she was doing.

the teenage years can be a very vulnerable time in ones life and the internet is dangerous in that it can depersonalise whats going on and you can end up easily being able to get into contact and be contacted by very dangerous people. When your a teenager you think know everything when you're actually incredibly fucking stupid, or at least i was.

It's hardly as if they chose Daesh in a sober assessment of the merits of various career choices.

What's waiting for them out there is likely to be horrendous too, and their chances of making it back aren't great.
That may make some people feel better about it, come to think of it...

They are 15 ffs, I'd think the same of a 15 year old lad. They are victims of grooming, same way as the kids who were raped (with complicity of South Yorkshire Police) on an industrial scale in Rotherham.

15 year old wannabee hoolies - i see them every weekend, wannabee and 15 - being key. This isn't the fingers of ISIS in the west but a conjunction of a lot of things - one of them being rejection. What that rejection is full of is the key. From the profound to the most pathetic to the most principled. From family, to school, to work etc Bit of nuance here annuder.

i've read some of those isis womens blogs And twitter accounts. as a feminist, no problems in calling them scum, filth, reminiscent of nazi ideologues in their single minded and fixated fanaticism. 14 year old kids of either sex, not so much.

I don't think I have the stomach for these blogs myself - is it recruitment propaganda stuff mostly and do they go into the aims of the group - how they see the fight progressing and their ultimate goals? And if they do, does it look generally consistent?

15 year old wannabee hoolies - i see them every weekend, wannabee and 15 - being key. This isn't the fingers of ISIS in the west but a conjunction of a lot of things - one of them being rejection. What that rejection is full of is the key. From the profound to the most pathetic to the most principled. From family, to school, to work etc Bit of nuance here annuder.

Interesting but off the mark comparison.
Here is a photo of some 15 year old wannabes we prepared before the programme. Not hateful at all at all

from what i saw of aqsa mahmoods blog a lot of it was mental mastubation going into the minutia of the sunnah and hadiths in order to justify what isis was doing and a lot of 'advice' emotional, financial etc to young girls thinking of joining them.

from what i saw of aqsa mahmoods blog a lot of it was mental mastubation going into the minutia of the sunnah and hadiths in order to justify what isis was doing and a lot of 'advice' emotional, financial etc to young girls thinking of joining them.

I've read a few of those things they come out with - the ones I've seen have been bizarre.
So weird scriptural contortions, agony-aunting and travel advice largely?

Was wondering as since about a month ago when we were talking about the aims of the group I'd been doing a wee bit of digging - they have their own clerics which seem to provide the 'big vision' stuff but I wasn't sure if that got broadcast on blogs of this kind or whether you had to arrive to get fully immersed in it.

Back
Top Bottom