Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - the original version

HAL9000

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, the original version is on radio 4 extra...

it starts at around 6 minutes and 30 seconds

Despite the fact it was recorded in the 1970s, long before the internet was available to the general public, I think Douglas Adams did a good job. Wikipedia entry say...

Future predictions
While Adams' writing in The Hitchiker's Guide was mostly to poke fun at scientific advance, such as through the artificial personalities built into the work's robots, Adams had predicted some concepts that have since come to be reality. The Guide itself, described as a small book-sized object that held a great volume of information, predated computer laptops and is comparable to tablet computers. The idea of being able to instantaneously translate between any language, a function provided by the Babel Fish, has since become possible with several software products that work in near real-time.[

0540597c334ec10dc80ff85c965be4c6.jpg

There's not much that I get really nostalgic about, but this radio series left a deep impression on me after my older brother introduced me to it. I was 11 and he was 15 and it was a brilliant shared experience, the excitement of a new episode, the endless listening back to the tapes and quoting our favourite bits. It will always be really special to me.

my folks taped it off the radio when it aired and i know it virtually word-for-word (except the magrathea bit with the mice, that tape went awol).

does the bbc still have a radiophonic workshop?

Incidentally, earlier this week I discovered that the theme is a cover of an eagles song. That was a surprise.

There's not much that I get really nostalgic about, but this radio series left a deep impression on me after my older brother introduced me to it. I was 11 and he was 15 and it was a brilliant shared experience, the excitement of a new episode, the endless listening back to the tapes and quoting our favourite bits. It will always be really special to me.
It was/is great in my house too. The whole family sat in silence with grins on our faces.

Back
Top Bottom