Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I take the garden fork to mine. Run it just below the ground surface and the roots come out reasonably easy. I find it quite therapeutic because you pull a strand and you see the end of it several yards away coming towards you. It doesn't seem to be like brambles where if you leave any part of the root it regrows. Bit harder when the stems get really thick admittedly.
Thanks, is this a better method than using chemicals?

Not tried using chemicals, I'm sure roundup would fix them although I've only used it on japanese knotweed. Personally I'd try pulling it out and do your planting and see what remains for next year. As I say, the roots don't seem to regenerate if you go down a bit. Someone may come along with better advice though.

Just spent the weekend, raking some ground and sowing some seed, in preparation for what will be our wildflower area. (I am loving a garden just large enough to make it interesting)

Just spent the weekend, raking some ground and sowing some seed, in preparation for what will be our wildflower area. (I am loving a garden just large enough to make it interesting)
This is how I feel. I've never been into gardening before, despite coming from a family obsessed by it. Now however, I'm a bit obsessed. :oops:
Haven't got a clue what I'm doing of course but that's half the fun I think.

I bought an apple tree yesterday (my Mum gave me birthday money for one 3 years ago) and planted it. What are the chances of it actually growing apples this year? I have blossom buds already but I'm prepared for it too just look pretty.

Not tried using chemicals, I'm sure roundup would fix them although I've only used it on japanese knotweed. Personally I'd try pulling it out and do your planting and see what remains for next year. As I say, the roots don't seem to regenerate if you go down a bit. Someone may come along with better advice though.
I have bought some Round Up Ultra. It says you can spray the bad stuff and plant again within 24 hours. It is Glyphosate free and kills the roods according to the hype. I have just given it a good dosing and hope to be able to plant at the weekend

Last edited:
First bit of proper gardening done in my back garden. Only moved in 10 months ago!

I was never that good at gardening when I had a garden a few years ago but I’ve definitely forgotten whatever I knew.

Starting with the basics, I bought a pot, two plants and some compost, and some plant food. I already had the brown pot.

CD69A7E4-104A-434A-92CA-603EBA196C68.jpegD1B65BFB-64B1-434E-9FFB-B59DC48C6418.jpeg

I’ve planted some Lavender and a Choisya in the pots. I noticed I’m still a clumsy and messy worker. Its a start - I don’t want to do too much until I have the hard landscaping is done.

But it means I’ve got a reason to get outside every day. My fitness doesn’t really allow for more than an hours gardening at a time anyway.

8DEA3C21-004C-449D-9EAD-479170C7FE9F.jpeg

Quite proud of rigging up my outside tap so make it easier to fill a watering can using a spare recycling box and some breeze blocks. Work smarter not harder.

Last edited:
First bit of proper gardening done in my back garden. Only moved in 10 months ago!

I was never that good at gardening when I had a garden a few years ago but I’ve definitely forgotten whatever I knew.

Starting with the basics, I bought a pot, two plants and some compost, and some plant food. I already had a plant left over.

View attachment 371866View attachment 371867

I’ve planted some Lavender and a Choisya in the pots. I noticed I’m still a clumsy and messy worker. Its a start - I don’t want to do too much until I have the hard landscaping is done.

But it means I’ve got a reason to get outside every day. My fitness doesn’t really allow for more than an hours gardening at a time anyway.

View attachment 371865

Quite proud of rigging up my outside tap so make it easier to fill a watering can using a spare recycling box and some breeze blocks. Work smarter not harder.
That choisya has got a lovely shaped leaf. Mine are your bog standard ones, the leaves look a bit 'privetty'.
My watering can also needs a brick to reach the waterbutt nozzle.
Well done on making the start!

That choisya has got a lovely shaped leaf. Mine are your bog standard ones, the leaves look a bit 'privetty'.
My watering can also needs a brick to reach the waterbutt nozzle.
Well done on making the start!
Thanks.

Next to do is probably a trough along this section of patio, not sure what I will plant here though. There’s a bit of a dip so water pools here when it rains, it drains away quickly. But think I can use those pot feet underneath to mitigate

EB9D1DFC-13CE-40C6-9D3A-94EEEBBC1622.jpeg

Lovely day for it in south london. Mowed the lawn. Lots of hoeing. Preparing more space for plants.
Got three varieties of tomatoes needing to go out when it’s warmer. I miss a cold frame but can’t find any reasonable quality at a reasonable price.

Planted some more stuff in the back in pots. This corner of the patio dips a little and has water pooling during heavy rain, it soaks away gradually. I should probably lift the slab at some point and raise the level of it a bit.

Anyway, I’ve put some stuff in pots on some bricks and breeze blocks I found in the garden. Hopefully it will distract from the dip, and provide some colour up the dull fence

IMG_6580.jpeg

I reckon a trough of something might go well here too and conceal the dip - I will perhaps move some of the pots to the new patio when it’s done

sex in the shrubbery - despite having a minuscule garden, there are currently 2 sets of birds in it. There is a dunnock nest in the ivy with what seems like a hoard of parents - I can often see 3 at a time and think there is one on the nest (polygynandry?), However, less chuffed that the wood pigeons are back in the ceonothus. They were there last year, when I was quite pleased, having never, to my knowledge, seen baby pigeons. Well yes, because by the time they fledge, they look just like adult pigeons - not even much smaller.

If you're a fan of birdwatching, the Ealing peregrine falcons have just had two chicks hatch (there were 4 eegs but it seems two are not viable). I named the parents - they're called Duty and Freddie and they live on Ealing Hospital. 24 hour live video:

You can scroll back over the previous 12 hours too to see any action.

Thanks! This is certainly its best year so far. I spent a few hours yesterday too, and have done a new lawn area and broken ground on my long-planned wildlife pond. Finally physically able enough to do some things I've been wanting to do for ages! And with Santino and my daughter's help, it gets done so much quicker.

Back
Top Bottom