Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I wish I had put some lawn seed down in the patchy garden before we got a fuck ton of rain instead of right after...
I am removing huge amounts of cow parsley and dumping any seed I can in the hole caused. Better than that shit taking over again. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good, or progress in general. Seed costs bugger all and if any takes its better than nothing for patching.

You could buy the wood and make for cheaper but not by much. Give it a spray of preservatives on the outside.
I got some wood preservative that claimed not to have harmful chemicals in. The advertising message that sold it to me was along the lines of 'we tested it against the other preservatives and it was no worse'. :)

I've always treated wood that's outside (shed and fences fair enough) but recently read someone say that at end of life how do you then get rid of it?

I got some wood preservative that claimed not to have harmful chemicals in. The advertising message that sold it to me was along the lines of 'we tested it against the other preservatives and it was no worse'. :)

I've always treated wood that's outside (shed and fences fair enough) but recently read someone say that at end of life how do you then get rid of it?
My council housing person suggested I get rid of the plasterboard in the shed (don't ask, not me). By leaving it in the rain til it was pliable and binning it. I had them test for asbestos incase but none thankfully.

We got a frost last night. I expect all my tender plants are fucked.
When I was growing veg on allotments in England the things that made life a misery were :

frost
blight
pigeons eating brassicas
carrot fly ( but I found a way to limit that)
cabbage whites

Only have a problem with cabbage whites here

Digging out one of the neglected beds, I've discovered the soil is all full of builder's sand :rolleyes: Presumably it happened when they were here putting the fence up last year. Will I have to dig it all out, will it affect the growing success of whatever i plant in here?

I am removing huge amounts of cow parsley and dumping any seed I can in the hole caused. Better than that shit taking over again. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good, or progress in general. Seed costs bugger all and if any takes its better than nothing for patching.
I love cow parsley...its like a lace cuff all along the lanes where I used to live.

Hmm - with my "gardener" the next door neighbour's son having vanished I am left with this in my one bed:
1681377849320.jpeg

Other than weeding: three questions I have are: Does anyone know what plant this is?! Should I be pruning it? Should I be trying to put it back against the wall... As things are its leaning outwards towards the sun..

Secondly:
1681377976630.png

These are the same as the plants in previous photo but have got less sun - Err, I'm assuming that they are dead now?! So I guess I should remove them.

And, yeah, I will be weeding the rest of the bed. :facepalm:
Thanks for any advice - I'll be visiting my dad this weekend who will no doubt tell me what to do..

Can you post a more close-up photo Hollis that's just a green blur when I try to zoom in to see what the leaves are like (and I can't see any of the plant I think you mean in the second picture, apart from one on the very right which doesn't look at all dead..?)

I think the one scrambling up the wall in the top photo might be a Pyracantha Hollis
Does it have large spikes?

I love cow parsley...its like a lace cuff all along the lanes where I used to live.
It looks fine, just in my garden lol. Stuff spreads like crazy, trying to get more wild flowers/clover/plants I actually want in the garden. The gunnera has just sprouted extremely quickly, few days ago its nothing, now its like a foot long in 7 places!

As the other raised beds are out of stock, whats wrong with these? Apart from being metal.

I have got ivy sprawling all over a patch of ground I want to plant on. Proper rooted in. What is the best way of dealing with it permanently?

Reactions: tim
I take the garden fork to mine. Run it just below the ground surface and the roots come out reasonably easy. I find it quite therapeutic because you pull a strand and you see the end of it several yards away coming towards you. It doesn't seem to be like brambles where if you leave any part of the root it regrows. Bit harder when the stems get really thick admittedly.

Back
Top Bottom