Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Stupidly large crop of blackcurrants down my plot this year - seems what they needed was the brutal cutting back they got midwinter. Picked 1/2 a kilo a few hours ago without really breaking a sweat. Wondering what to do with them - initial ideas are icecream, cordial and gin liqueur...View attachment 331984

Best use I found for them was jam tbh, not overly fond of them otherwise. Still got two jars from last year's crop (I'm saving them for when I've room to get a toaster, the rest went wonderfully on porridge over winter)

Best use I found for them was jam tbh, not overly fond of them otherwise. Still got two jars from last year's crop (I'm saving them for when I've room to get a toaster, the rest went wonderfully on porridge over winter)
Totally agree re blackcurrant jam - I'd never pick it to put on toast, but a dollop on porridge or rice pudding is amazing.

Inherited loads of blackcurrent plants in the garden but they've never fruited. Someone said they're wild ones or something that don't fruit. Nice flowers though.

Pink yes but not really very big. I'd always assumed they were just too old to set fruit but I've no idea really. I did a quick search for blackcurrents that don't fruit but the results were all talking about fruit setting only on last year's wood.

Pink yes but not really very big. I'd always assumed they were just too old to set fruit but I've no idea really. I did a quick search for blackcurrents that don't fruit but the results were all talking about fruit setting only on last year's wood.
Might be another Ribes, sanguinem maybe?

(in theory they grow red -iirc- currants, but not always ime. The one I rehomed this spring had never even flowered before)

Ah flowering current rings a bell, thanks. I'll take more notice of it - I've always been slightly disappointed that it didn't fruit.

If you do want blackcurrants I'm happy to send some cuttings in the winter, though it'd be a few years before you'd get any fruit off them.

Should I be worried about these black spots on the leaves of my new clematis? It’s only a month old.

62422615-C4A3-4E1A-84C7-5AD4307E2698.jpeg3A89E0DE-7E58-4415-8022-2B442C0FDA47.jpeg

My fav marrow recipe involves scraping out every trace of marrow and refilling with spiced lamb and veg and roasting in the bbq.

Even this size they are still fine grated in salad. I'm trying to strike a balance.
My eye spotted a summer squash earlier ... :eek:
Once the runner beans get started, cycling to my sister's will be a regular event.
Maybe I should stop feeding them my bath water ...

My garden is embarrassingly lush at the moment but it comes at a hugely guilty cost. Namely, the amount of water I am using. On .y phone so forced to be brief, but much .ore waffling in the post.

Attachments

• IMG_20220719_130259.jpg
    IMG_20220719_130259.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220719_130013.jpg
    IMG_20220719_130013.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220719_125847.jpg
    IMG_20220719_125847.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220719_130042.jpg
    IMG_20220719_130042.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220719_125928.jpg
    IMG_20220719_125928.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 20
My garden is embarrassingly lush at the moment but it comes at a hugely guilty cost. Namely, the amount of water I am using.
You and me both.
I may have to seriously reconsider the Joe Pye next year unless I'm prepared to dig up the path its container is sitting on.
Ditto the miscanthus....

Have moved my herbs off their preferred sunny windowsill spot for the rest of the day, the pots themselves were really hot to the touch and I would prefer to only cook them when I am ready to include them in a recipe :D

They still have sunlight, but not close to the window.

Back
Top Bottom