Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I'm going to be having a training blitz on all my climbers over the next day or two - this morning I found one of my front garden morning glories had yanked the drip irrigation tube away from one of my ricinuses and was half way up the trunk .... and my squashes are demonstrating their contempt for being planted in the shade, and shooting out in inconvenient directions.

I can see why morning glories are considered invasive in large chunks of the USA - they start off so tentatively, but once they reach the light, they don't mess around.

I hope my problem neighbour doesn't learn that the pretty flowers on the shared fence make seeds containing lysergic acid... in certain places I would already get lynched for my daturas and brugmansias ...

I'm slightly worried some idiot will steal those cleomes when I plant them by my front gate because of their appearance and smell ...
(they're actually in the cabbage family - nearest relative - capers ...)

squashyshoot.jpg

Bad night for garden last nights. My tomato plants were stripped bare of leaves and stalks. Only small yellow flowers were present, no tomato fruits:mad:
What animal (suburban setting, not too many deer close by...) would eat only tomato leaves and vines?
How can I help the plants recover? Triple strength miracle-gro?
Thank you for any help you can offer...

Bad night for garden last nights. My tomato plants were stripped bare of leaves and stalks. Only small yellow flowers were present, no tomato fruits:mad:
What animal (suburban setting, not too many deer close by...) would eat only tomato leaves and vines?
How can I help the plants recover? Triple strength miracle-gro?
Thank you for any help you can offer...
You can't force a plant to regenerate by giving it crazy amounts of food it can't use - in fact it would likely be counter-productive ... so just water ...
Tomatoes are pretty amazing for sprouting new shoots - I hope yours does :)
There's so much hyperbole expressed about the toxicity of the solanaceae - I'm fairly sure there's an Italian recipe that uses the leaves ...

You can't force a plant to regenerate by giving it crazy amounts of food it can't use - in fact it would likely be counter-productive ... so just water ...
There's so much hyperbole expressed about the toxicity of the solanaceae - I'm fairly sure there's an Italian recipe that uses the leaves ...
I suspect a wood chuck enjoyed my night shade leaves last night :snarl:

Thanks for the advice. The plants get good sun. I'll water regularly and hope for the best.
Where were the stray cats I feed when I needed them?:(

Now this is proper string !
Two plies - each a cotton thread wrapped with coir.
As used to support hops.
My tomatoes, beans and sweet peas will love this :)

stringwithinset.jpg

Last edited:
My eldest rocked up with a giftie - a variegated brugmansia (supposedly a super-rare US import - 'Katrin Bonte'), gentlegreen . I had a massive greenhouse clear-up which inspired me to take a photo of the garden from my kitchen window. I have also included a somewhat fuzzy photo of a millefleur tomato. The size of each truss is quite astonishing - more than a hundred tomatoes in a single floret.

Attachments

• IMG_20220714_191946.jpg
    IMG_20220714_191946.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220714_191825.jpg
    IMG_20220714_191825.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220714_192309.jpg
    IMG_20220714_192309.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 23
Do they all set?

I over-fed one of those little yellow gardener's delight types one year and it was rammed with fruit, but so dense that air couldn't circulate and it got blight. Still nothing on yours.
Yep, this one has yellow, cherry sized tomatoes which I roast with Black Cherry and Chadwick Cherry and eat with chunks of focaccia. I have a supposedly original Gardener's Delight from Ireland, going by the name of Gardener's Ecstasy. We will see, but it certainly has the vigour of Gardener's Delight. I usually do a few early potato leaf types, (to try and miss the blight) so would expect to pick the first ones around now. However, not growing any at the allotment, just 9 in the greenhouse, so I didn't bother with the likes of Matina. No chance of getting a ripe tomato till the 1st or 2nd week in August.

My eldest rocked up with a giftie - a variegated brugmansia (supposedly a super-rare US import - 'Katrin Bonte'), gentlegreen .
I wish I'd treated myself to some decent cultivars, but I wasn't planning to be gardening in 2020 - never mind 2022 - and realistically at least 2023 as well ...
I joined a FB brug group, but ran out of interest because I was regarded as "odd" when I said I grew principally for fragrance ...

Well this was a pleasant surprise :)
Somehow I'd completely forgotten to label my brugs when I brought them in last winter and I feared the biggest plant was the yellow one ...
I also rooted two branches I accidentally snapped-off, so I will have some in the back garden too in a month's time :)
Not the smelliest brug I ever grew, but it will hopefully add to the mix that starts with trachelospermum and begonias - plus nicotianas (for as long as they survive), lilies, and later on daturas and mirabilis ("four o'clock" / "Marvel of Peru" ) ...
And my cleomes will go in next to the gate ...

And with luck, also ipomoea alba :)
EDIT:- oops - I forgot the two sweet pea cones ...

itspink.jpg

pinkstuff.jpg

trachelospermum, mirabilis and datura

marvel.jpg
I think I can probably compete with campanula for crowded :D
I'm probably going to leave the netting at 3 metres ...

chaos.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of young blue tits and great tits this year, the long tailed tits are back as are the chaffinches and nuthatches, a couple of huge crows, sounds like a young barn owl very close when I take Frankie out at night, and there was a lesser spotted woodpecker on the feeder yesterday.

These two visitors the other night:

View attachment Rec_20220615_010120_151_M.mp4

And this one: first I've seen in the garden since I moved here, is huuuuuge: :eek:

View attachment Rec_20220615_034332_151_M.mp4

My tomatoes are starting to show orange colours. All the peppers are doing really well.
What variety of tomato ?
My super-suckery "Gardener's Delights" are setting trusses, but I don't think they'll think about ripening anything until I get my proposed rope structure in place and pinch them out at six feet ...
the other issue is there are far too many plants too close together and sharing the bed with nasturtiums and morning glories ..

I went to Lidl for ice and beer and bought this hand held hedge trimmers, grass cutter, edger device. It’s so good I keep braving the sun to tidy up my border edges.
Best garden gadget ever, far better than a strimmer . I could cut hair at this rate. View attachment 333061
Hmmm we have a bush thing at the end of our gardens that grows to big maybe this would be a good tool to have.

I went to Lidl for ice and beer and bought this hand held hedge trimmers, grass cutter, edger device. It’s so good I keep braving the sun to tidy up my border edges.
Best garden gadget ever, far better than a strimmer . I could cut hair at this rate. View attachment 333061
I've got one of those too. They're really useful. I edge the lawn with it and cut the short bits of hedge and 'topiary' with. I hardly ever use the strimmer now.

Back
Top Bottom