Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Working back from order towards disorder ...
This morning I have been compressing and consolidating the green waste pile by the house .
I will shortly sign up to the council green waste service and should get shot of it within six months...

In the first instance it's to maximise the "patio area", but also so I can get my rain and grey water harvesting sorted out as part of the drip irrigation scheme - but also because later in the week I will be visiting a local builder's merchant for a couple of lengths of 65mm square downpipe with a view to doubling or even tripling my salad production.
Every additional couple of metres of channel extension costs me 40mm's worth of pump pressure so I need to get it right.

newhydro.jpg

Last edited:
After a bit of rearrangement it looks like I need my NFT to start with the 2.5 metre diagonal, then drop in two stages down to my original channel - so I'll put my hearting lettuces at the top and the cut and come again at the lower levels where I don't have to stand on things to reach them :)
It means the feed point is pretty well where it is now, but a little higher...
I hope I don't lose too much in the way of flow....

hydroplan.png

Day one of my 2 weeks of gardening leave...

Another hardy geranium bites the dust, replaced by a hebe Red Edge. It's all about structure throughout the year and I don't like empty looking beds in the winter months. Plus this garden was wall-to-wall hardy geraniums (and poorly roses) when I moved here.

Several roses and delphiniums got staked and tied up....

I potted up a bunch of succulents in a gravel pot for the patio table, managed to get cactus needles in my hand through my gloves.

Potted up the sempervivums that I bought as a kit a few months back. 10 plants of 7 varieties for a couple of quid, so not bad.

... and the bed in the veg garden that had onions until a few days ago got rebooted and now hosts some fagiolini nano.

By the time I'd got started, suddenly it was too hot again. :p

I'm making provision for visiting the builder's merchants for three 2.5 metre lengths of 65mm square downspout and one right angle connector.
Since I have to leave room to raise the water butt as high as possible, I'm having to use a tensile strut hanging off the 3x2 wall plate instead of a diagonal compression brace for the length of 2x2 needed to support the corner.

The challenge is going to be to make the three connections without wasting too much height. I bought silicone, hopefully any acetic acid that manages to get into the system will help correct my PH ....

newNFTplans.png

Back from the plumbing supplies place - I'm proud of myself - I haggled :)
I still paid a bit more than Screwfix, but they only supply packs of six locally - or in black - and I'm trying not to accumulate stuff - even if it's cheap.
As it is I will have two generous offcuts to find a creative use for...
I have no idea why I bought so much squareline guttering AND corner pieces in the past for a house that has 3 meters of gutter - but that makes the interface from the new stuff easier and the new pipe can just rest in it on its gentle downhill slope ...
My initial section of gutter rammed into a flattened sewer pipe looks a bit odd now - but it works - and the gutter has water-guiiding striations whereas the downspout doesn't.
In the unlikely event that I decide the water flow is a bit twitchy I can get "spreader mat" very cheaply - though that is frowned upon by NFT purists - and once the roots are established it becomes academic anyway ...

But on the way back I was adding it up - £10 for a length of gutter, say 10 lettuces worth 50p each every 6 to 8 weeks through the summer ...

I am almost certain to use my stash of polycarbonate sheet to build a long greenhouse over the first section to extend the season ...

newpipe.png

Last edited:
Aldi's salad had actual watercress in it today
🙂

So I now have :-
Bits of the original plants that went to seed sitting in my NFT, seedlings from seeds I harvested from those plants and lovely fresh cuttings
🙂

I'm taking no chances
🙂

cressy3small.jpg

So, what happens when you stuff a tiny walled yard with too many plants. For a start, they stretch skywards and loom, menacingly over your head.
I take loads of pics...but when it comes to uploading them to here, they are the size of a petit poius and I cannot see a bloody thing...so I just stab away and post any old pics. Naturally, the ones I (ahem) select are the worst. I probably should take ONE photo, then decide whether to upload it (or not, most likely) rather than blindly hoping I have summat representative of my garden...although, tbf, these mish-mash pics actually are fairly representative, but I would much prefer an edited version (without hoses lying around, visible toilets, garden rubbish and so on). Hey ho. I really wanted to show the absolutely gigantic (unruly) larkspurs...so may have another go-round as they are quite extraordinary (and not necessarily in a nice way).

Attachments

• IMG_20220621_183209.jpg
    IMG_20220621_183209.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220621_183113.jpg
    IMG_20220621_183113.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220621_183025.jpg
    IMG_20220621_183025.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20220621_182924.jpg
    IMG_20220621_182924.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Do you "own" all those plants in your head ?
Even with my limited number of species, it sometimes feels like spinning plates ...

These Gardener's Delight are serious old-school indeterminate tomatoes.
I turned my back and the side shoots almost had flowers and sideshoots so I had to saw down a 5 litre water bottle to root them in - I now have two large airpumps going full-pelt in the bathroom ...

All being well I will help out my neighbour and half the street with late tomato plants !

shoots.jpg

Last edited:
And today I went to the sorting office for my "parcel" and wondered if it was something I'd forgotten I ordered ...
But no, it was my five fuchsia thalias and five lavenders :facepalm:
Beautifully rooted plugs though.
(Swanley Village Nursery, )
The Lobelias on the right started out a little bit smaller and sulked for a bit so were held back ... ... so I may yet get some enjoyment from the fuchsias at least ... the ones in my baskets I bought ages ago are starting to flower, but are very small still ...

My amaranthus are going to easily beat them though ...

miniplugs.jpg

Last edited:
Back from the plumbing supplies place - I'm proud of myself - I haggled :)
I still paid a bit more than Screwfix, but they only supply packs of six locally - or in black - and I'm trying not to accumulate stuff - even if it's cheap.
As it is I will have two generous offcuts to find a creative use for...
I have no idea why I bought so much squareline guttering AND corner pieces in the past for a house that has 3 meters of gutter - but that makes the interface from the new stuff easier and the new pipe can just rest in it on its gentle downhill slope ...
My initial section of gutter rammed into a flattened sewer pipe looks a bit odd now - but it works - and the gutter has water-guiiding striations whereas the downspout doesn't.
In the unlikely event that I decide the water flow is a bit twitchy I can get "spreader mat" very cheaply - though that is frowned upon by NFT purists - and once the roots are established it becomes academic anyway ...

But on the way back I was adding it up - £10 for a length of gutter, say 10 lettuces worth 50p each every 6 to 8 weeks through the summer ...

I am almost certain to use my stash of polycarbonate sheet to build a long greenhouse over the first section to extend the season ...

View attachment 328315
Your garden was a clean slate with new fences. Looks like a big crane has dumped shit it in now. You got to grip the big picture!

Back
Top Bottom