Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Since we got a fence the cats have come back and love using our bed as a litter tray! Put some stakes in my bog garden so they are avoiding that. Do any of the powders or gimicky alarm things work?

Was a bit wet overnight, so the garden's too damp for much work just yet.

I have a few things in mind that I can do while I'm waiting for things to dry off ...

We did four 4 foot panels down the sides and have made up the difference with 6 foot feather-edge near the houses.

Now that I have a surfeit of linear references, I'm starting to be able to see what soil needs moving where. The fence has been set a little above the bit of garden path and level with the neighbour on the left's deck and there are gaps down the right hand side a small person could get through - never mind cats and foxes ...

Hopefully I can get it roughly level this weekend. I know it's late, but I still feel inclined to plant most of the area with peas - if only to get some nitrogen and structure - and I might at least get some shoots - though once the fence was up the whole area filled with cock-sure pigeons so I may well need to net the whole lot or find a hungry non-vegan with a .22 rifle :hmm:

Then it will be squashes, beans, hydro greens and tomatoes in the sunny bit on the right and purple sprouting broccoli at the shady end .from summer into winter.
This isn't driven by any expectation of saving money at Aldi, but I'm tempted to put in maincrop carrots... somewhere.
I'm undecided what style to deploy. I will hopefully have lots of nasturtiums and tagetes to brighten things up ...

The area looks suspiciously like a dance floor now - and with my WIFI reaching to the end and a whole load of mains cable going spare, I am very tempted to deploy some WIFI controlled lighting ... I'm going to need a mains supply for the hydro pump ...

fencenearlydone.png somme2.jpg
gardenmess.jpg
jardin-fleuriste-et-potager.jpg potagerpalt.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just gonna spam some garden pics

Have a lot more tulips out too and the apple is coming into leaf and the blue tits are chomping on the blossom buds :mad:

Yes I'm in London!

Attachments

• IMG_20220413_142530893.jpg
    IMG_20220413_142530893.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220408_133902336.jpg
    IMG_20220408_133902336.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220408_133618460.jpg
    IMG_20220408_133618460.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220408_133824168.jpg
    IMG_20220408_133824168.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220408_133542532.jpg
    IMG_20220408_133542532.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220408_133848090.jpg
    IMG_20220408_133848090.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220413_142416142.jpg
    IMG_20220413_142416142.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220408_133521204.jpg
    IMG_20220408_133521204.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220408_133510506.jpg
    IMG_20220408_133510506.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 8
My gardens are mostly in embryo form at the moment ...

I'm off to Screwfix in a bit to collect a cheap (£29) S&J fork and spade - having destroyed all mine recently extracting giant grasses.
My soil is sandy, and I only need to get a year or two out of them and if they turn out to be useless I will walk around the corner and get a refund. My usual digging implement is a long-handled pointy shovel, but for the first time a spade may be the correct tool for levelling my bombsite of a garden. I will make amends for the soil disturbance by using as much as possible of my huge green waste pile as mulch once I have veggies in the ground ...

Can anyone please wean me off using only nasturtiums to cover my brand new fences ?
I suppose I have the tech to get morning glories off to a late start ...

I was slightly loathe to grow runner beans, but they will do for the sunny side since I'm perhaps sort of doing a "dig for victory" thing - helped by the neighbour's corrugated shed that sits on top of an actual Anderson shelter ... though that is morning sun only ... I suppose I ought to try to completely screen off the concrete shed ... I doubt they will care if I hang up netting ...

Since I'm sowing giant sunflowers, perhaps I could grow beans up them ... :hmm:

sheddyend.jpg

seedlingexponential.jpg

I suppose I ought to at least plant a few roots - though it takes a while to get going... it would be good to see my golden hop actually getting some sunshine - perhaps over that concrete block shed ...

Apparently people DO do a "3 sisters" type thing with beans and sunflowers, but I had better grow runners up canes and only grow French beans on the sunflowers ...

Last edited:
My gardens are mostly in embryo form at the moment ...

I'm off to Screwfix in a bit to collect a cheap (£29) S&J fork and spade - having destroyed all mine recently extracting giant grasses.
My soil is sandy, and I only need to get a year or two out of them and if they turn out to be useless I will walk around the corner and get a refund. My usual digging implement is a long-handled pointy shovel, but for the first time a spade may be the correct tool for levelling my bombsite of a garden. I will make amends for the soil disturbance by using as much as possible of my huge green waste pile as mulch once I have veggies in the ground ...

Can anyone please wean me off using only nasturtiums to cover my brand new fences ?
I suppose I have the tech to get morning glories off to a late start ...

I was slightly loathe to grow runner beans, but they will do for the sunny side since I'm perhaps sort of doing a "dig for victory" thing - helped by the neighbour's corrugated shed that sits on top of an actual Anderson shelter ... though that is morning sun only ... I suppose I ought to try to completely screen off the concrete shed ... I doubt they will care if I hang up netting ...

Since I'm sowing giant sunflowers, perhaps I could grow beans up them ... :hmm:

View attachment 318626

View attachment 318625
These are good for digging/levelling

Could also try climbing french beans rather than just runner beans , there are some courgette climbers , cucumber climbers, malabar spinach will climb and is worth having a try, there are also some tall peas ie Telephone , Leicester, Champion of England that grown 6-8 foot , there's also the cucumber related Cucamelon and Achocha that climb

At the moment it's looking like I will have to step the garden and extend 4 of the panels downwards using gravel boards ...
Large amounts of compost and bark have gone into this garden over the years and there's nothing much to show for it ...
Should Aldi get in any of their horrible compost or soil conditioner (1/10 mile and I have a trolley), I may go for it - or perhaps get a load delivered...

middayprogress.jpg

Personally, I'd ask campanula which one she recommends and get that. This is what I did last time and it worked out very well :) Check costs including delivery online - I often get them off ebay and price often includes delivery.

Arse. Next door chucked out a small wheelbarrow thing a while back and I looked at it for days thinking I would have no need.
I also chucked out all my mini greenhouse shelving last year - though I still have a cover I can bodge up ...
I'm starting to do back of envelope calculations and I may need to raise dozens of broccoli and kale plants somewhere..
The look of the garden is sadly liable to get spoiled by the need for netting against pigeons and other pests ...

Last edited:
I love this tulip so much. It's not meant to be here, everything else is very tasteful and white or similar colours. It snuck in with a bag of daffs and they mostly come up blind or flower really late, but spring comes along and up pops this bright red tulip in the middle of the border like fuuuck yoouuu
IMG_20220415_102850.jpg

I've grown both beans and peas up everything from dwarf to giant sunflowers gentlegreen, it works well ime as long as you use compatible sized plants.

I love this tulip so much. It's not meant to be here, everything else is very tasteful and white or similar colours. It snuck in with a bag of daffs and they mostly come up blind or flower really late, but spring comes along and up pops this bright red tulip in the middle of the border like fuuuck yoouuu
View attachment 318668

I've grown both beans and peas up everything from dwarf to giant sunflowers gentlegreen, it works well ime as long as you use compatible sized plants.
What a lovely place for a swing too.

Lots of tidying & weeding today plus planted spring onions , beetroot & artichokes which I have never grown before. Some flowers coming through & garden now tidy.

My partner has been on a quest to have a fire pit area that is smokeless & under cover & finally today he believes he has cracked it.

It was fabulous being outside in shorts & t-shirt.

Attachments

• 4521D220-4868-48AD-9AE7-D0FF60C5C965.jpeg
    4521D220-4868-48AD-9AE7-D0FF60C5C965.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom