Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I did bits today. Put in the native woodland seeds in one of the areas I cleared of ivy, trod it down a bit and watered it hopefully is going to rain tomorrow to water them in properly. Plus cut and weatherproofed the stakes I'll be using to put in the picket fence at the front to stop Frankie chasing squirrels into the path of oncoming traffic (not many cars but the idea gives me the heebies). And sorted out my other seeds to plant round the other areas I cleared of ivy and in pots and things.

Will be nice to do them so I can get onto other things on my April list. :thumbs:

no, don't ! - goats do not eat grass, they are browsers and will practically starve rather than eat grass.

They'll definitely eat grass clippings with gusto after you've cut the grass. I used to chuck mine over the fence into my neighbours garden and they loved it.

Mrs DA has told me I've got to do "something" with the front of our rural property. Though fuck knows what I could do with it. Olives? Lemon trees? Bonus wedgetail in the top right waiting for me to kill myself with a chainsaw so it can feast on what remains.

1649677284804.png

I found a datum point in my garden.
I dug down to cut off a concreted-in line post and found the path that I never saw in all the 38 years I've been here.

I vaguely remember the path being relatively level, but when I dug it up for a lawn decades ago it had been used to bury a whole load of crap - not least ancient fire-irons ...

To start with I plonked a brick on it and started using a spirit level to set in stakes ...
Is there a sensible strategy for this ?
The fencing materials are arriving tomorrow but we won't be doing anything until the weekend ...

datum.jpg

leveller2.jpg

Last edited:
And a bit late for Time Team :(

There's actually a plaque up the roadish from me marking a Roman something.
If my house had existed 2000 years ago and if I was somehow sitting in the room I'm in now and if I looked out of the window I would have seen a Roman road on the hillside opposite.

Assuming there weren't trees on the hillside as there are now! :D

ETA: Having looked at the research done by Ivan D Margary in the middle of the 20th Century it would appear that part of the Roman road (or at least it's path) is under the modern road I can see on the hillside opposite.

Last edited:
I'm only a stone's throw from the Bristol Avon, but the villas are right next to it and several miles apart.
Where I live was clearly always peasants ...

Getting a bit of plant envy, haven't touched the plot since September as intending to move this year and letting it go. Need to get on the waiting list soon as I move.

I sowed lots of seeds today. Green and yellow courgettes, 2 types of cucumber, cucamelon, broccoli, butternut squash, brussel sprouts, edamame and sweetcorn. My windowsill is full.
How do you get on growing Brussels sprouts ?
My soil here is very light.
My one great success with brassicas was a heavy clay allotment up the road that grew Autumn Kings the size of my head .. my other allotment was nearer and similarly sandy and one year I had more beetroot than I could use - perhaps I should grow some of those too ...

Since I eat so many sprouts I'm tempted now since I appear to be doing what I should have done years ago - throw all my creativity into the front garden and stuff the back garden full of veggies for maybe one last winter before I turn the whole thing into a lawn to sell it ...

Last edited:
Is it Roman?
In my neck of SW Northumberland ...
Dig a hole, and you are quite likely to find Roman - and as an extra bonus, Viking - remains, plus a few other eras.
Within "biscuit toss" of my back garden, there's the remains of a Roman Road which predates Hadrian's Wall. That's a little bit further north. Slightly closer, to the west is a large marching camp.

Jealous of those tulips Ron Merlin !

Too windy up here for anything other than dwarf varieties, and too many got broken / eaten by wildlife. So, I don't bother.

[When I'm fully retired, I might try some in containers ...]

I got tangled up in that once,it bloody hurts when it gets stuck to ya skin.. don't get me started on my long haired cat and my nightly De bobbling later in the year.
Aaaaaaaaah of course I never related the bobbling type things I had to pick off Cosmo with cleavers even though I've seen them on the plant.

I've also got wild onions which seem to be spreading madly. I'd eat them but they're quite deep and quite small. I may go and strim them. And the bloody spanish bluebells which I must soon attack with a garden fork to pull them up where possible.

Back
Top Bottom