Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Yep sympathies on the garden-jungle-nightmare front campanula, it's ivy and false virginia creeper growing in from next door here. Ivy seems to drop millions of leaves throughout the entire year and even though my space is bigger than yours they get big enough to start growing into things and blocking sunlight. (You can see one wall in first pic below where they've not been cut back - whole lot will be like this soon. There's another, parallel wall off to the left of the photo with a decent sized bed below it that gets no direct sun despite being south-facing because of the bastard ivy.) The beds are another issue, full of weeds and soil that's mostly rubble, so I can never face dealing with them and just keep shuffling things around in ever-growing numbers of pots. Feels like one of those little slidey square picture puzzles you get in xmas crackers, planting anything always seems to mean rearranging/repotting ten other things first. And the watering!

On the subject of watering, was pleased to discover yesterday that none of the pots of pelargoniums donated by one of the night wardens here who used to work as a gardener have any drainage holes :facepalm::mad: Soil absolutely saturated with an inch of water standing on top. So that's today's job, try to drill holes in the bottom of the pots without emptying them first. Then I'll probably go to the allotment rather than face weeding the patio or miscellaneous pot chaos :rolleyes:

Posting these to try and shame myself into doing something about it :oops: Current state of the garden:
IMG-20210621-174144.jpg

IMG-20210621-173813.jpg

IMG-20210621-173744.jpg

IMG-20210621-173720.jpg

IMG-20210621-173656.jpg

iona - I would suggest drill up at an angle from just inside the bottom edge in a few places.
Speaking from experience, as I had to do that exercise a couple of years ago on some donated containers.

iona - I would suggest drill up at an angle from just inside the bottom edge in a few places.
Speaking from experience, as I had to do that exercise a couple of years ago on some donated containers.
Cheers, they're not massive pots so it was easy enough to hold them tilted at not quite 90 degrees while I drilled. I grow lots of stuff in repurposed containers (those big plastic council recycling boxes are good for potatoes) so plenty of experience with the actual drilling holes bit already, though I'd usually do it while containers are empty and can be stood upsidedown.

Found sawfly larvae and holes in my rose bush. A substantial amount too. :mad:

We saw the fly's last month but didn't know what they were. They were probably laying then. Had to cut a fair amount out and think we've fully protected one. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I'm keeping an eye on a number of poppies and other flowers around the garden from which I want to collect seeds ...

We have had quite a supply of poppy seeds, but most seemed to be infertile and didn't survive ...

e2a - got anotehr batch of sawflies (eggs etc) on the gooseberries.
Picked quite a batch off this morning - so a late breakfast / treat for some spuggies.

The allotment tomatoes are bafflingly rubbish. The very same toms I also grew for a customer, which are absolutely stupendous - already 3 foot tall, sturdy canes with flowers and numerous nipped out stems....while mine are, frankly, dismal. I know it's all in the soil but the difference is astonishing. I am going to have to apply TLC in the form of Osmacote and rigorous weed removal (which means ripping out the opportunistic nasturtiums currently threading between the canes). In panic mode, cos I limited myself to 20 plants, on the principle of growing less but better (!), I hastily filled 6 20litre pots with re-purposed soil from the indoor weed grow, (for anchor roots), topped with new John Innes 3 and some sieved compost (for feeding roots) and set them up in the greenhouse.
I did manage my first allotment meal - frittata, with broad beans, courgette, parsley, new potatoes (still too early but so, so good) and eggs from a neighbouring plot (swapped for sweet peas).
Also, in a rare fit of forward thinking, I staked the dahlias and sowed wallflowers.

In more horrible news, I have had to remove 3 headless fledglings, today. Along with 2 on Tuesday (one of which was a goldfinch).The vast numbers of dimwitted baby birds are sitting ducks for the local cats. I am struggling with hateful thoughts. Only the fact that they are someone's beloved pets, stayed my hand from getting the Black Widow out and lying in wait for the cattish thugs. Does anyone have any effective, but non-lethal suggestions to deter cats. I am usually OK with the whole cycle of prey and predators but find myself fucking loathing domestic cats, beheading baby birds for fun (quite apart from shitting wherever they bloody well feel like and trampling all over my seed beds). If dogs wandered around , killing and shitting with impunity, the local dog-wardens are on the case in a flash.

The allotment tomatoes are bafflingly rubbish. The very same toms I also grew for a customer, which are absolutely stupendous - already 3 foot tall, sturdy canes with flowers and numerous nipped out stems....while mine are, frankly, dismal. I know it's all in the soil but the difference is astonishing. I am going to have to apply TLC in the form of Osmacote and rigorous weed removal (which means ripping out the opportunistic nasturtiums currently threading between the canes). In panic mode, cos I limited myself to 20 plants, on the principle of growing less but better (!), I hastily filled 6 20litre pots with re-purposed soil from the indoor weed grow, (for anchor roots), topped with new John Innes 3 and some sieved compost (for feeding roots) and set them up in the greenhouse.
I did manage my first allotment meal - frittata, with broad beans, courgette, parsley, new potatoes (still too early but so, so good) and eggs from a neighbouring plot (swapped for sweet peas).
Also, in a rare fit of forward thinking, I staked the dahlias and sowed wallflowers.

In more horrible news, I have had to remove 3 headless fledglings, today. Along with 2 on Tuesday (one of which was a goldfinch).The vast numbers of dimwitted baby birds are sitting ducks for the local cats. I am struggling with hateful thoughts. Only the fact that they are someone's beloved pets, stayed my hand from getting the Black Widow out and lying in wait for the cattish thugs. Does anyone have any effective, but non-lethal suggestions to deter cats. I am usually OK with the whole cycle of prey and predators but find myself fucking loathing domestic cats, beheading baby birds for fun (quite apart from shitting wherever they bloody well feel like and trampling all over my seed beds). If dogs wandered around , killing and shitting with impunity, the local dog-wardens are on the case in a flash.
1624572347578.png

:(

Yes, once birds have fledged, a bell is really useful. Less so when sitting on the nest but able to hear doom approaching. I have heard cat-owners argue that cats are actually doing a beneficial cull but think this is fairly self-serving rubbish since all the young birds are easy prey at this time of year. It's a difficult one...not least because a couple of family members are keen cat-owners...and one of them is secretly quite proud of her cat's (completely unnecessary) hunting abilities.

ours takes ?teen? sparrows in flight - it's a sight to behold, can't help being awed by it. he's v efficient from the evidence i see i.e. none these days - what he catches he eats - only if it's a treat for all of us like a rat he brings it home. he exists, as do they, in the same place 🤷

not picking fights, campanula, it's something i struggle with - the impact we have on our neighbours/the ecosystem through our choices...

in other news - my first ripe mulberry :cool:

eta: it's a recently developed dwarf mulberry Charlotte Russe that seems to get nothing but a panning online. this is its 3rd year with me and it's been producing fruit since the start but i never get to the ripe ones before the sparrows lol. nothing to compare it to as i've never had a "real" mulberry, but it's happy in its pot & spot and genuinely tasty, so dead chuffed :)

Last edited:
i need to get some hedge sheers (hand tools) - anyone have any tips? think i'll go with telescopic cos manoevring ladders is tricky in a confined space. am attempting to somewhat de-confine, hence the sheers...

in other news - my first ripe mulberry :cool:

eta: it's a recently developed dwarf mulberry Charlotte Russe that seems to get nothing but a panning online. this is its 3rd year with me and it's been producing fruit since the start but i never get to the ripe ones before the sparrows lol. nothing to compare it to as i've never had a "real" mulberry, but it's happy in its pot & spot and genuinely tasty, so dead chuffed :)
That's good to know, I was gonna get one last year but didn't because of the shit reviews.

My dogs catch and eat baby birds in the garden 😢

Noooo, think I would be having harsh words with the sheepdog if she so much as lifted a paw to a fledgling.

Fortunately, she is an exceedingly cowardly dog and was harassed by crows as a puppy so has steered clear of (black) birds ever since.

i need to get some hedge sheers (hand tools) - anyone have any tips? think i'll go with telescopic cos manoevring ladders is tricky in a confined space. am attempting to somewhat de-confine, hence the sheers...
I've got Wolfgarten telescopic loppers which I'm impressed with, they've got 10-year guarantee which I'm also impressed with. They do shears too including telescopic.

Mulberries - I work in a Georgian rectory garden with a mulberry which is over 200 years old. It has been lashed, collared, wired to fuck but still produces an astonishing crop every year. Not due for a few weeks yet but we make mulberry and strawberry jam (a surprisingly good combo).
An amazingly gnarled but beautiful tree (although we had to take out a large branch this year and now only have drooping laterals, so somewhat stunted and lurching.
I also looked at dwarf mulberries as I am giving up on one of the cherries...but decided on a pear.instead ...mainly because my neighbour has 2 so they can cross pollinate (a single pear is useless and some, like Bramleys, need 2 partners).

Mulberries - I work in a Georgian rectory garden with a mulberry which is over 200 years old. It has been lashed, collared, wired to fuck but still produces an astonishing crop every year. Not due for a few weeks yet but we make mulberry and strawberry jam (a surprisingly good combo).
An amazingly gnarled but beautiful tree (although we had to take out a large branch this year and now only have drooping laterals, so somewhat stunted and lurching.
hard relate :D

i wanted to post this that went past on twitter too - was just thinking the other day when sweeping apples that sweeping is my favourite garden task. me, in the garden :eek:

It really depends on what sort of hedge you have.

Maybe give us more details - length, height, species, situation would all be useful to know

i don't know what it is :oops: except i planted it :facepalm::D it's a viney thing with tiny pink flowers that nicely builds up on the open fence it's growing on top of.

i have access to the other side this year so i figured do it properly rather than my traditional "haul it over this side and chop" approach :D

eta: also, if i could use them to keep the ivy in check from the other side i might get my sunny spot too :) how's finding yours going campula?

Last edited:
I'm also really impressed by my cordless hedge trimmers, I used the loppers to cut the hedge to a reasonable height that I can reach with the hedge trimmers every year. What andysays says though.

i don't know what it is :oops: except i planted it :facepalm::D it's a viney thing with tiny pink flowers that nicely builds up on the open fence it's growing on top of.

i have access to the other side this year so i figured do it properly rather than my traditional "haul it over this side and chop" approach :D

eta: also, if i could use them to keep the ivy in check from the other side i might get my sunny spot too :) how's finding yours going campula?
So it's a climber on a fence rather than a self supporting hedge?

How long is it? How high is the fence? What height do you want to reduce it to?

I deal with a lot of hedges in my work as a gardener on housing estates, and my general approach is to reduce the height where possible so all the work can be done while standing on the ground rather than using platforms etc.

In some contexts, this also has the benefit of increasing visibility and making people feel safer, though in other contexts you might want it to be high to provide a privacy screen.

Hand held hedge sheers will obviously take a lot longer than power tools, and telescopic ones will be more awkward to use than normal ones.

Unless it's a tiny area, I'd consider getting a battery powered hedge trimmer - you can get long arm versions for working above head height, but again they are more awkward to use than standard ones.

Back
Top Bottom