Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Definitely feel like no damsons of cherry's worth a damn this year, fruit seems to have either not set or been blown off while green in May... Unfortunate because I'm hoping this is the last year living here and using the plot.

Everything else is doing great (unless it's got leaves in which case the slugs and bugs say ta). I'm staring lovingly at my peas most evenings which is not something I ever expected to say growing up.

Gave up mid-afternoon as although the forecast was good, the actual weather is way too cloudy & humid resulting in an excessive number of carnivorous midgies.

A few days ago, I had sown a few seeds in the greenhouse (to give them a bit of a quick start) and there's already signs of germination ...

and, for the moment anyway, my cucamelons seem to be doing better than last year.

Next job is to determine if / when to do the evening watering as it looks as though it might rain a bit later.

Don't be harsh on yourself, rubbershoes - Rhapsody in Blue (your rose) is always a bit on the leggy side. Next year, it can take a REALLY hard pruning...or, you can give it a trim after it's first flush 0 it will throw new growth and have a secong flush in late summer.

first sweetpea is here. It's a delicious delicate purple colour and smells so bloody wonderful that in one sniff its fully justified the whole faff of sweet peas all over again.
I found yet another eccentric little plant-selling business yesterday, ten minutes from here, bought a big healthy black eyed susan for £3 and the man had a grey parrot in the nursery who doesn't talk much but whistles like an old fashioned sailor so that was good. Still havent met a plant-obsessed person that i don't like.

Glad I decided against bothering with the hose & watering can ...

It chucked it down overnight, that just leaves a few pots to check and water if needed.

After the email deluge, I have some WFH to do this morning, so going to do that now ...

Everything is growing like mad now. Spinach bolted which is a pain. Lots of watering needed now. Morning and night.
Only watering once... But it certainly needs it. Trying to get the curcubits to a decent size before the rain starts and the hungry slug army go on the march.

Everything is growing like mad now. Spinach bolted which is a pain. Lots of watering needed now. Morning and night.
Everything is drying out so quickly here too. I've been watering the recently planted stuff and the strawberries in pots with a watering can but need to get the seep hoses going.

I was going to do it last night but I washed the car recently so the connecting hose is in the garage and I couldn't be arsed to walk down there to get it. :D

Cheap plant bonanza late last night in Tesco's.
Got 2 scabious , 2 centaureau (dealbata & Montana) or to me one pink one blue. A heuchera , cat mint and a Dianthus . Selling them off for £1.25 down from 5 quid.
Something to go in my gifted pots.
IMG_20210615_153219.jpg

Finally got the hose connected so here's a couple of photos while it's doing its thing.

Rosa Iceberg and Dianthus Memories

More of the taller * self-seeded foxgloves and the elder is finally beginning to flower.

* the one on the left it close to six feet tall

And a few from the last couple of weeks which I didn't add to the thread before (?) ...

Finally got the hose connected so here's a couple of photos while it's doing its thing.

[
51240693609_39af55423f_h.jpg
[/URL]
Wassat??

Anyone else growing biennials? I have banged on about these before but they are such good value, to fill the gap after spring bulbs and before the June flowers peak. I had rather gaudy wallflowers this year so I have gone the other way, and am now sowing Ivory White and Primrose bedder (although still sowing the fabulous orange Siberian wallflowers, along with a seed variety of the lilac Bowles Mauve ('Little Kiss).
Also in the greenhouse - the extraordinary bee magnet, Blue Bedder - a dwarf version of Viper's Bugloss (or Viper's bloodlust as I call it). And Dyer's alkanet (a.tinctoria) for the roots. Lilac Sweet Rocket (because I only seem to have the white ones), Chinese forget-me-not (cynoglossum amabile) and, of couyrse, a range of foxgloves (especially the sterile, fabulously coloured 'Polka Dot' range). This will be my last seed sowing until late August (when it really ramps up to insane amounts of hardy annuals and perennials).
I have counted up my 2pound coins in the garden budget and made the tricky decision to forgo spring bulbs in favour of a proper solenoid and leaf misting system...which should revolutionise my backyard nursery).

I'm really impressed with people having allotments - I'd find it really difficult to travel there before doing the gardening - it's hard enough just getting out into the garden sometimes.

I'm really impressed with people having allotments - I'd find it really difficult to travel there before doing the gardening - it's hard enough just getting out into the garden sometimes.
I'm lucky that mine's only 5 minutes walk away.

There have been times, especially when my MH issues were still hard to deal with, when I struggle to motivate myself, but gardening has been and continues to be a life saver and a life rebuilder for me.

Um, I dither about, prevaricating and finding excuses to avoid getting on my bike, plus, an allotment visit usually requires going through the house and greenhouse, collecting stuff I need (seeds, gloves, tools, milk and tea, lighter etc etc. Especially in less than clement weather, I have to give myself a bit of a talking to. But, the second I unlock my bike, I can feel my spirits lifting in anticipation. Even when I know there are numerous tasks in a chaotic mess. It works for me EVERY SINGLE TIME. Cycling along a route I have done hundreds (thousands) of times, I know there is a smile on my face. Just unlocking the shed and I swear, I have simply shrugged off all the niggles, irritations, fears and worries, of everyday, and am now fully and deeply immersed in a world of pure sensation and an almost numinous sense of lifeness and the eternal. It fulfills every single need. Creative, aesthetic, nurturing, competence, reliability, desire, beauty, joy...and yep, even the negative stuff is somehow all contained in a few square metres of space. This is my 21st year at this allotment (have had others)...I find great strength in the continuity and tenacity of life...especially now my children (my other huge creative life project) are out in the world (much like my plants, once set free from the greenhouse).

And having packed my bag, knowing there is a comfy chair and tea-making stuff in my shed, I can linger for hours.

Back
Top Bottom