Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Again much smaller plants but yes do have this kind of triangular head. :)

Floxgloves
a-large-bed-of-foxgloves-flowers-digitalis-purpurea-EX392P.jpg

Lupins

81543.JPG

Sorry for the delay -
I think it is a greater mullein (or Aaron's rod),
one of the Verbascum family.
Are the leaves "downy" ? in which case it is "Aaron's Rod" or V. thapsus
Downy leaves yes!
Verbascum thapsus Great Mullein, Common mullein, Aaron's Rod, Flannel Plant, Hag Taper, Mullein, Torches, Velvet Plant PFAF Plant Database

Yes...this is the monster! :D

man.gif
flower.gif

Verbascum thapsus is a BIENNIAL growing to 1.8 m (6ft) at a fast rate.
It is hardy to zone (UK) 3 and is not frost tender. It is in flower from Jun to August, and the seeds ripen from Aug to September. The species is hermaphrodite (has both male and female organs) and are pollinated by Flies, lepidoptera, self.The plant is self-fertile.
Suitable for: light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils and prefers well-drained soil. Suitable pH: acid, neutral and basic (alkaline) soils and can grow in very alkaline soils.
It cannot grow in the shade. It prefers dry or moist soil. The plant can tolerates strong winds but not maritime exposure.

I have a question too: what is?? IMG_20180602_145329408.jpg IMG_20180602_145256540.jpg IMG_20180602_145314175.jpg IMG_20180602_145247993.jpg

It has appeared through a crack in a pavedish area and I though it looked a bit iris-y at first but now it has these cute little yellow flowers. No clue what it might be!

sisyrinchium striatum. These are relatively common in the UK but there are quite a few smaller 'blue eyed grasses' - s.angustifolium, s .bellum and also found in yellow (s.californicum which are terrific for troughs and gravel beds.. A reliable, xeric, long lived genus.

Nah golden rod has those yellow compound flower end fluffy things
This has individual flower units.
its quite pretty

Back
Top Bottom