Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

booooo! if you had the bbq you could have that party and make everyone move a slag in exchange for a sausage :D

booooo! if you had the bbq you could have that party and make everyone move a slag in exchange for a sausage :D

My cunning plan is to finish the bbq just in time for the 'Let's move the massive shed' party....I think it might work :hmm:

ETA: here is the monster shed and illustrates why I will need a small army to move it:

2vuemnr.jpg

In other news I just rescued these frames from up the road whilst walking the dog...They screamed planter at me and so it would be rude not to. :)

ajnk83.jpg

Last edited:
You'll have to watch that it doesn't split down the middle !

I would suggest ordering some 3x2s and bolt them securely to the shed - both for carrying handles and to reinforce the structure.

Last edited:
I got my baskets up. Let's hope it's worth the effort... my main worry is I simply won't appreciate them from enough viewpoints.
That's my "Robinson Crusoe" passionflower arbour between the greenhouse and the block extension (to be precise a half-finished folly I built 20 years ago ...)

basketsnewsmall.jpg

I have 3 begonia corms probably rotting in unsuitable compost for the one by the greenhouse. :hmm:
I think I have some perlite somewhere ...
And after failing to find fuchsia "Voodoo" at the garden centre for the other basket, I've ordered them from Parkers and am getting free lilies. :)
I know the idea is to plant up baskets and keep them in the greenhouse and hang them ready-established- but I need them there as place-markers so I can guide the climbers around them .. I can fit three 1 litre pots in each, so hopefully if I get the plants to that size, they'll pop right in and I won't lose much time.

But I got another fiery, fragrant lily, a red-leaved and fiery canna and a ginger - hedychium gardenerium - not sure how the latter two will do in 15 litre pots, but at least I'll get some foliage... and some ready-growing sweet peas.
And I thought I ought to try Rudbeckia "rustic dwarfs" again after 30 years .. the only other "daisy" I always grow is French marigolds.

The bulbs I plantes a while ago have shown no signs of life :(
I might just go and buy some plants instead. Fucksake.

Sadly there must be a cut-off date for bulb planting. :(
I got away with early Feb - I know because it was then because it was that bit of frantic gardening one Sunday that triggered 6 weeks of sciatica. :p
Several years I ended up chucking away the dessicated bulbs months later.

Pansies are good at the moment. :)

busy bee 1.jpg
The borage patch must be at least 3x5m now. Bees love the flowers and I love watching the bees :)

kerria 1.jpg
Past its best but 10/10 for tenacity, after pruning the ground elder will take over.

umbrella tree 1.jpg
I call it the umbrella tree. Not my favourite but the bees seem to like the catkins.

I saw some tulips today and wished I'd planted some. :)

I always buy the cheap ones in supermarkets. Think they got planted around November last year. Still, didn't manage to plant all I bought and got some that have started growing anyway still on the shelf.

Your place is looking amazing mumbles! :cool: I remember when you first started it so it's great to see it looking mature and fabulous...Mine will not be at it's best until next year at least but I am determind to get some enjoyment out of it this year. I have been thinking about lighting too, oh and I have a couple of hammocks to go up in the middle section where I have moved the compost & blackboard away from around the trees. It's hard work but exciting! :)

It is really starting to mature nicely.. Have a couple of areas that need a little more planting.. Am pondering what to do

i need some ideas.

My garden is a small ish urban garden, so it has walls and fences all round it. I need to grow stuff up them to stop the place looking like Creosote Prison. I have more clematis than you can shake a stick at, four different ivys, a white broom (stunning) and this:
PL0000001726_card_lg.jpg

I need ideas for evergreen climbers, or very tall thin trees. They need to be white, green, blue, purple, pink- no red, orange or yellow (as the garden is quite small I've restricted the palate, and gone for soothing as its supposed to be my retreat.

I've found star jasmine
PL0000001728_card_lg.jpg
and a hydrangea
PL0000003991_card_lg.jpg

I'm going to take a cutting of my mum's chocolate vine which is semi evergreen….any other ideas?

A shame it has to be evergreen.

I have passionflower - but that will get knocked back during the occasional proper winter, Virginia creeper which is as tough as old boots but deciduous, and golden hop - which dies right down to the ground but is an annual delight - perhaps even after the moth caterpillars and rust have taken their toll ...
I was in a garden centre on Monday and was amazed to hear someone actually wanting to buy Russian vine - though that isn't nearly as scary as its dodgy cousin Japanese Knotweed.

If I had more space, I always fancied actinidia - perhaps the kiwi fruit, but also the one with the strawberry blotches - kolomikta.

Last edited:
I have hop and Virginia creeper gentlegreen .... I need some evergreens to make sure I don't have a bald winter!!

foamy I think they are the same.... But camellia is a good idea- I rescued one that was buried in the garden, but another is a good idea

A Camellia would be good but don't forget they like acid soil and don't plant it where it will get sun on frosty mornings as it can damage the flowers.

What about an evergreen honeysuckle?

Shocking how none of the seeds I bought in 2010 are germinating - I'd have thought my house was a reasonable environment ... I'll have to go out for more seeds later - and probably buy all my tomatoes as plants - they were only 99p last time I went to the shop and bought a "Gardener's Delight" - annoyingly they never seem to have pointy peppers.

The new seeds of ornamentals I sowed last weekend are already starting to emerge - some of them like cress.

I maintain the compost temperature in my indoor "greenhouse" at between 15 and 20 degrees on the seed shelf directly over the tube heater - and have room above that for two or three trays under lights - but clearly I'll want to keep the cost down.

I have a plastic greenhouse inside my glass greenhouse ready to start accepting plants once my indoor facility is no longer the sensible place for them. I probably ought to experiment with my spare 200 watt heater to compare the pros and cons.

Outdoors the temperature is still dipping to below 5 degrees some nights - one of my brugmansias in the greenhouse is producing anaemic -looking leaves. :hmm:

Hopefully it's cold and not virus.

With a bit of luck, I'll have several spare datura metel 'Belle Blanche' plants in case the brugs let me down.

I'm going to have a crazy number of amaranthus (red seedlings) and night-scented stocks - lower left.
In practice I only need one amaranthus - they're big plants ... plus one or two for emergencies.
The stocks are messy, straggly, mauvish things - perhaps I'll pick up a cheap trough for my window ledge...

likecresslowres.jpg

Last edited:
I seem to now have a "white, sunken garden" up near the house - with the white occurring again beyond the tree fern in the shape of the white brugmansia and a row of giant nicotiana sylvestris.

All this because I planted my hop and miscanthus in the ground and had two of my huge builder's tubs available - I also have some freebie tall white lilies on the way.

The poor old greenhouse crops will be losing out big time - but hopefully the 3 or 4 tomatoes and peppers will do well enough along the back wall.
Nothing else edible - what was to be my salad bed alongside the greenhouse now has two enormous brugmansias - sitting behind a veil of verbena bonariensis - plus all the buckets of lilies and other plants as they become ready or go over - but then it was only ever a cat toilet in any case.
I have a spare tub in the "white garden" - though it's on the north-facing wall and shaded again by the house .. I might try some salad in it.
garden2014.jpg

Well it's a popular vegetable in the Carribean (callaloo). :D
Mostly it's if the first one goes wrong - though the spares will be squashed into small pots.
I probably should have sown a couple of seeds a week so I would have a succession...

One day I will have a big enough garden to do this properly...

Last edited:
I had a funny 5 minutes yesterday and considered a white scented rose for another tub right in the middle of my seating area ... :hmm:
Scent-wise, it could all get a bit much if it goes to plan - it's my first time with sweet peas ... and the datura I'm trying is supposed to be very free-flowering too.

But the neighbours are rather smelly...

The ornamental bark is already proving too pungent for me and I fear the cats may start pooing in it ... I have a trial bag down on the path by the greenhouse - perhaps I'll weather it a bit at the end of the garden before deploying it.
There's a pallet-load of smooth 20mm pebbles on the main area so the mud is only a problem when the weather's really wet - the soil here is very free-draining so it only needs a slight nudge in the right direction - so if I put any bark down, I'll do it sparingly.
My intention is to be able to safely go barefoot.

Back
Top Bottom