Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The FBI created a closed encrypted app, AN0M, for criminals - over 800 arrests so far.

cupid_stunt

Chief seagull hater & farmerbarleymow's nemesis.
This is an amazing, and developing story, the FBI create a closed encrypted app, AN0M, which has been widely used by organised criminals across the world, and now arrests are being made in several countries, so far over 800, with more to come. :D
For nearly three years, law enforcement officials have been sitting in the back pocket of some of the world’s top alleged crime figures. Custom cellphones, bought on the black market and installed with the FBI-controlled platform, called AN0M, circulated and grew in popularity among criminals as high-profile crime identities vouched for its integrity.

The FBI in the past has dismantled encrypted platforms used by criminals to communicate, and infiltrated others. This operation saw the FBI create a closed encrypted app, AN0M, to fill the void and to target organized crime, drug trafficking and money laundering activities across the globe by monitoring people’s communications about their criminal offending.

A breakthrough came after Australian police met with the FBI in 2018, over a couple of beers, according to officials. The AFP then built a technical capability to access, decrypt and read communications on the FBI’s platform.
The users believed their AN0M devices were secured by encryption. Rather, they were feeding criminal intelligence directly to law enforcement agents.

“Essentially, they have handcuffed each other by endorsing and trusting AN0M and openly communicating on it — not knowing we were watching the entire time,” Australian Federal Police Commissioner Reece Kershaw said.

The global operation, known as Special Operation Ironside in Australia and Trojan Shield in the United States, has allegedly exposed criminals linked to South American drug cartels, Triad groups in Asia, and criminal syndicates based in the Middle East and Europe.

Finally confirmation the UK was involved.

The UK's National Crime Agency said it had carried out "multiple operations" as part of Trojan Shield, but would not reveal further details of its work or an estimated number of ANOM users based in Britain.

A spokeswoman said: "The National Crime Agency is proud to have been a partner in what has been an innovative and complex operation to target criminals operating globally and using encrypted communications platforms. As part of this, the NCA has conducted multiple operations targeting organised crime groups involved in drug trafficking and money laundering.

"This operation has demonstrated that, in the face of the rapidly evolving threat from criminals exploiting the fast expansion of technology, the NCA is committed to working across international borders to target organised criminals, wherever they are and however they communicate."

Some interesting stats, so far...

• More than 20,000 encrypted devices used by 300 criminals [I assume they mean gangs] across more than 100 countries
• 27 million messages reviewed over 18 months
• At least 800 arrests across 700 searched locations

Can't be too many thousands of years now before we get that app that spies on police corruption.

Even with cameras at the ready on our phones, reporting police brutality can still be very tricky. However, thanks to a black-owned tech company, they are hoping to make the lines a little less blurred when it comes to exposing officers for misconduct. Through the RightThere Corp., Protech, an app to combat police brutality, was launched in 2018. The tech company was established by Maria Watkins, a Birmingham, Alabama, native. The entrepreneur developed the project in 2017 and soon the app will be available to both Android and Apple devices.

The app includes GPS tracking, voice and touch activation, which can be used to alert emergency contacts. The app also has your back when it comes to collecting evidence through its audiovisual surveillance. This helps individuals file substantial complaints to the proper agencies. The app also provides access to a legal referral network, so not only does it help you during an incident but it provides resources and tools afterward to help you get the justice you deserve.

So, let’s say you find that you’re being wrongfully detained or you feel unsafe when approached by an officer. The app can be activated through touch or a voice prompt if your hands are a bit tied up at the moment. The RTP Protech will start recording audio and visual data and lock down your location through GPS just in case help needs to be sent your way. The app contacts and sends the information to the emergency contacts you listed.

Finally confirmation the UK was involved.

Some interesting stats, so far...

• More than 20,000 encrypted devices used by 300 criminals [I assume they mean gangs] across more than 100 countries
• 27 million messages reviewed over 18 months
• At least 800 arrests across 700 searched locations

for gangs read ocgs

There is no such thing as secure encryption, it can all be broken one way or another. But international drug dealing and its concomitant violence can’t be arranged in person all the time, comms must be used. But they are probably better off with Snapchat on burner phones than Encrochat type devices which are only used by crims and no one else.

Is that why state security keeps asking encryption providers to provide backdoors into their systems? That doesn't strike me as ringing with confidence that they can easily crack modern encryption.

Broken, not cracked. Remember Silk Road? The weakest link in all these things is the human, and every message is sent and received by one. Enigma was cracked in a very large part due to human error too...

There is no such thing as secure encryption, it can all be broken one way or another. But international drug dealing and its concomitant violence can’t be arranged in person all the time, comms must be used. But they are probably better off with Snapchat on burner phones than Encrochat type devices which are only used by crims and no one else.
From what I can tell, this was done in the same sort of way as Encrochat. The encryption itself wasn't the downfall, it was access to the service via an insider/ malware being installed by an insider.

PGP still seems to be pretty solid if you're just chatting back and forth and no one has access to your private key

Broken, not cracked. Remember Silk Road? The weakest link in all these things is the human, and every message is sent and received by one. Enigma was cracked in a very large part due to human error too...

Sure, but that's a failure of operational security, not of communication security. Don't do dumb shit like wish your top leader happy birthday, thus defeating the purpose of changing ciphers.

From what I can tell, this was done in the same sort of way as Encrochat. The encryption itself wasn't the downfall, it was access to the service via an insider/ malware being installed by an insider.

PGP still seems to be pretty solid if you're just chatting back and forth and no one has access to your private key

AM0N was actually created by/for the FBI specifically to lull malfaiteurs in to thinking it was a secure comms system.

Sure, but that's a failure of operational security, not of communication security. Don't do dumb shit like wish your top leader happy birthday, thus defeating the purpose of changing ciphers.

But all systems have human end users and they get careless, which is why all systems can be broken.

Of course, so should you be thinking of retraining in international drug trafficking you need to think very carefully about how you use comms.
I think it would be best if we thought of some code words to throw the feds off our trail. Next time I ask you if "our special guest" is arriving on the 2.30 from Bogata, I won't be referring to my auntie. Fuck this encryption lark. Back to basics for our next earners.

Last edited:
Are you telling me that drug dealers don’t ring each other up on their landlines and say “hello. my good fellow. Coukd you sell me a kilogram of your finest Bolivian cocaine please. I will pay you £50,000 of your English pounds. I suggest we meet at 1245 tomorrow (Thursday) in the car park of the Droitwich Sainsbury’s. My man will be driving a black BMW 5 series registration number DrU6 B0Y. Would you be so kind as not to attempt a offence of robbery against my associates and myself as we will be carrying two of Messrs Glock’ s most efficient handguns and we could all get dreadfully discombobulated. I look forward to doing business again with you in the future.”

I’m more subtle than that. I always ask my mate for CD’s saying I’m looking for some good tunes. He’s a DJ so it’s a foolproof code that would stand up in court :D

That would definitely work in court. I am a judge myself and the mention of CDs would bring back many happy memories of my youth, purchasing them in 'record' shops, and sharing them with friends. I would explain what cds were and mention this to the youthful jury in my judgement before apologising to you for the mix-up and castigating Interpol for extraditing you from Spain.. 😀

I’m more subtle than that. I always ask my mate for CD’s saying I’m looking for some good tunes. He’s a DJ so it’s a foolproof code that would stand up in court :D
Unless you mentioned it on a bulletin board somewhere .... oh shit :(

one time pads cant be broken
BATCO anyone?
all the fun of encyrpting messages under a poncho in the rain with a torch light.
As if 3rd shock army was going to give a dam who was in the grid square they'd nuked nerve gassed or otherwise malleted

Back
Top Bottom