Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The elusive ingredient thread

Orang Utan

Psychick Worrier Ov Geyoor
I wasn’t sure where to ask the following question, so thought it might be worth starting a thread for people to seek advice on how to locate ingredients they might not be able to get in supermarkets.

I’m after some whey. Proper whey, not protein powder for body builders. The liquid whey that you get from making cheese. A recipe calls for it. May just substitute with veg stock if I can’t locate.
Anyone know where I might score some, apart from farm shops? I think it may be more popular in middle eastern cuisine than in others.
Or do you think I could use whey protein powder like I’d use a stock cube?

Also merguez sausages?
The only ones I can get are beef rather than lamb, from the halal section of Sainsbury’s or Waitrose, but they’re only vaguely-spiced like the ones I’m used to and they’re thick, when they should be thin.

I wasn’t sure where to ask the following question, so thought it might be worth starting a thread for people to seek advice on how to locate ingredients they might not be able to get in supermarkets.

I’m after some whey. Proper whey, not protein powder for body builders. The liquid whey that you get from making cheese. A recipe calls for it. May just substitute with veg stock if I can’t locate.
Anyone know where I might score some, apart from farm shops? I think it may be more popular in middle eastern cuisine than in others.
Or do you think I could use whey protein powder like I’d use a stock cube?

You can’t use whey protein powder it’s normally flavoured. Unless you’re making a dessert.

Also merguez sausages?
The only ones I can get are beef rather than lamb, from the halal section of Sainsbury’s or Waitrose, but they’re only vaguely-spiced like the ones I’m used to and they’re thick, when they should be thin.

Ron Merlin eats them,he'll be able to tell you.
If there's no Moroccan butcher's round your way, then mail order is your friend.
I've tried a variety of sources but these are pretty good.
s-l500.png

I've not tried Lidgate's merguez yet but am tempted.
320_459x306.jpg

I make yogurt quite regularly and I'm inundated with whey because I like to leave it to thicken into 'Greek style', by letting the whey leak out. I normally just drink it with a bit of fruit juice or squash mixed in, but the point is if I make 1.5l of yogurt, easily a pint of it will drain out as whey.

So basically, consider buying a yogurt maker and then you'll have a potentially unlimited source of thick creamy yogurt (for essentially the price of plain milk :thumbs:), as well as whey. I know its not a solution for today, but in the long term IMO worth a thought.

The one I have is this one, it's simple and versatile.

“Make whey while the sun shines”. I laughed because it’s the sort of cryptic Dad joke pun I make. They pass everyone by, but that’s part of the fun.
Aaah gotcha - I do quite like puns but sometimes autistic brain communication defaults to literal interpretation - I think that's one of the reasons I am fascinated by puns, because I really don't always get them straight away so when I have one to make I tend to think it's quite clever :D
If you hadn't said, it would quite probably have occurred to me in the middle of the night when I was trying to get to sleep or summat :D

Also you can make whey by putting milk in a jar on a sunny windowsill instead of warming it on the hob, so there is that :D

Back
Top Bottom